U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 44,912 times

Advertisements

I have an option to take internal job transfer from California to Greensboro office. My trailing spouse hopes to find a job in IT (SAP area). From job boards, most of the IT-SAP jobs seem to be in either RTP or Charlotte areas, we are thinking of moving to a city mid-way to both our workplaces. For example, stay in ChapelHill/Mebane so I can commute to Greensboro, and spouse to Raleigh. Alternately move to someplace like Salisbury so I can commute to Greensboro, and spouse to Charlotte. We could spend around 500K on housing.

so my questions are:

1. which area (Raliegh, Charlotte, or even Greensboro/Winston Salem) is likely to have more IT-SAP jobs?
2. if there is a choice, which of the commutes (Chapel Hill to Greensboro/Raleigh vs. Salisbury to Charlotte is easier/faster?
3. Which area, Chapel hill or Salisbury area is safer, with top schools (OK to spend for Private school if that is the only option)
4. Roughly what are commute times for the above city pairs?

thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
I'd vote for Chapel Hill. It has the best schools in the state and its culture will be more like CA than it would be in Salsibury.
Where in California do you live now?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd vote for Chapel Hill. It has the best schools in the state and its culture will be more like CA than it would be in Salsibury.
Where in California do you live now?
thanks, Bay Area (Fremont)

Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 PM

61 posts, read 149,442 times
It would help if you would say where the Greensboro location is. That detail in itself could add 15-20 minutes to your commute.

Chapel Hill schools are good, but I hear CH taxes are pretty high.

Without knowing where exactly your job in Greensboro is, I would say Mebane would be better, if you're significant other is leaning towards finding a job in RTP.

I suppose the optimal solution would be for both of you to work in Greensboro / the Triad. Indeed.com lists 49 open jobs in Greensboro for SAP. More if you include other Triad cities.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 19,393 times
Recent Bay area transplant myself, I definitely agree that CH culture is going to be closer to home for you. I like Salisbury, but have only visited a couple of times. We moved to the Mocksville area, about an hour from Greensboro, an hour to Charlotte (in ideal traffic conditions). The hubby and I were looking for small, southern town charm with reasonable convenience to several metro areas and Mocksville fit the bill. Good luck on your move.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 22,795 times
Default Mebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwdata View Post
I have an option to take internal job transfer from California to Greensboro office. My trailing spouse hopes to find a job in IT (SAP area). From job boards, most of the IT-SAP jobs seem to be in either RTP or Charlotte areas, we are thinking of moving to a city mid-way to both our workplaces. For example, stay in ChapelHill/Mebane so I can commute to Greensboro, and spouse to Raleigh. Alternately move to someplace like Salisbury so I can commute to Greensboro, and spouse to Charlotte. We could spend around 500K on housing.

so my questions are:

1. which area (Raliegh, Charlotte, or even Greensboro/Winston Salem) is likely to have more IT-SAP jobs?
2. if there is a choice, which of the commutes (Chapel Hill to Greensboro/Raleigh vs. Salisbury to Charlotte is easier/faster?
3. Which area, Chapel hill or Salisbury area is safer, with top schools (OK to spend for Private school if that is the only option)
4. Roughly what are commute times for the above city pairs?

thanks in advance for any responses.
Mebane is known as Tweenerville, because we have multiple families that have a spouse that commutes to RTP and the other to Greensboro.

Check out the City of Mebane website for more information about the community.

I have a child in elementary, one in middle school and one in the local high school and it has been a fantastic experience for them. It is very small, so we know most of their friends and the recreational sports program here is wonderful.

The average home sale is around 150k, so 500k will buy you a very nice home here, that is for sure.

Elon is also a nice area and will only be around a 50 minute drive to RTP.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all replies.
We are leanig more towards taking the internal transfer offer and move around Jan. Planning a visit around Thanksgiving, so will defanitely check out all the areas mentioned above like CH, Mebane, Salisbury and others.

Thanks again,

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwdata View Post
Thanks for all replies.
We are leanig more towards taking the internal transfer offer and move around Jan. Planning a visit around Thanksgiving, so will defanitely check out all the areas mentioned above like CH, Mebane, Salisbury and others.

Thanks again,

I would check out Hillsborough too. For a neighborhood with a pool, Churton Grove is really nice. Or if you like historic homes they have a really nice downtown where you can walk to great shops, restaurants, Weaver Street Market, and Eno River. Chapel Hill is nice and you can't beat the schools. Mebane is also a nice small town, the most affordable, and best commute between RTP and Greensboro. Good Luck, you have great options!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,159 times
Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I would check out Hillsborough too. For a neighborhood with a pool, Churton Grove is really nice. Or if you like historic homes they have a really nice downtown where you can walk to great shops, restaurants, Weaver Street Market, and Eno River. Chapel Hill is nice and you can't beat the schools. Mebane is also a nice small town, the most affordable, and best commute between RTP and Greensboro. Good Luck, you have great options!
I am an SAP IT consultant as well and it really depends on the type of SAP job. If you are consulting and are used to a 3-4-5 schedule that involves nation wide travel would recommend picking a city that is closer to an airport....i.e Raleigh or Greensboro. Surrounding communities within these cities would work but you would not want something 20 mins away from the airport.

If you are looking for permanent positions, then it would really depend on the company you are working for. It will be hard if any to find SAP jobs in locations next to each other that are permanent in nature and almost next to impossible to find consulting opportunities next to each other.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Default IT jobs - SAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjoseph View Post
I am an SAP IT consultant as well and it really depends on the type of SAP job. If you are consulting and are used to a 3-4-5 schedule that involves nation wide travel would recommend picking a city that is closer to an airport....i.e Raleigh or Greensboro. Surrounding communities within these cities would work but you would not want something 20 mins away from the airport.

If you are looking for permanent positions, then it would really depend on the company you are working for. It will be hard if any to find SAP jobs in locations next to each other that are permanent in nature and almost next to impossible to find consulting opportunities next to each other.
erjoseph, thanks for your note.

I work in the Bio/medical research field, and will have a job in North Greensboro starting Jan/Feb (intra-company transfer)

So we hope to find one permanent position in IT-SAP either in Greensboro, Raleigh, or Charlotte for my spouse (consulting job as last resort)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point