Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 11:55 AM

39 posts, read 156,495 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some information on Winston-Salem or Greensboro?

Are either of these close to a university? What is the job market like? I would like an area with a historic district/great downtown area, but I can't tell if either of these cities are much like that. What areas to avoid? I am interested to see how safe these areas are, but I have no kids, so schools systems are not an issue.

Suggestions of other NC cities/towns and what you like about them would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCarrie View Post
Can anyone give me some information on Winston-Salem or Greensboro?

Are either of these close to a university? What is the job market like? I would like an area with a historic district/great downtown area, but I can't tell if either of these cities are much like that. What areas to avoid? I am interested to see how safe these areas are, but I have no kids, so schools systems are not an issue.

Suggestions of other NC cities/towns and what you like about them would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
Based on what you're looking for I don't think Winston/Greensboro is for you.

I think the Raleigh/Durham area would fit your needs better. It has several major universities (Duke, North Carolina, NC State) and has more action than Winston/Greensboro.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Winston-Salem has Wake Forest University. I'm thinking there may also be a Winston-Salem State University, but I could be mistaken.

Winston has Old Salem downtown. I'm not sure of any other historic area there.

Greensboro has Guilford College, UNC-G, Bennett College and NC A & T State University.

I'm not sure if Greensboro has a historic district. It's possible.

Greensboro's been doing a lot of downtown revitalization, from what I hear. (I haven't been downtown in years.) Including condos.

Avoid eastern Greensboro and parts of southern and southeast Greensboro. The closer to the country you are on those sides, the better.

Raleigh and Charlotte have a lot to offer, but have more people and more traffic.

Wilmington is great (has a lovely historic district), but hurricanes are cause for concern.

Asheville is another great city. Smaller than the other cities mentioned, but has a great mix of people. It's a very artsy place.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:14 AM

14 posts, read 52,785 times
Greensboro College is in Greensboro too, as is Elon's law school.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
If I had to choose between the two cities I would choose Greensboro. Winston downtown is still mostly industrial. You will be within in minutes of all the colleges listed above.

Niki you got to make a trip to greensboro I was amazed when I went there. It very hopping downtown and it should be with it close proximity to all those colleges and still has it historic character. I find residents of Greensboro real friendly so Indy Carrie you will be making friends in no time. The civic leaders did a excellent job revitalizing that area.

If you do a google map on greensboro you can see all the colleges and close proximity they are to each other. I dont know what traffic is like where you are but it very minimal in Greensboro a few bottle neck areas but that about it.
If you are looking for historic home there plenty close to the downtown especially down market st or Friendly. On google map look for a home between Greensboro College and Guilford college for that type of home. Other wize follow Niki suggestion she hit it right on money of safe areas.

It a very relax type of area.

If I choose Winston I would want to be between Wake Forest and Old Salem but again it still mostly industrial kinda shuts down at 5.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Winston-Salem has Wake Forest University. I'm thinking there may also be a Winston-Salem State University, but I could be mistaken.

Winston has Old Salem downtown. I'm not sure of any other historic area there.
In addition to Wake, there is a Winston-Salem University (which has a great new nursing program)..there's also NC School of the Arts and Salem College. The community college system also has a number of opportunities.

http://www.wfu.edu/
http://www.wssu.edu/wssu
http://www.ncarts.edu/ (broken link)
http://www.salem.edu/
http://www.forsythtech.edu/

Depending on what you're looking for in a Historic area, there's several small towns around Winston that might be just the historic town that you're looking for. It all depends on where you'll be working for the distance to work, etc. and how much money you've got to spend on a house.

Bethabara http://www.bethabarapark.org/
Bethania
Rural Hall
Germanton
Kernersville
Old Salem
... and the list goes on & on!

You really should come for a visit & see what you think!! Once you can narrow down what you're looking for we can be a lot more helpful

http://www.visitwinstonsalem.com/

You could also move to the other side of Greensboro to Burlington, which would put you close to G-boro and also Elon College (and not too far from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill either). There's a ton of growth in that area right now!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Winston-Salem is a much better city to me, with a much more urban feel and look (see the impressive skyline). Moreover, downtown WS is currently seeing an explosion of development downtown, including mixed used complexes with condos, restaurants, retail, arts, and towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point