U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 19,433 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am currently an Illinoisan prospectively becoming a North Carolinan in 2012. I am also a single parent with two children. By May or June (of 2010), I will have my Practical Nursing Certificate. My question is: Do Licensed Practical Nurses, specifically in Winston Salem, NC, make a substantial salary to have a descent lifestyle (i.e. afford an apartment in a nice neighborhood, to pay utility bills, etc.). The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about completing either my LPN-BSN or RN-BSN there in Winston Salem. I will greatly appreciate any replies from LPNs in Winston Salem or the surrounding areas. Thanks!

Last edited by Soon2BeNCN; 12-26-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: I wanted to add more detail and there were some errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,064 times
I just moved to the area from out of state and started my first LPN job in a LTC facility. I make $21/hr working 3rd shift. Base starting pay is $18/hr.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
With 20 plus years as an LPN, I moved to NC from Tennessee to help with my in-laws. Living in the Triad, I've seen wages for an LPN with my experience range from $26 an hour in LTC to as low as $14 at an Assisted Living Facility.

I can't wait to get back to Tennessee, where there are NO state income taxes taken from paychecks, no yearly auto inspections that can be costly. Gas is a bit cheaper per gallon in Tennessee than in NC as well.

Hospital positions for LPNs are few and far between. Cost of Living can be quite expensive, especially living in Winston-Salem. You're in competition with Wake Forest student housing. Of course, rental properties will always be higher in the larger cities.

Good Luck on your job search....

Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 19,433 times
Thanks both tuibird75 and OlderNurse for your replies. I guess I'll just complete my RN degree here in Illinois first and then consider relocating.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM

254 posts, read 825,845 times
The annual cost for an auto safety/emissions inspection in NC is $30.Cost of living in the Triad is remarkably low. Home prices and rent are both much lower than in many similarly-sized US metro areas, as are the costs of most goods and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point