Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,035 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of retiring to the greater greensboro-winston salem area around september of 2019 from texas and will be visiting the area in september this yr. If anyone could steer us to a nice rural area i would really appreciate that so we don't have to drive to all of the areas we see on trulia and zillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph0828 View Post
We are thinking of retiring to the greater greensboro-winston salem area around september of 2019 from texas and will be visiting the area in september this yr. If anyone could steer us to a nice rural area i would really appreciate that so we don't have to drive to all of the areas we see on trulia and zillow.
27405 only?

Some of it is rural, some isn't.

I think it's worth driving to the places that look possible for you. You need to see neighborhoods in person.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area

No Sue, we do not want right on the coast or way up near VA. because of the weather. We are are originally from Pittsburgh Pa and have been in TX for 12 years. We have a daughter in Pa with 3 and a daughter in VA with 3 so my wife wants closer but as little snow as possible. Just want a quiet little piece of the world to retire to.
Thanks
Tony

Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Sue, the reference to the zip code is from the OP who posted 11 years ago. The new poster murph0828 piggybacked onto an old thread but has different interests.

Murph, you might find it more productive to start your own thread (with as much detail as possible) so the responses will be more targeted to your needs than earlier posts in this thread. It would be helpful to know a general budget range, acreage or home in a neighborhood, and other likes/dislikes. To simply say "a nice rural area" is way too general to elicit meaningful responses.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Sue, the reference to the zip code is from the OP who posted 11 years ago. The new poster murph0828 piggybacked onto an old thread but has different interests.

Murph, you might find it more productive to start your own thread (with as much detail as possible) so the responses will be more targeted to your needs than earlier posts in this thread. It would be helpful to know a general budget range, acreage or home in a neighborhood, and other likes/dislikes. To simply say "a nice rural area" is way too general to elicit meaningful responses.
Hey road pony, I got that, which is why I asked the question. And I agree with your suggestions. Murph will have to drive around and look.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:12 PM

People seem to think their opinion doesn't matter. f you live in a certain area you know if it is safe or not. You also know if it is a retirement area or more of an area for younger couples with school age children or a mixed area. The reason I asked about a nice rural area is because I do not want high crime. I want a little property such as 1/4 acre and up. We have a classic car so a garage is a must, at least a one car. We are not rich and our budget would probably not climb above $130,000.00. As it will be just us two I do not think we need more than 1500 sq ft. A three bedroom 1 & 1/2 bath at 1200 would do fine.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Much of 27405 is in northeast Greensboro. There are pockets of bad areas but for the most part is safe. The area is lower income to middle class and many of the homes were built in the late 1960s and early 1970s. It's not the first area I'd look at but its not a bad area in general. There are limited amenities in terms of retail and entertainment.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph0828 View Post
People seem to think their opinion doesn't matter. f you live in a certain area you know if it is safe or not. You also know if it is a retirement area or more of an area for younger couples with school age children or a mixed area. The reason I asked about a nice rural area is because I do not want high crime. I want a little property such as 1/4 acre and up. We have a classic car so a garage is a must, at least a one car. We are not rich and our budget would probably not climb above $130,000.00. As it will be just us two I do not think we need more than 1500 sq ft. A three bedroom 1 & 1/2 bath at 1200 would do fine.
Your budget is too low for any desirable around around G'boro or W-S. Anything in a decent area in that price range that meets your criteria will be a fixer upper, or have some other major flaw. You might want to look further out in places like Mt. Airy, Mocksville, Lexington or Pleasant Garden.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Your budget is too low for any desirable around around G'boro or W-S. Anything in a decent area in that price range that meets your criteria will be a fixer upper, or have some other major flaw. You might want to look further out in places like Mt. Airy, Mocksville, Lexington or Pleasant Garden.
Murph mentioned wanting to be in more of a rural area. $130k is probably doable, though I would suspect that options would really open if there was some flexibility to get that up to $150K or so.

Just for grins, I did a little bit of searching... there really seems to be a large gap between what you can get in the $130s and what you can get in the $160s... especially in the rural areas. Obviously if financials don't allow it, then financials don't allow it, but if you can spend a little more you'll probably greatly expand your options. You certainly won't have to go anywhere near $200K or anything. And if some handy work isn't a problem, you could probably make something around $130-140K work.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Murph mentioned wanting to be in more of a rural area. $130k is probably doable, though I would suspect that options would really open if there was some flexibility to get that up to $150K or so.

Just for grins, I did a little bit of searching... there really seems to be a large gap between what you can get in the $130s and what you can get in the $160s... especially in the rural areas. Obviously if financials don't allow it, then financials don't allow it, but if you can spend a little more you'll probably greatly expand your options. You certainly won't have to go anywhere near $200K or anything. And if some handy work isn't a problem, you could probably make something around $130-140K work.
I did some searching too, and there's very little in Guilford and Forsyth Counties in his price range, in a decent location. Thats why I suggested looking around Mt. Airy, Mocksville, Lexington, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point