U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:34 AM

333 posts, read 1,098,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
I personally am not a Starbucks fan, actually I hate their coffee, and have found much better places to buy good coffee ( the Donut blend at Juice&Java in High Point for one. Plus they have phenominal Mango smoothies :-)

===

You wrote:
+++++++

I saw a story on TV the other day that in some neighborhoods in NYC they literally have a Starbucks on one side of the road, and another on the opposite side of the street, literally across from each other due to the high foot traffic. In Michigan you can find one about every 4 miles in suburbia, not as bad as CVS, Walgreens, etc but getting there (we have one of those every 2 miles).

Built it (jobs, people, homes) ...they will come

====

Sure they will ...bringing in their minimum wage or little better paying jobs. I don't consider that an attribute or bonus to the area, anymore than I do when I see a Walgreens go in directly across the street the street from an Eckerds drug store, with yet another drugstore already established within 5 miles of the second two. Who gets put out of business first?
Gosh having a bad evening?? lol

Well all those new Fidelity jobs heading down to NC are paying on average $54K I believe. Don't feel that is minimum wage. I go on monster or headhunter and see a ton of accounting and financial jobs in the 60-80K range... as good or better than they pay here in MI for the same work.

I guess it depends what field the work is in. Now I will say for teachers, MI is 2nd best paying in the nation so it would be a drastic drop for that field - and newsflash, a clerk in Walgreens is going to be paid pretty much the same in any location in the country. But you know, for each Walgreen there is a pharmacist ...or two...or three... many of which make $85-$100K+. Again, there are good, medium, and "not so well" paying jobs with the progress. I see yuo are the half empty type of gal that's ok. I will spread my naive sunshine then hah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,192,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy
.. also they have some of the most corrupt management since Enron.
Had .. past tense

It's a wonder that the former manager made it out of the city without being tarred 'n feathered. Because of the KK fame (thank Bob there was no reason to add an extra 'K') and grandiose plans, W-S was staging itself to become a city of renown, not just in the usual back of the pack behind Charlotte and Raleigh. People were p*ssed at what happened to that company. It was an embarrassment to those who take pride in living in that area.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:39 AM

333 posts, read 1,098,019 times
Pharmacists

Actually I am probably undershooting these new jobs and what they pay. I googled a CNN story in 2002 how CVS Walgreens and even Wal marts were paying graduates 75-85K, 4 years ago...straight out of college. So this is 4 years later.... and just imagine what the experienced ones are going to make

I know I know, for every 2 pharamacists there are 15 clerks...how dare these CVS and Walgreens not pay clerks $30/hour!

Anyhow here ya go - with the progress comes bad, average, and good jobs. Money flows into the economy. I assume you realize we are in a capitalist society thats how it works. If unhappy with job level, you have to go get training or education that can get you into better jobs. In 2/3 of the worlds countries that is not even a choice so we should feel 'lucky' we can

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/04/04/pharmacist.shortage.ap/ (broken link)

Old 08-05-2006, 06:18 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,379,453 times
Quote:
I personally am not a Starbucks fan, actually I hate their coffee...
Huh, I thought it was just me! If it were up to my Starbucks spending habits, they would have never grown to be the mega-corp that they are now.

I think their coffee tastes like ground dirt. No, before you ask, I've never actually eaten ground dirt. But if I ever do, I'll bet it will taste like Starbucks coffee.

We have little stores in this area called "Wawa" (I know, funny name) which has the coffee pots brewing all day long. Fantastic coffee!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 PM

463 posts, read 1,519,766 times
ROFL! It's so nice to know I'm not alone in thinking their coffee is awful. Plus, I'm a coffee snob. You'd think I'd like it. I tried, honest I did, but I can't stand it. Dunkin' Donuts was my favorite coffee before moving here- I used to buy it by the pound. I ordered it online for a while after moving, but then discovered a great local place. Thanks for the tip about Wawa! I'd never heard of them. Will have to try some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream
Huh, I thought it was just me! If it were up to my Starbucks spending habits, they would have never grown to be the mega-corp that they are now.

I think their coffee tastes like ground dirt. No, before you ask, I've never actually eaten ground dirt. But if I ever do, I'll bet it will taste like Starbucks coffee.

We have little stores in this area called "Wawa" (I know, funny name) which has the coffee pots brewing all day long. Fantastic coffee!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,082,462 times
Add my hubby in too, he hates Starbucks coffee also. I am a tea drinker, nice hot cup of tea in the AM, they have by far the worst tea! It's terrible! Infact, when I travel for work I bring my own teabags and just get a cup of hot water and if I forget I go with out it's that bad.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:55 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,848,235 times
Fortunately most NC cities have a ton of independent, locally-owned coffee shops that give excellent alternatives to Starbucks. Raleigh alone has dozens of them. And unlike chains, you can tell these folks usually care very deeply about their customers and work really hard to please you.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 PM

Gosh having a bad evening?? lol

===

No, I simply have a different idea of "progress" than you. And thinking about it, I'd be pretty ticked if I had forked out the big bucks for a Starbucks franchise, only to have another one go in across the street or just a few miles from me.

====
You wrote:
==========

Well all those new Fidelity jobs heading down to NC are paying on average $54K I believe. Don't feel that is minimum wage. I go on monster or headhunter and see a ton of accounting and financial jobs in the 60-80K range... as good or better than they pay here in MI for the same work.
==========

We weren't speaking of the Fidelity jobs, we were talking about Starbucks. Then I made a comparison to some drugstore chains, all within a few miles of each other that are competing for customers.

Re: jobs like Fidelity. I've seen the state give plenty of financial incentives to bring big companies in, and watched the companies, in turn, bring in a bunch of their own people rather than hiring the locals. But who knows, maybe one of those big companies will make an exception for you if/when you decide to move here.

Many of us aren't in finance nor are we pharmacists. I have a college degree, and don't care to go back to school, and in NC I'd have to have a year of residence ( which means 6 more months) to attend even a Community College, unless I want to pay out of state tuition, which I don't.
======
You wrote:

Again, there are good, medium, and "not so well" paying jobs with the progress. I see yuo are the half empty type of gal that's ok. I will spread my naive sunshine then hah.
====

No, I'm a realist who is *from* NC, moved to NoVA - ( ooh and you should see what "progress" did to our beautiful county there) and then moved back to NC. I'm not getting my information from online articles. I live here No hard feelings. I just get a lil bothered when people who have never lived here and possibly never will encourage others to make the move based on online articles. That's all you have to go on. You've never lived here. For some of us the reality is different especially when it comes to job opportunities and pay.

It's one of the reasons I like "i'm informed posts" even if some others don't. At least he has a basis that's grounded in real experience for not wanting to stay any longer. He's lived here 7 years if memory serves me- but people don't seem to want to hear what he has to say.. perhaps because it isn't what they want to hear? Plus I admire his being brave enough to speak up even when it's an unpopular position in the face of those who want to believe that NC is Nirvana.

There are a LOT of things I love about North Carolina, but I'm under no illusions that it doesn't have some pretty significant problems.

I hope that people who are thinking about moving here do a lot more than online reading when making their decisions.

Last edited by Cassie; 08-06-2006 at 12:00 AM..

Old 08-05-2006, 11:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,769,788 times
Quote:
Many of us aren't in finance nor are we pharmacists. I have a college degree, and don't care to go back to school, and in NC I'd have to wait a year after residence ( which means 6 more months) to attend even a Community College, unless I want to pay in state tuition, which I don't.
======.
Cassie can you please say more about the having to wait 6 months to attend a community college. Are you referring to the tuition rate per credit for residence vs. non-residence?

Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
Fortunately most NC cities have a ton of independent, locally-owned coffee shops that give excellent alternatives to Starbucks. Raleigh alone has dozens of them. And unlike chains, you can tell these folks usually care very deeply about their customers and work really hard to please you.
You're right about that, Rob. The local store I found roasts their beans almost daily- and not only is the coffee wonderful but so is the owner and staff. Heck, the manager even put my husband in touch with someone who lined up a job interview for him. Now that's service.

All kidding aside, moving back to North Carolina has restored my faith in the words ''customer service" which I was previously beginning to think was a lost art. I could go on and on about how helpful the locals have been. It something I still marvel about. Southern hospitality is alive and well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point