U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM

254 posts, read 577,889 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with Earthlink around here for cable (not DSL) broadband? I'm sick of Time Warner's customer service, but I've heard horror stories about Earthlink's outsourced customer support.
I seem to have no other choice for internet at this time. I need faster speeds than DSL can provide, and mobile broadband from the phone companies over 3G is capped at around 5GB/month (I download at least 100 GB per month).
Clearwire & WiMax aren't available in Winston, and Verizon refuses to give an estimate for when we should have FiOS.

Anyone have input about Earthlink cable or suggestions other than those listed?

(By the way, I know plenty of folks will defend the speed of DSL, but I have recent experience with AT&T that left me wanting to rip my hair out because it was so slow. So unless you know of some super-fast DSL that leaves AT&T in the dust, then I'm not interested.)

Last edited by cohaagen; 09-14-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,212,155 times
If you really need speed/bandwidth, I believe Roadrunner the only cost-effective option here at this time. What is your beef with their customer service? I admit they're not always the best, but the service has been very reliable for me so I don't deal with them that often.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM

701 posts, read 1,115,057 times
I had Earthlink but far as I could tell it's the same as RR but was a few bucks cheaper. Anytime I had an issue I dealt with TWC reps.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM

My beef with TWC is not only customer support. It's compounded by the fact that I've needed to call support so often. My RR would go out completely at least every two months, and usually for hours or even 1-2 days. I would call for support, and then deal with support reps who knew even less about internet than I do. They would spend 30-60 minutes trying to verify that it was not something that I had done on my end that led to the outage, and then they'd tell me that the earliest they could send out a technician was 2-3 days later. Invariably, the service would come back before the technician was due to arrive, so I'd need to cancel the service request. In many cases, I would get sick of waiting on hold for phone support, especially knowing that they'd not likely be able to help anyway, and the internet would return within hours or days. In those cases, TWC would refuse to offer any credits to my account for the outages because they could not verify that the internet was truly unavailable.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,212,155 times
^ Yeah, that's not normal. You should probably go visit their office and jump up and down (figuratively, of course) until you talk to someone high enough to address it properly.

I have a good friend who works from home, so his job depends on a reliable internet connection. He was having a lot of outage problems, and it turns out there was some faulty equipment somewhere down the line. They ultimately fixed it so it's very reliable now, but it took quite a bit of back and forth. Same deal...every time he'd call he got a different person who went through the same diagnostic routine, even though my friend already knew that the problem wasn't on his end. He just had to keep climbing up the ladder until he got to someone who could do something about it. Unfortunately that looks like what you'll have to do as well.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 PM

I previously worked from home and even though I no longer do, I still stress to them that I need reliable internet for work. I think I've spoken to every echelon of support available by phone. If it ever comes to me taking time off and speaking in person to a manager at their office, I might just strangle someone.

They identified the likely problem with my service more than a year ago, but they haven't yet fixed it. There's some kind of damage to a conduit several blocks away that's causing interference and outages.

Is it too much to ask for a reliable, affordable internet connection with no speed or content cap?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM

273 posts, read 588,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
Is it too much to ask for a reliable, affordable internet connection with no speed or content cap?
Move to Davidson and get North State plex fiber optic.

But if you're really looking for fast download speeds, you're stuck with TWC. I've had my fair share of issues with them, however, it seems they've started to figure things out. I had a spout of bad tv/internet issues a few months back and was close to moving to DSL, but they sent someone out who traced it down to a bad terminal in the hub in the yard (thankfully it was in my yard not a block down the street). It was repaired that evening and I've enjoyed flawless service since with a range of dl speeds 6mb-16mbs. I hope that U-verse and/or Fios makes it way here soon though.

Also, clearwire is available here, but it's not the "4g", only a 2mb download speed.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM

Clearwire is not available in my area. Their current coverage ends about half a mile away from my house. I'm eagerly awaiting them rolling out WiMax in the coming years. Greensboro will have it soon.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Anyone locally have experience with the 12 mbps Greenstreak from Windstream? It's not available in my area yet, but maybe soon.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM

75 posts, read 259,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
Anyone locally have experience with the 12 mbps Greenstreak from Windstream? It's not available in my area yet, but maybe soon.
I realize this is a very old post, but we are trying to go to 12mbps with Windstream, but there is a "problem" in our area they admit to that prevents us from getting above 3mbps. Today it's been closer to 1mbps even though we pay for 3mbps. They said the problem is over a week old, but so far they cannot fix it. One night months ago we heard something strange in our driveway and 4 or 5 Windstream trucks were in front of our house. One of the many men in the yard explained that they had traced static to right in front of our house. I have no idea if they fixed it, but yesterday they were working much father down our road. If you do pay for 12mbps make sure you actually get close to that speed. We are finding it very hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point