U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,197,694 times

Advertisements

I know this area has been talked about in other posts, but my search in the old post section didn't help.

So any information on Kernersville would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I were in NC in May, starting out in Raleigh and only getting as far west as Mebane. We liked Raleight and the surrounding areas, but they seem to growing fast ( I know, duh.. ).

Info on what the city is like; is it growing like other areas?; Taxes; As we are closing in on retirement, we are not interested in schools. Perhaps the job situation so we don't sit around and stare at each other

We found some nice developments there online, liking one especially by Centex. So before we make the trip again, any advance information on this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. We have found alot of helpful information on this forum and the people on here are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Default K'ville

Since schools are not a concern, no need to get into that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Kernersville - there's something about it that doesn't appeal to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I live in a neighboring community in Guilford County (K'ville is in Forsyth County), by the way, that I do enjoy.

I certainly don't hate the area. I wouldn't even use the word "dislike". I think "bland" may be the best description.

One odd thing about K'ville is that it has bad traffic for a small town, probably because the town center doesn't resemble anything close to a grid - throw in the railroad, and that makes it worse. The town itself has some shopping (it has a few "big-box" stores), but you will have to go to GSO, Winston-Salem, or even High Point for a lot of things - especially entertainment options.

My personal opinion is that there are some worse places to live in the Triad, but there are also some better places to live than K'ville.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,098 times
Growing up in Winston-Salem, we kinda always thought of Kernersville as a pitstop on the way to Greensboro.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
There are nice houses in Kernersville, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. Now this is probably just me (because I really don't know statistics or what-have-you), but it seems to me that Winston-Salem and Greensboro will just continue to grow and expand (though probably not as quickly as Charlotte and Raleigh) and I'd feel like I was getting squeezed between the two. That could just be my crazy mind though. What do I know about that sort of thing really? lol

I would head for smaller communities to the northwest of Greensboro if I were you. Just my humble opinion.

All the best to you.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 AM

676 posts, read 2,801,625 times
What are your feelings with the Davidson county section near Winston-Salem? Any feedback about Lexington?

Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,098 times
^ Yikes. If given the choice between Kernersville and Davidson County, then yeah, I'd pick Kernersville then.
My knowledge and experiences of Davidson County could be put together and summed up in two words: hardcore redneck. (Just google sheriff Gerald Hege and you'll find plenty to back up my feelings about the place.)

Old 07-23-2006, 04:26 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,197,694 times
Thanks for the responses. Especially Rob's. Puts a new perspective on the whole thing .

So any advice about the areas you guys mentioned like some of the cities you guys like since you live there would be appreciated. We would like to have a few places set in our minds on our next trip up.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Default Communities

What are you seeking? A neighborhood, subdivision, townhouse community, etc? Something within a city, small town, or rural area?

Any specific entertaiment options or activities you are looking for?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM

62 posts, read 162,758 times
For JAS...this is Mr. Catrick. Looking for a community of new single family homes, not a large community. We are now in a community of 240 townhomes that isn't too bad sizewise. No specific entertainment options. I have already retired once, from civil service, and to keep busy I am in the construction inspection business. I'd kind of like to keep my hand in, so someplace that has construction going on (within a reasonable commute) would be good.
We are probably coming up again later this year (want to move in a little less than a year) to scope out the Triad area. Since it appears that you have been on this forum for a while, would it be any problem if we, when we hear of a new community, contact you about any input and insight you have about that particular area?

Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,182,716 times
[quote=ripath]For JAS...this is Mr. Catrick. Looking for a community of new single family homes, not a large community. We are now in a community of 240 townhomes that isn't too bad sizewise. No specific entertainment options. I have already retired once, from civil service, and to keep busy I am in the construction inspection business. I'd kind of like to keep my hand in, so someplace that has construction going on (within a reasonable commute) would be good.[quote]

Check eastern Davie county, specifically exit 180 - Kinderton Place. It's one of those planned retail/home communities. The area around there is growing; Bermuda Run is the very high end community; but farther down 158 are some nice subdivisions.

Davie county is growing - especially the east side. We were just driving down 801, between Advance and highway 64, and where a new middle school is being built, someone just listed 127 acres for sale. It probably won't be long before some developer scoops it up and starts building. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point