Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 AM

72 posts, read 313,807 times

Advertisements

Winston-Salem ratty??? I would not live in any other area in the state, one of the richest parts of the state, tops in education in the state, best health care in the state, in the top 10 of America's most livable mid-sized cities in the country, and yes there is real NY style PIZZA in this area. I'm from NYC/N Jersey and have family who own pizza shops all over those 2 states so I'm pretty sure I know Pizza, we may only have 2 real NYC pizza shops here out of 30 but we do have the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:23 AM

32 posts, read 246,619 times
Smile I'd love to be proved wrong on the pizza bit. . .

Well, I am more than willing to take your word for it. Point me to some good pizza

Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM

38 posts, read 130,125 times
I am still looking for gangbangers IN Guilford County.... No luck yet.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM

72 posts, read 313,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralston View Post
Well, I am more than willing to take your word for it. Point me to some good pizza
Marios Pizza on Hanes Mall Blvd in Winston-Salem in the Target shopping center... I think they have a website since they started to open all over western NC. It is the best I've had done here by far, pretty much like the same pizza you can get on the boardwalk down on the Jersey shore slightly off the NYC style but best around here by far.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Thanks. I have got to try it. Good pizza may make me a happier camper. Now if you can just find me an Italian bakery. . .

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Greensboro is dull. It is green and rather pretty in many areas, but it is dull. It reminds me of a slightly quieted West Los Angeles, albeit with greenery. There are also too many gangbangers floating around, which makes it all too weird. Hear that Charlotte is no better in that respect.

I also find the people here rather cool and stifled, even compared to other parts of NC. Personally, I much prefer Raleigh in terms of big cities. High Point and Winston-Salem are too ratty. As for smaller places, I like Mount Airy (though not much to do out there), Wilmington, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, and even Greenville. At least they make you feel as if you're in North Carolina rather than some transplanted and poorly executed Los Angeles.

I guess it all depends on what you want and what you're coming from.

Of course, some people do like it, though it seems the people who like it here like it because it can be a comfortable place to buy a house and exist with a nice green lawn. I like that too, of course, but it is the first place I've ever been where I just felt it was too dull. Oh, and as for the ultimate downside Thai food is all too expensive here, and there is absolutely no good pizza. Even Wilmington has decent pizza. Folks here call Elizabeth's pizza good, but Elizabeth's wouldn't last a day back in Jersey. Then, if you're a barbecue lover, about the only shop in town, Stamey's, is just. . . well, not worth talking about.

I completely disagree with this cat. Greensboro is not a dull town and gangbangers are not a problem. Also, there is good pizza too, you just have to find it. NY pizza on Tate street is pretty good, also L'italiano on Elm street downtown (or L'italiano on Eastchester in Highpoint) are excellent. I won't even comment on camparing LA to Greensboro, that's just comical. I"m not sure which Greensboro you live in, is it in NC?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 PM

I can understand people disagreeing with my opinions on the relative dullness of Greensboro, as that is completely subjective. However, what I cannot understand is this denial of the existance of gangs. Of course, they're out there. Most shootings in this town are gang related, are they not?

And, by the way, what is so comical about comparing LA to Greensboro? Just curious.....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
And, by the way, what is so comical about comparing LA to Greensboro? Just curious.....

It comical because you are comparing a city on the west coast of about 4 million people to a southern city of about 225 thousand people. There oviously going to be cultural differences in all aspects.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:14 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I agree with Ralston about there being gangs in Greensboro. I heard a few months ago that, for some reason, they like to hang out at Four Seasons Mall. Some local radio personalities were making jokes about it. "Stay away from Hollastah!" "Puppies to Guppies is ours, dog." lol

I think the shootings at the mall last year (in Nov. & Dec.) were gang related. The mall has since increased the number of police inside the mall. It's not bad there during the day, but I try to stay away from the mall at night and on the weekends if I can.

The gang members here may not be exactly what you find in L.A., but they do exist.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
I didn't say gangs don't exist, they exist pretty much everywhere, what I'm saying is simply that you don't see them everywhere you go as you implied. As for comparing LA to Greensboro, LA is the second largest city in the US with a huge latino population, some may even call it a bilingual city, it's on the west coast etc..... Greensboro is a small, conservative southern town with a population of 225 thousand or so, I just do not see the similarities, that's what's comical.

Now I remember why I used to get annoyed with Greensboro like most other locals did. NJ/NY folks moving down complaining about the pizza, the people, this, that and the other but yet it had to be nicer than NY/NJ because they never left. I'm from DC area, lived in Greensboro for 12 years, have lived almost everywhere including LA and now live in Indy and the bottom line is that Greensboro is not perfect but it's a great city to live in. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could. Just remember, the grass is always greener on the other side, enjoy Greenboro, it's a nice city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point