U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times

Advertisements

Finally made it to Natty Greene's in downtown Greensboro last night for dinner. I've had a number of their beers from the grocery store and liked them, so I've been meaning to go there for a while. But living on the other side of the Triad, I just hadn't made the effort until now. I was very impressed with their beer offerings and their food. I tried about 7 different beers, and I liked them all. I especially like the Red Nose Winter Ale, the witbier, and their porter.

We have Foothills Brewery here in Winston-Salem, but I've always thought it was okay but not superb. Their food is overpriced and just average overall, IMO. And while I like a couple of their beers, I'm not a huge fan of their offerings. But I think Natty Greene's has it right. Excellent beers, great food, and fairly priced. I will definitely go back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Next time hoof it south a couple of blocks to the Mellow Mushroom, 17 beers on tap from all over. A friend who lives near Winston prefers the MM in the 'boro.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Hi WFW, I'm a big fan of MM, going back to the days when the one in Asheville was the only one in NC. Haven't been to the one in Greensboro yet, but I do go to the Winston location quite often. Impressive beer offerings indeed. It is interesting how they can be so different. The one in Asheville has a very Bohemian feel, with lots of hippie-types mixed in with the tourist families and business-people, and lots of interesting/crazy decorations. The Winston location has more of a sleek diner kind of ambiance. What's the one in Greensboro like?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM

Very much the way you described the one in Asheville. It's almost as if they couldn't decide which way to go with the decor.
I like Foothills also, but given the choice I'll take Natty's.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Natty Greene's is undergoing a third expansion at its Greensboro brewery, and other cities have shown interest in the brand.
Meanwhile, the brewer is battling Anheuser-Busch, which filed an opposition to its trademark application over the "Natty" name.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
Love Natty Greene's AND their beer! Mellow Mushroom has a good selection of beers as well. When I go there, I usually try to get the beer sampler.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM

63 posts, read 74,701 times
Perhaps I'm in the minority here but, I've always been greatly disappointed with Natty and their beer and food selection. None of their beers have ever impressed me, and their food, particularly their sandwiches, have always been greasy and their burgers remarkably dry.

Like WFW&P noted, when it's up to me, I go to MM instead. I don't love Foothills in Winston that much either but I find it a better experience over Natty. That said, I've certainly been spoiled because work takes me to Asheville frequently and I generally stop by Thirsty Monk and other beer pubs in town.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Natty's is a great spot. Fantastic for downtown. I don't know why you'd automatically compare them to Foothills, though, and I don't want this to become another stupid city vs. city thing. Foothills has a better reputation in the wider craft beer community, which is largely due to the quality of their seasonal brews. Sexual Chocolate and Jade IPA are outstanding beers, and Natty's doesn't quite have the same kind of showstoppers. Now, the rank and file beers are much more comparable. Foothills Hoppyum is my go-to IPA, but I don't think Torch Pilsner is anything special and think that People's Porter is just okay. Natty's, meanwhile, puts out a slate of consistent beers across the board. There's nothing I dislike, but nothing that stands out in an increasingly crowded field of microbrews.

One thing is for SURE, though: If you can turn just ONE FRIEND on to craft beers and away from macro brews (Bud, Miller, Coors) and their imposter "craft beers" (Blue Moon, Shock Top, Killians, etc), you'll keep more of your money local and support small-to-medium-sized businesses.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Natty's is a great spot. Fantastic for downtown. I don't know why you'd automatically compare them to Foothills, though, and I don't want this to become another stupid city vs. city thing. Foothills has a better reputation in the wider craft beer community, which is largely due to the quality of their seasonal brews. Sexual Chocolate and Jade IPA are outstanding beers, and Natty's doesn't quite have the same kind of showstoppers. Now, the rank and file beers are much more comparable. Foothills Hoppyum is my go-to IPA, but I don't think Torch Pilsner is anything special and think that People's Porter is just okay. Natty's, meanwhile, puts out a slate of consistent beers across the board. There's nothing I dislike, but nothing that stands out in an increasingly crowded field of microbrews.

One thing is for SURE, though: If you can turn just ONE FRIEND on to craft beers and away from macro brews (Bud, Miller, Coors) and their imposter "craft beers" (Blue Moon, Shock Top, Killians, etc), you'll keep more of your money local and support small-to-medium-sized businesses.
Natty's is getting more in step with seasonal brews while maintaining the core beers year round.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

I LOVE Red Oak beer, but it's kind of expensive. But man, when you get it fresh from the tap - it's so nice!

Macro-brews are good if you're sole purpose is to "party". The craft beers and seasonal beers, to me, are more for actually enjoying a good flavor and having one, maybe two beers max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point