Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 AM

32 posts, read 56,005 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what people think about retiring in WS. I am looking for the following for my wife and myself:

House: 3br, 2 1/2 bath in the 175-200K range (with basement)

Shopping: What type and how many malls are there in a 20 miles radius of WS?

Golf: Are there many golf courses within 20 miles (especially nice ones that hire full and part time people who are allow to play at the course during their days off)?

Weather: What is the weather like, are there four seasons?

Taxes: Is your federal government pension taxed?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 103,146 times
I think the WS area is a nice place to live.

The house and price you mention for WS is very "doable". Davidson county may be better - close to WS - lower property taxes.

There is a large mall in WS and one in High Point which is probably around 20 miles from WS.

There are four seasons. But not much snow usually. Fairly hot and humid in the summer. Fall is beautiful. Spring is a mixed bag never know what you are going to get.

Don't know about the pension tax.

There are several golf courses in the area don't know about the hiring and playing.

Here are some links to a couple of golf places I could think of.

Forsyth County > Tanglewood Park > Golf > Tanglewood Courses
Lexington Golf Club - Lexington, North Carolina
City of Winston-Salem, NC :: Golf

Good Luck with the move!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM

72 posts, read 313,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyyank View Post
I would like to know what people think about retiring in WS. I am looking for the following for my wife and myself:

House: 3br, 2 1/2 bath in the 175-200K range (with basement)

Shopping: What type and how many malls are there in a 20 miles radius of WS?

Golf: Are there many golf courses within 20 miles (especially nice ones that hire full and part time people who are allow to play at the course during their days off)?

Weather: What is the weather like, are there four seasons?

Taxes: Is your federal government pension taxed?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Winston-Salem and surrounding areas have everything you are looking for here in terms of the housing, pricing, golf, huge shopping area, and mainly four seasons.

I had to ask my relocation guy about the taxes, he did not know off hand but sent me a link.

WSBI : About Winston-Salem : Taxes and Utilities (http://www.winstonsalembusinessinc.com/aboutws/taxesutilities.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point