U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM

40 posts, read 97,614 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Winston within the year and our son is very active in his school band and mother is band teacher.
Which high schools in Winston have strong band programs? Are any schools really bad in music/band?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
I can only speak for West Forsyth in Clemmons, where my daughter was in the orchestra and my son is currently in the wind ensemble. I think the music programs there are very good, and I'm a musician myself so I know crappy bands when I hear them.

The wind ensemble (the highest level band) is playing almost exclusively grade 6 music, which is typically college-level difficulty. And they play it very well! The jazz band is also very good. I recently attended their concert, and they played a wide variety of jazz tunes, like Miles Davis's So What, Chuck Mangione's Children of Sanchez, and Herbie Hancock's Chameleon. I think the director is doing a great job of exposing the kids to many different styles in all the bands. There are, I believe, 6 different bands at West. There's also a strong parent support group to help out.

Sorry, but I really don't know much about the other high schools, although I can say that I've never heard about any schools with "bad" music programs around here. Good luck in your search!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for the information! We have seen houses online in Clemmons and may focus our attention to that area.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
You're welcome! I should also mention, in case you aren't aware of it, that the NC School of the Arts is in Winston-Salem. It's a high school and college for performing and visual arts. I believe 8th grade is the youngest level they accept. In-state students who are accepted there get a free ride--tuition, room and board, etc. Quite a deal if you're good enough to get in! And even if you can't get in, local kids can take advantage of the many free (or really cheap) concerts, lessons given by students and professors, and special summer programs. The arts are alive and well in Winston-Salem!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Again thanks

I will visit their web site. Our son is serious about music and this is very good news. Confirms our idea that Winston is a good city for us.
Currently we live in Hamden CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point