Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 06:17 AM

37 posts, read 185,768 times

Advertisements

I have been looking on Realtor.com at a few places in NC.Don't want to be too far from Greensboro where our son lives.
What about Trinity....Thomasville....Lexington???
Retired so schools are not an issue.

Hopefully early 2007

RD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 09:32 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,152 times
Try the town of "Whitsett" seems to be up and coming. Lexington is nice too.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM

127 posts, read 599,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
I have been looking on Realtor.com at a few places in NC.Don't want to be too far from Greensboro where our son lives.

Hopefully early 2007

RD
Try Summerfiled and Oak Ridge (just on the NW border of Greensboro).

Thomasville is somewhat dumpy. There may be a good part of that town that I've never seen, but the parts I have seen are rather run-down.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 AM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post

Hopefully early 2007

RD
Hi Roger,

Here is a previous thread with information about Lexington.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ight=Lexington

My own perception of Thomasville is that it's also a city on the decline. I looked at a house there in the spring of 2005. The house was nice but I didn't care for Thomasville. It's another city that looks economically depressed and depressing, IMO. Furniture manufacturing was once a big industry there. Thomasville looks like a city that has lost a lot of it's primary industry.

Trinity is in Randolph county. Looked at a couple places in Trinity. Too close to large production poultry farms for my liking. If you've lived downwind from one ( we have) or been unable to stand the stench when the manure is spread on the fields in the summer heat you'd probably rather not do it a second time. Too many trashy trailers and trashy trailer parks, too, really run down, in Randolph county for the workers who work on the poultry farms in Randolph. Poultry production is either the first or second largest industry (I've forgotten which) in Randolph County.

It's entirely possible that we missed some nice areas of Trinity but it isn't very big.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-03-2006 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 13,500 times
Hi Roger,

I second the Whitsett area. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle I suggest heading east. My one of friends recently moved to Whitsett and loves it. There's a community there called Stoney Creek that is really nice (w/ an award winning golf course).

Graham and Gibsonville are two other good choices. Gibsonville is in Guilford county, as a matter of fact. Both are small historic towns w/ a strong community feel, low cost housing, low crime rate, etc.

Good luck on your decision!

_bubbles

Old 11-04-2006, 12:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I agree about northwest Greensboro. I also recommend Pleasant Garden. A pretty little town. I loved it when I lived there.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 PM

53 posts, read 272,439 times
We can't wait to move to Lexington. The job market may be on the decline; however, it is 15 miles from High Point, 20 miles from WS, 30 from Greensboro, 45 from Charlotte, and close to other small towns. I've commuted 45 minutes just to go 15 miles across town. At least the highway system there is good and there is no Lexington traffic backups so it is a straight shot to lots of employment options. My husband and I aren't having any difficulty finding work- I guess it just depends on one's occupation and marketability.

We just bought a house in Lexington at High Rock Lake and I can't wait until next month when we move there. Lexington was by far the best place I researched and visited multiple times in NC. We went to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Statesville, Hunterville, Gastonia, and about 20 other small cities around them. Lexington had the friendliest people (I wasn't expecting a small town to be friendly towards my interracial family), the lake is beautiful, there is very little traffic, tons of places to eat (they were lacking good hotels though & Sundays and Mondays are when all the mom/pop shops take the day off so the town is a bit dead then), plenty of shops, a great historic downtown, Davidson County schools are good, Finch park is incredible (the playground was sponsored by the Kimberly Clark Co.), there are a lot of other little neighborhood parks, there are historic homes in nice areas w/ quaint little parks, and there are two golf courses not to mention all of the lake activities. It is not a town for single people or really young people. It is more of a slow-paced, family-oriented community. I currently live in a city of a million people and I hate watching my kids grow up surrounded by violence, people who ignore one another, and such a congested, hurried pace. Lexington reminds me of Hershey, PA where I lived when I was young. On the surface there may not be all the things of a larger area (museums, zoos, water parks, malls, etc.) but all of those things are within a quick drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point