Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 41,454 times

Advertisements

I am also looking at moving to the greensboro area. I would prefer to live outside the city within 20 miles. Can I buy a decent house for $175,000. It's just me and my wife now, but I would still want a 3 bedroom with about 1500 sq feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 41,454 times
Default Greensboro what's it like?

I'm looking to move from Charlotte to something a little bit smaller. Greensboro, although large (1/2 the size of Charlotte) looks like it has potential. Can anyone tell me about the commute, housing prices, job market, etc. I already know crime is bad there, but probably just like in Charlotte, there are areas that are good to live in an areas to avoid. Ideally I would be able to commute less than 30 minutes or so, live in a safe neighborhood in a house with a 1/4 acre lot. Hopefully the house would cost less than $200k. Thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM

842 posts, read 2,586,900 times
I am interested in relocating to that area of NC, are you saying that there is a lot of crime in Greensboro, NC? Please elaborate. Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,567 times
I'm not sure it is so much an issue of a lot of crime, just a messed up police department! There is plenty of crime, but the bigger problem has been with manpower in the PD. You can always check archives of the local newspaper at news-record.com.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,970 times
Hey. I just noticed your posting was from Gastonia. That is where I moved to Greensboro from!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Since it is just you and your wife (no kids), you may get more for your money if you go to Randolph County. Randleman is about 30 minutes to downtown Greensboro; an easy drive (about 18-20 miles). Level Cross is just a bit north of Randleman and pretty close to the county line.

Last I checked, real estate prices are a bit less, and the tax is a bit lower. Randleman is a small town; Level Cross is actually just a fire district and shares the Randleman postal address.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:48 PM

32 posts, read 246,613 times
Thumbs down Zzzzzz

Greensboro is dull. It is green and rather pretty in many areas, but it is dull. It reminds me of a slightly quieted West Los Angeles, albeit with greenery. There are also too many gangbangers floating around, which makes it all too weird. Hear that Charlotte is no better in that respect.

I also find the people here rather cool and stifled, even compared to other parts of NC. Personally, I much prefer Raleigh in terms of big cities. High Point and Winston-Salem are too ratty. As for smaller places, I like Mount Airy (though not much to do out there), Wilmington, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, and even Greenville. At least they make you feel as if you're in North Carolina rather than some transplanted and poorly executed Los Angeles.

I guess it all depends on what you want and what you're coming from.

Of course, some people do like it, though it seems the people who like it here like it because it can be a comfortable place to buy a house and exist with a nice green lawn. I like that too, of course, but it is the first place I've ever been where I just felt it was too dull. Oh, and as for the ultimate downside Thai food is all too expensive here, and there is absolutely no good pizza. Even Wilmington has decent pizza. Folks here call Elizabeth's pizza good, but Elizabeth's wouldn't last a day back in Jersey. Then, if you're a barbecue lover, about the only shop in town, Stamey's, is just. . . well, not worth talking about.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM

38 posts, read 130,115 times
Default Where are the gangs?

Hmmmm In 24 years I have never seen a gang banger in Greensboro.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Tchick,

Not sure where the gangs are, but a few years ago our local middle school had a presentation for parents about gang problems in schools. We are actually in Randolph County, but the presentation was conducted by the Guilford County sheriff's department. I guess they knew what they were talking about.

I know we have problems with groups of "wanna-be's", which can actually be more trouble that "real" gang members. At least most gangs just have problems with rival gangs... wanna-be's bother everyone to get attention.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,016 times
I would agree about there not being any good pizza until just a few months ago. Briixx pizza on Westover Terrace is pretty good. Not the best I've ever had, but the best I've ever had in Greensboro. This includes Pizza Hutt, Papa John's, Dominos (which I hate), Elizabeth's, Pizza Inn and probably a couple others.

As for Greensboro being dull. I reckon that just depends on your definition of dull. My family and I have lived here for the better part of 16 years and have no desire to live anywhere else. Though we have the ability to leave just about anytime we want. Greensboro is home. It's pretty and it's not hard to find a place of peace here. There are hectic areas (Wendover, High Point Rd., Battleground), but they don't define Greensboro for me or anyone who really knows this city.

Anyway, I strayed a bit. Sorry. lol Where was I? Oh, yes. Dull. I don't need a lot of excitement in my life. I suppose for those who do, Greensboro would seem dull. Even with the night clubs, comedy clubs, restaurants, downtown revitalization, shopping, concerts, plays and other things. But for people like me who want a safe place to live (though no place is 100% safe), a decent place to raise their kids, good schools, a place that's not too far from the mountains or the beach, and a city with four seasons (and not a horrible winter), Greensboro's pretty good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point