U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I'm relocating to the Triad from out of state, and looking to live mostly in the SW Greensboro area, Jamestown, etc. to stay close to my spouse's work and nearby family. However my job will be in RTP.

While I recognize the commute is on the extreme side (75+ miles each way...uggh...), for various reasons I'd like to see if it's something I can make work. I may be looking at only a few days/week, so that would certainly help. We have looked at Burlington, Mebane, etc as a compromise, but that puts us too far from family in Winston.

A few questions for the forum:
-What are the traffic conditions like on I-40 between the two cities - mornings eastbound, evenings westbound? Any huge problem areas in there?
-What are peak rush hours on that route? Just in case I can work my schedule around them.
-Are there any mass transit options available at all, and worth considering?
-Within Greensboro itself, is the I-85 southern "loop" I can see on maps better than going straight through I-40 and town?

Or am I insane for giving this a try? I'm open to sanity checks, and thanks a ton for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:03 AM

273 posts, read 850,553 times
I would if at all possible try to compromise in mebane, burlington. It's about a 45min-1hr drive to Winston from there. Will you be seeing your family or work more, I guess that's the tipping point.

To address your other points:
1-You really won't hit much traffic until you get to Chapel Hill on I-40 eastbound. Westbound, you will regret the drive, it's mostly stop and go until you get past 15/501 on I-40, then it tends to thin out. If you can leave around 4pm your life easier.
2-morning is around 7-9am, evening is 4-6
3-There is a train service from downtown Greensboro to Raleigh, I'm not really sure about it though. I'm not sure of a bus service.
4-That depends. It's always hit and miss with traffic through town on I-40. It's about 5 mins faster to go through town, if it doesn't slow down, if it does then the loop is easier. I've just gotten in the habit of taking the loop since there is no traffic and I can set the cruise and just drive.

I drive from Winston to Downtown Raleigh a couple times a week and it gets old, but doable especially if you don't have drive at rush hour.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
If you can schedule your travel around the off peak traffic you might save some sanity.
Since you're going to be in SW part of Guilford county the loop a.k.a I-73 (for now) would probably benefit you.
The worst spot between the two cities on I-40/I-85 is Burlington, have no idea why but accidents are quite regular with some being severe.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,056 times
akwebb81 and WFW&P: Thanks for the feedback and advice, just what I was hoping for! My work hours should be somewhat flexible, so I'm hoping I can shape them around rush hours as suggested.

Beyond that, I'll be looking into investing in some serious audiobooks and CD-based language training, and becoming a major advocate for regional commuter rail. (I checked Amtrak - would be fantastic if I was trying the reverse commute, but not workable from GSO->RTP in the mornings)

Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM

13 posts, read 77,366 times
it's definitely doable. i was commuting from winston salem to greenville 3 times a week. it is not fun during rush hours but a book on cd helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point