Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 03:47 PM

169 posts, read 1,489,359 times

Advertisements

we want to visit furniture land south next week. we live in raleigh and have been told by many people that one day is not enough to see everything they have. i am planning to stay over night in a motel so that i have enough time to look and take decision. since we are spending 2 days, i would like to know is there any other furniture store worth visiting in that area? how about hickory furniture mart? is it worth going?

i am new to north carolina so i have no idea about these furniture store. we want to buy casual / contemporary furniture ( not looking for those 10K+ price tags) for our entire home. any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 AM

16 posts, read 56,353 times
rooms to go is affordable.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 56,353 times
Mind you I didnt say rooms to go is good quality furniture but I said it was affordable. If you're willing to spend your money on furnitureland south then why not be cost efficient?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Agree with the above posts. I wouldn't buy from FLS. But it is a good place to visit because you can see a number of manufacturers represented under one roof. Great place to shop, compare notes, and decide on what you like, but go somewhere else to buy.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,056 times
roadpony- My husband and I are planning a move to the WS-GSO area. We just came back from visiting friends who recently moved to Greenville, SC. They live in Simpsonville. Are there any areas in WS-GSO that are similar in feel/ vibe? We LOVED Greenville! Unfortunately, there are no opportunities for my husband to transfer jobs there... and we really haven't found anything negative about WS-GSO. Any help would be appreciated. We're a couple in our early 30s with a 2 year old daughter.
THANKS!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM

109 posts, read 389,184 times
You probably need too visit Winston-Salem and Greensboro to get a feel for the areas. I have lived in both cities and they are very similiar and offer the same things. I don't think you can wrong with either. Check out downtown Winston-Salem or Greensboro on the weekends and see what kind of vibe you feel. Personally I like the vibe and look of Winston, but Greensboro is very nice too. I think Greenville, SC is further along in their downtown revitilization than Winston or Greensboro.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 PM

53 posts, read 272,509 times
Blacks is a good place to go. It is not too far from FLS & they have good deals. I bought my living room & patio set from FLS; I had a good experience (I don't think you need more than a day though to see everything). They have good warranties on purchases. If you tell them you are just looking, they are not any pushier than any other salesperson, so I haven't had a negative experience that others have said.
I bought my dining room set from Blacks and have liked that the most, but probably because was a great deal. I found a table on cleareance that I loved, but that color was only available in a 6 person table & I wanted a leaf to make it an 8 person. I bought a curio cabinet and left. The saleslady who was helping me knew that I really liked the lines of the table I was looking at, so she found an 8 person table from the company in a different color & she managed to get me armchairs by calling the manufactor a few times. In the end, I wound up with a complete set of chairs, a table, console, and hutch/cabinet for less than $3,000- it was orginally well over $10,000. It's Broyhill & tongue & groove at the seams. It was my best furniture shopping experience. I also got a bedroom set over at Kagan's (sp?). I've liked that purchase also.

Gordon's is a discount furniture place in Thomasville. There is a mixture of quality. I got some accent tables there that were a good price & a very nice L-shaped desk (a little bit damaged, but not noticeable & it was a great deal, plus I don't feel bad about if I add a little wear & tear to it myself from using it daily.) It is a mom & pop shop, so they are very friendly & take monthly payments unlike the large shops where it is cash only in full by delivery.

Overall, shopping in NC has been a good experience. All of the furniture here is a lot cheaper than other states, so ignore the comment about the furniture being marked up 3 x's as high. Relatives from other states are always shocked by what we can get things here for. Example: a desk my mom wanted was $22,000 up north, but at FLS it was $12,500. Yes, it still is expensive (I won't buy a desk for that much), but compared to elsewhere, it was a bargain for that particular item.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM

254 posts, read 925,175 times
Blacks? Didn't they close about 2 years ago? Or did they just move from the location on 68?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:49 PM

109 posts, read 389,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
Blacks? Didn't they close about 2 years ago? Or did they just move from the location on 68?
Closed

Old 11-15-2009, 06:08 PM

53 posts, read 272,509 times
I got there just in time then. I bought my furniture there in July 2 years ago & I looked it up online & saw they closed in August that year.

It's too bad; I liked shopping there. Good thing I don't need anymore furniture.

Rock's a discount place off of I-85 a little south of Lexington had good deals & they are closed now too; I saw the building being knocked down Friday.

Everything is closing these days. I wonder when it will end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point