U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:31 AM

38 posts, read 189,086 times

Advertisements

I am considering burlington nc. I have heard theres nothing to do there. I know theres a zoo in greensboro and a water park too. I have kids ages 5 and 10. Greensboro is only 20 mins away. I love raleigh area. My husband hates the loop area raleigh with all the congestion of traffic,because this would be my 1st choice. Also houses are way cheaper in burlington nc. Charlotte is nice but to big of city. I like concord and possibly mooresville.
I am aiming at burlington.
Tlcha
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,237 times
My wife was raised in Burlington and many in her family still live there. Burlington really is a nice town in many ways (good schools, safe, great people), but other than a few really nice parks and a small mall, there really isn't much to do in the city itself. But you do have I-85 to take you to Greensboro or Raleigh for things to do. And, you're right, the farther east you get from Greensboro, the higher home prices go up.

As far as Charlotte, it's a big city, but the suburban areas around Charlotte are awesome. Great schools, LOTS to do, and wonderful home prices. Not trying to lure you from Burlington, just suggesting don't rule out metro Charlotte. Let me know if you want any info. Good luck!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,179 times
People call it Borington for a reason.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 PM

129 posts, read 419,560 times
Burlington does have minor league baseball.

But then, so do Greensboro, Durham, Winston, Zebulon, Kannapolis, Kinston, Hickory, and Asheville, plus you've got the Coastal Plain collegiate league. NC is pretty great for baseball.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM

24 posts, read 133,756 times
Been in town next door to burlington. I like it becuase it got it shops. There is no town feel to it. Maybe it will change the longer I get here. It just one place to throw money down the drain fast.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
Have you checked out Mebane? It's between Burlington and Durham. I hear it's a nice town to live in. And you wouldn't be too awful far from interesting things to do in the Triangle.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM

525 posts, read 1,923,934 times
Burlington is close to two metro areas- the Triad (WS/GSO/HP) and the Triangle. If you can't find something to do in those two areas...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 33,126 times
I currently live in burlington. They are building a new area for shopping"Alamance Crossing". Burlington has a lot of parks and one large park that has a train. But that's about it. The schools are not as good as they once where. They failed short two years straight at meeting the National Standard "No Child Left Behind Act". I know this because I received the letter for my son school friday. As for safety, that will depend on the area you choose. But over all it ok. Yes it is boring at times.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM

57 posts, read 181,370 times
Burlington is more boring that Greensboro or the Raleigh Durham area, but it is so much more affordable than those areas. I have lived in both Greensboro and Durham and now live in Burlington (I could afford a lot more home and land for the money). I will admit that I am currently trying to sell my home and move closer to Durham and Raleigh, but mainly due to family reasons.

Burlington is growing and getting more shopping, a new theater soon, more restaurants, etc.;however, if you want to enjoy a nightlife, want to see plays/musicals/live music, want to see sporting events (minor league baseball, hockey, college basketball) you will have to journey to Greensboro or Raleigh/Durham.

Burlington is very central so you can easily enjoy the benefits of being able to travel to both the Triad and Triangle areas.

Since you mentioned the state zoo (which is in Asheboro) you can be there in an hour from Burlington.

I have a nice house on nearly an acre lot and it sits right outside of the Burlington city limits in a quiet neighborhood. I have low taxes and can sit on my back deck and see the stars at night. I have a bunny that lives in my back yard. I have a natural wooded area with a pond at the rear of my property which is very serene (and I can go fishing). I can also be at some prime shopping in Burlington in 10 minutes from house, prime shopping/theatres in Durham in 30 minutes, go enjoy a night of live music in Chapel Hill in 30 minutes (or in Raleigh in an hour). I can be in the mountains in about 1.5-2 hours or at the beach in 3 hours. It is sort of like having the best of both worlds ... if you don't mind driving a while to get to some things.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,038,023 times
It is all about what you want, what your entertainment normally consists of, and how close you want it to be to your house. Burlington is growing, as is Mebane, as previously noted above, both area have local festivals, fireworks for the normal holidays, proximity to various other things. The best Mexican restaurant, not just authentic Mexican food, but really high quality Mexican food is in Mebane. Burlington has one small mall, and a new, large shopping center, similar to "Friendly" in Greensboro, just bigger, a good bit bigger. The same folks who run the "Janus" chain of theaters in GSO run the Cine complex in Burlington. Elon College has a comprehensive athletic agenda, pretty much, name your sport of choice and they participate in it. College hoops abound in this area, ACC basketball, a major conversational topic in this neck of the woods, particularly this time of the year. If all you do is sit in the house and watch TV, then, yes, there is nothing to do here. If you are active and willing to move around a little, virtually all parts of the state are a day trip from here, ergo, there are lots to do, you just may have to go to it, suspect that is the case no matter where you live. There are parts of New York several hours from Yankee Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point