U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 58,861 times

Advertisements

Hi all
we jsut moved here and i was looking on the dmv site and i do not understand there 3% fee nor can i find a straight answer on how much this is going to cost me

we moved from nj where it was a set fee .....

Here i see this 3% of my cars value. is this a one time or a yearly fee because according to my numbers if my car is worth 20k im looking a 600.00 registration fee?????? that cannot be right and if it is do i have to pay this fee every year except at a lower value rate???

if thats the case it would be cheaper for me to keep NJ insurance and jsut go back every year to register even withthe lower insurance rate her in NC.

Now my other car BB is only worth maybe 3500.00 but the car is not worth that at all hell i only paid 1500.00 for it will i be charged 105.00 ???

thanks
e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM

273 posts, read 851,507 times
Yes and no. There is a yearly personal property tax on cars, boats, atv's, motocycles, etc..., that rate I believe is tied to your county's property tax rate, here in WS is about 1.1% and that is YEARLY. The 3% rate you see is when you purchase a car, so you don't have to worry about that. Tags are ~$40, and inspection is about the same. So to register your vehicle for the first time you'll pay the $40 at the title place plus the cost of the title transfer, then you'll probably get a bill from your county for the property tax sometime. Yearly costs for you on 20k, about $300.

I know what you mean about not being able to find anything about the costs of moving here with a vehicle. Luckily, your insurance should drop substantially here I would think. From Houston to WS I dropped $400/yr for 2 cars with full coverage.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM

19 posts, read 58,861 times
Ouch

we are gonna see about 50.00 less a month in car insurance

but i used to flip cars all the time now if buy a car and drive it for a month or two it will cut into my profit margin

so essentially i have to wait a two years to see the gain

thanks for the info

Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
If you buy & sell too many cars (6?) in a year NC will consider you a dealer & you will have to register as one.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM

69 posts, read 144,855 times
I sympathize - my friends just moved back from California to Greensboro, and they are having to cough up about $300 each to register new tags - this is a one time fee though, but if you don't expect it, it can be an unpleasant surprise.
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-05-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 34,880 times
Ugh...I just moved back from Vegas, and I wish I'd never left. It's 10 times harder to get your car legal here than it is in Sin City. I'm letting my car go because I've decided that it's easier to buy a beater, register it and deal with the credit repercussions (my credit already can't get worse) than to roll with what I have.

I went to get my license the other day and it's an act of Congress to do that as well. I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point