U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,209,759 times

Advertisements

In the Winston-Salem area, I'd say the best Mexican food is at Las Estrellas, Cozumel, Pancho Villa, and La Botana. Mi Pueblo is very good too (especially their open-fire grilled items), but overall I'd place them just a half-notch below the others mentioned. But I do like the atmosphere better at Mi Pueblo, at least the one on Stratford Rd., so I eat there often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM

100 posts, read 273,228 times
here is the blog i found on TIjuana fats in NC:
Tony Wilkins busy being born Blog Archive Remembering Tijuana Fats

The recipe I got fo the salad dressing, I just posted there. Someone posted one that is not the one my friend the manager gave me so here is mine..
3 cups oil, (he says olive)
2 cups of white vinegar
2 cups of green olives
5 whole green chiles
5 tsp chile juice
5 level tsp of garlic ( I think it was powder)
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 level tsp oregano
blend in a blender.

The arroz con pollo is also on that blog and is pretty much correct as posted by "Sarah"

Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,419,817 times
One of the best Mexican restaurants I have ever found, better than most I've eaten in, in Mexico City or Veracruz, is La Cocina in Mebane. If you get there early enough, you may be the only gringo in the house. the Carnitas are wonderful, my normal order is their Burrito Mexicano filled with carnitas - it's not on the menu but they will make it if you order it. (at one time they had two different menus, one in english one in spanish, I speak and read Spanish, ergo found out about the carnitas)

Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,904 times
Default Arroz con Pollo

I worked at the Fats in Greensboro as a cook, then later a bartender. Sorry, I can't give you the exact recipe....anyway, it made enough for a restaurant...but here is what I remember.

The rice was cooked with garlic, salt, and turmeric...that's where the yellow came from...then mixed with Veg-All.

The white sauce was cream cheese thinned with water and heated.

The chicken was breasts cooked in water with spices...I don't remember what exactly, but I'd go with salt, pepper, garlic, chicken base...maybe some cumin.

Last edited by Les Paul; 01-02-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 AM

479 posts, read 396,721 times
Wow! Fats was a really enjoyable place in both Greensboro and Blowing Rock. Seems the local choices have grown exponentially since then.

Does anyone know of a more authentic type of Mexican Steak House vs. Tex-Mex? i.e. something like one might find in Reynosa? Like a resturant associated with a specific ranch. Seems that type of format usually has specialties along with other elements like you'd find in Argentina, or other South American nations.

i.e. a spongy type of cake, with an interesting variety of creams and milk. Or a soft goat cheese as an appetizer, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
omg tijuana fats the best mex.food in the world ever would love to have recpies for anything on the menu so loved the fav.in the meat sauce please reply would be so thinkful

Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Re: Laredos Neon Cactus. I think we had similar or same recipe for Arroz Con Pollo. Do you still want it. victoria (past
owner Laredos)

Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,904 times
I have most of the recipes from Tijuana Fats... the problem is finding them after all this time.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM

49 posts, read 27,655 times
Wow! how could I have forgotten about Fats!
I miss that place and Laredos too!

I would love to have laredo's salsa and chip recipe as well as Fats salsa recipe.

If I remember correctly, either or both Fats and Laredo's did the chips with flour tortillas.
I know for sure laredos has some sort of seasoning on them.

Both had salsas that were not hot, but addictingly delicious!
I really miss the chimichangas from Fats the most though.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 250 times
Les Paul...How about the famous Margarita
Recipe? Here, some 35 years later, nothing
I've found can compare! My friends and I would
always order a pitcher.
Anyone have any updates on bringing Tijuana Fats back?
A mention online from January this year got
my hopes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point