U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 PM

53 posts, read 250,298 times

Advertisements

A Davidson County couple are getting an Extreme Home Makeover this week. Spectators are being asked to park at the Old Walmart Plaza (on NC 8- Cotton Grove Rd.- the plaza with Cracker Barrel). They will shuttle you to the house site & you can watch it be built. They want people to donate a can of food for the food bank. They will finish on Tuesday. They are doing other activities also to help with Relay for Life.

Here's a link to the newspaper articles about it. You can read about the family, get the address, and see what the plans are. The show will air in 2 months.

I think this is really a neat experience; it is happening a couple miles from my house. It's amazing to think how many of our neighbors around us need our support that you don't always know about. I help at my church, but it reminds me that I should try to find more ways to help those around me.

Special 'Relay for Life' walk and food drive held in honor of 'Extreme Makeover' family | The Dispatch | Davidson County's News Source | Lexington, NC
Schedule• Thursday – Day 2
Demolition begins between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• Friday – Day 3 - 1st day for spectators
Framing begins after foundation sets, carpenters go to work setting up walls and floors.
• Saturday – Day 4
Construction continues inside and outside. Landscaping under way. Painting begins.
• Sunday – Day 5
Paint, paint and more paint. Here comes the kitchen!
• Monday – Day 6
Interior finishes are done. Landscape being finished. Turn the keys over to the design team to furnish and decorate.
• Tuesday – Day 7
Finishing details and family arrives home tentatively at 2 p.m. MOVE THAT BUS!
For more information go to
HedrickExtreme.com Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Coming to Triad, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 AM

101 posts, read 313,717 times
I live a couple of miles from their house, but I wouldn't want to drive all the way into Lexington to get on a shuttle and get bussed back there to be a spectator. Too bad they arrived for the makeover at the same time as tropical storm Ida. Hopefully today (Friday) will be a sunny, rainless day!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,956,996 times
Davidson county gets more tax money, but I hope the homeowners can afford to pay it every year now.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times
i help out for those in need when i have no money, i watch the show all the time. i hope one day i can get a home makeover!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM

164 posts, read 312,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnherrick View Post
i help out for those in need when i have no money, i watch the show all the time. i hope one day i can get a home makeover!

Sadly, those in need DON'T need a huge McMansion with high taxes.

I just don't get that show

Where do the needy get money to support these homes once they are built? The people in the Davidson County episode didn't have any money to make even the smallest repairs to their home. They could not afford a door for their bathroom How will they keep up with the new home?

May God bless them, but I don't think a huge house with higher expenses is the answer.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM

The mortgage being paid off would offset the additional costs they would incur on a larger home. I live a few miles from them in a 3,900 sq. ft. home on 2 acres & my property taxes are less than $3,000 a year. Their home is on less land and is the same size as mine or smaller. I think they could afford $250 or less a month (they already had to pay taxes before- I don't think it would be as huge of an increase as people are worried about). I could see property taxes being an issue in New York or somewhere with high taxes, but considering how low taxes are here; I don't see how it would be such a burden. What they were spending monthly on their mortgage may now go into higher utility bills & increased taxes. The benefit is now the srtess relief of having a safe and comfortable home, and if she passes on the knowledge that her kids have a nice place to grow up.
CVS also gave them $100,000 for medical expenses, so now their medical bills are taken care of for awhile, so they may save up money and meet all of their obligations. They both are state employees, so they do have decent salaries that would enable them to pay the utilities, maintanice, and taxes for the house. It was the medical bills that prevented them from having money to fix up the house they purchased with the intent to repair it. The unexpected cancer is really what through a wrench into things for them. I believe that they will do just fine.
Only 3 out of the hundreds of families that have been helped have had problems after the show. 1 got a line of credit on the house to have money to start a construction business, which defalted (not the show's fault; theirs for risking their home for a business venture); 1 decided to sell because they wanted to move (they did not cite taxes or maintance being a factor); the third family is complicated- nothing to do with cost of new home though (a family took in a group of orphan teens and got a larger home- then kicked out the 5 kids who want the house or a portion of the sale because they were the reason the couple qualified, but they aren't on the deed, so they have no legal right to the house).
I personally think all people should have a safe, decent house to live in and raise kids in, so I love the show. I think they could spread the wealth around a bit more by taking a whole street and doing repairs and basic cosmetic improvements to improve the quality of life for the maximum amount of people for the money, but I guess that wouldn't make for a tear jerking show.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM

164 posts, read 312,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthebaker View Post
CVS also gave them $100,000 for medical expenses.
WOW! That is awesome!!

Stage 4 colon cancer is bad. VERY bad. Very few people live past 5 years once dx'd with this horrible disease. I hope the show, the new home, and the wonderful gift from CVS can give this woman peace as she struggles day to day with this monster.

I hope I did not come off as insensitive in my previous post. I did not know the taxes were THAT low in this section of NC. Had this been NJ

Again, my heart goes out to this woman.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM

I didn't think you were being insensitive. Just figured I'd let people have more info to get a better idea of the whole picture. It is a terrible thing. Not a good reason to get to a nice home. I'd rather have a terrible place & not be dying than to miss out on seeing my kids grow older.

I think the show usually isn't in big cities like in NY & NJ because of the taxes. They seem to have it in smaller towns. Taxes here are great. My sister has the same size house as I do in Midland, NJ, but it cost her almost a million dollars and she pays $22,000 a year in property taxes alone. I could have only afforded a shoebox where she's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point