Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Jo, whatever your religion, it does not seem to be one that knows of the love of God for all. If you did know the Christian God, you would refrain from using epithets or slurs against anyone. I know many great Christians who witness God's love, and none of them uses words such as "q**er" or disrespect gay and lesbian people. My best friend is a fervent evangelical who has lots of gay friends and supports gay rights. Although there may be a generation gap at play here, your postings drip with animus toward gay and lesbian Americans, which really undermines any claim that you are a true Christian. Christians don't display antipathy toward people because of their sexual orientation or support of gay and lesbian equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM

138 posts, read 418,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Jo, whatever your religion, it does not seem to be one that knows of the love of God for all. If you did know the Christian God, you would refrain from using epithets or slurs against anyone. I know many great Christians who witness God's love, and none of them uses words such as "q**er" or disrespect gay and lesbian people. My best friend is a fervent evangelical who has lots of gay friends and supports gay rights. Although there may be a generation gap at play here, your postings drip with animus toward gay and lesbian Americans, which really undermines any claim that you are a true Christian. Christians don't display antipathy toward people because of their sexual orientation or support of gay and lesbian equality.
Tarheelhombre, very well said, thank you for putting into words what so many of us felt but were unable to say so graciously.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo282271 View Post
Leviticus 20:13

13If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Do you follow EVERY law of Leviticus, such as these?

20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

Cursing your parents, just once, should result in the death Penalty?

19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

Apparently planting butterbeans and sweet potatoes in the same garden is a SIN! As is wearing two kinds of cloth at the same time! Do you follow this verse of Leviticus? It is no less "sacred" than what you quoted, after all!

19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

SHAVING IS A SIN!!! Do you follow this verse to the letter, jo282271?

This is just a tiny part of the Bible that is ignored, even by so-called "Biblically-living people". Do you consider EVERY verse of the Bible, or just the ones you pick and choose?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM

82 posts, read 295,019 times
Um, the new testament law replaced the old testament law according to the Bible so Leviticus isn't an issue in your example. Homosexuality is explictely mentioned in the Corinthians as an abomination as well.

1st Corinthians 6:9

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^ So, male prostitutes will not inherit the kingdom of God, but female prostitutes will? I need to know these things so I can figure out which kind of people I should hang with, you know.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ So, male prostitutes will not inherit the kingdom of God, but female prostitutes will? I need to know these things so I can figure out which kind of people I should hang with, you know.
Pretty sure they would fall under sexually immoral so your probably gonna have to change professions!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

254 posts, read 924,918 times
I'm pretty sure that if female prostitutes fall under the "sexually immoral" category, then so would male prostitutes, which would mean that there would have been no distinction. By specifying males without specifying females separately, whoever did that translation was clearly stating that female prostitutes have a place in heaven.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cec311 View Post
Um, the new testament law replaced the old testament law according to the Bible
Only for those who believe the New Testament. Ask Jews or any other non-Christians how much credence they place in the NT?

1st Corinthians 6:9
9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders[/quote]

This sis a modern translation; the word "homosexual" was not even coioned until the late 18th Century so how could it have been used in the NT? Of course, the whole NT is translated from Greek--a society that actually nurtured certain "relations" between men and boys as a part of "transition to manhood". They probably had many words to describe various same-sex acts, none of which would translate directly as "homosexual". The fact that some translations do and some translations do not mention different specific words (in a language that was not spken until over 1000 years after the Bible was written) shows that there is disagreement over what Paul was even saying...and who is Paul to tell us how to live 2000 years, even if we could ascertain his exact meaning?

Since you're playing the New Testament game, JESUS never once mentions homosexuality (or whatever mistranslation of it) at all. Don't you think his words (or lack thereof) should have just a little teeny bit more weight to Christians than Paul's? And don't you think that it would have come up at least once in Jesus's teachings if he believed homosexuality to be such an unforgiveable sin? It's not even in the 10 Commandments (Old T, I know, but still--homophobic people act as if the One And Only thing taught in the Bible is to hate gays, when in fact you have to dig pretty hard to find any references to it at all.). Lying and even "coveting thy neighbor's things" get higher billing and made the Big Ten...or are you going to tell me the 10 Commandments don't count anymore because they are "replaced by the NT"?

If one is not a Christian, the New Testament has zero "domain" over them, any more than the Koran has domain over non-Muslims.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM

If one is not a Christian, the New Testament has zero "domain" over them, any more than the Koran has domain over non-Muslims.

Only part of your statement I agree with!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cec311 View Post

Only part of your statement I agree with!
You don't agree that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality? OK then, please quote the verse where he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point