U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,966,905 times

Advertisements

North Main, High Point Walmart store has been caught overcharging customers. Ever look at those stickers w/ the UPC code and price that are attached to the shelves? Those are just 'MAYBE' prices. The real price is in the computer system and that only is disclosed IF and WHEN you purchase an item.

Went to Walmart 3 weeks ago to do weekly shopping and noticed cat food, and Halloween candy were a different price on the screen than the sticker on the shelf (UPC code identical). The cashier had no problem simply doing an override, no hassel.

2 weeks ago, a few canned goods came up more at the register and again, the cashier just did an override. I stalled after putting my groceries in the cart and turned to the person behind me and asked if she would pay close attention when her items were rung up...to see if anything would be overcharged- sure enough! She didn't have as big of an order as I did but she, too was being overcharged.

Today I went and this time took a pen to mark the prices beside my list and sure enough...overcharged on 4 different items. The lady wouldn't override my salsa so after I checked out- I headed to the refund desk where they got a manager....sure enough after 20 minutes wait....the salsa was refunded $3.00 and re-rang at 2.88.

You may think that a few cents isn't much...but it adds up!

Walmart is potentially bilking customers out of thousands of dollars a week and this ADDS to their bottom line.

Walmart will not change their policy.... the shelf price is a MAYBE and they only give you that price if you ask the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
On the contrary, the advertised price is the price you pay no matter what price is displayed when the cashier scans it. Its the law.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 PM

676 posts, read 2,805,416 times
The weird thing for me at the Walmart I go to in W-S is the prices often scan lower, especially for Clearance items. I bought a handful kid's toys expecting to pay the markdown sticker price, but I ended up paying way less. You also need to watch produce at any store you go to. I was once charged $5 for 2 bananas because the person typed an insane number for the weight. I was only buying two things so I walked out without noticing, but by the time I got to my car I realized it. Luckily they just gave my bananas and told me to enjoy them since they were made of gold! I have learned you have to be really careful with expiration dates too. Last week Walmart had salad dressing in the cold cooler that had expired in June. Lots of human error at stores....

Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,202,766 times
I agree on the prices. I got caught last week with paying more for two items, but didn't notice until I got home. They have Hanes sweatpants and sweatshirts for $5.00 each. I got two shirts and two pants. Different colors was the only difference. I checked when I got home and I was charged $6.00 for one of the shirts. Double checked everything and can't figure out what the difference is. Same thing with a toy I bought. Was on the shelf for $5.00 but I was charged 8.00. Wasn't worth the price of gas for me to go back and stand in line and deal with the hassle. Not that 4.00 isn't important but I had gone after work and wasn't in the mood to spend an hour fighting with them.

I really don't like that they don't put the price on the items. So you really have to check the sku# numbers on the products and shelves. And remember everything.

And this isn't the first time I have heard of this at Wal Mart. We just have to be aware of what we are buying and the price.

And I so agree on the expiration dates. I find expired items in so many stores. It' becoming very common to see this.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,514,087 times
I was at a Walmart Superstore just last night. They had yogurt on the shelves that expired 4 days prior!!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,956,734 times
Most states have a law that forces stores that "over charge" to refund up to 10X the over charge or a dollar limit--whatever is less...

Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 PM

114 posts, read 218,058 times
send a letter to consumer affairs

Old 11-01-2009, 01:32 PM

273 posts, read 851,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFinkle View Post
send a letter to consumer affairs
Or State Attorney General's office as well as managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point