U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM

321 posts, read 797,848 times

Advertisements

We have some friends moving here, they are looking at a couple of houses in Graham but we don't know much about that area to tell them. They are mid-late 40s, no kids at home. They like a couple of newer homes they've seen on 1+ acre lots. They're kind of Starbucks/Target/mall/movie goer types.... Just wondering what they'll find nearby....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,781,906 times
I personally don't care for Graham or Burlington, as I find Mebane to be nicer. But it is even more affordable out there so I guess I can see the draw for some. They'll be in luck, because right up the road is Alamance Crossings in Burlington with a Target, Starbucks, Best Buy, and lots more. Next fall a new Tangier Outlet Mall will be in Mebane. You could tell them about those shopping centers and the convenience of being between the Triangle and Triad.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM

484 posts, read 1,401,803 times
I used to have an aunt that lived in Graham. She didn't care for it much (primarily because the schools were pretty bad, and it wasn't the safest area, plus had no real subdivisions). I visited a few times, and I would personally never live there, but I thought some of the surrounding areas were beautiful. I love the Mebane area. Very nice communities, beautiful landscaping, great amenities, friendly people, and the crime rate is lower than Burlington, Graham, and other cities surrounding. The only downside to Mebane is I've heard the schools still aren't great there. We lived in Raleigh for a little while, but visited down in the Alamance/Orange County area and were not impressed with the schools at all.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,630,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
We have some friends moving here, they are looking at a couple of houses in Graham but we don't know much about that area to tell them. They are mid-late 40s, no kids at home. They like a couple of newer homes they've seen on 1+ acre lots. They're kind of Starbucks/Target/mall/movie goer types.... Just wondering what they'll find nearby....?
Graham is absolutely horrible - There is no other way to put it. My wife's parents live about 1 mile from "downtown" Graham and we absolutely dread going there for the weekend. It's been that way for 15 years and that town just keeps getting older and poorer IMO. We've been trying to get them to move out of there but they have been there forever and are very change-averse.

After meeting my eventual wife (when I lived in Greensboro) I eventually had her move with me to the Detroit area for 10 years. (We've since moved to Raleigh.) She thought that was paradise compared to Graham/Burlington. Her parents even commented to all their friends/relatives how nice Detroit was, etc, after coming to visit. It was hilarious to hear that given how Detroit gets such a bad rap.

The west part of Burlington is nicer. (East part of Burlington is downright nasty.) Over by the new Alamance Crossing there is a lot of new stores, etc.

I think your friends may like it for 6mos to a year and then get bored real fast. I'd tell them to stay far, far away...

Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM

292 posts, read 690,686 times
I would post this in the Greensboro Triad forum (http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...em-high-point/). Graham is considered part of the Triad, not the Triangle. I lived in Mebane for a year and it was not for me. I have to say from what I saw of Graham, I would not personally want to live there.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 6,908,947 times
I knew one person who lived there. I think they were a professor @ UNC-G and his wife was a professor @ UNC-Chapel Hill. I guess Graham was right in the middle?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,202,463 times
We live in Graham and find it to be a wonderful place. We live south of 40/85 in a newer development. The magazine "Our State" even did an article on Graham and the ongoing revitilization of the downtown area.

It is the county seat so it can get a little busy downtown. The areas around downtown and north of it are older and a little worn looking.

As far as the schools go, we don't have young children so that was never an issue but in our development we have several teachers and their families living here and they are happy with the schools.

Alamance Crossing is close by as stated and we are just a half hour away from the malls in Durham to the east and Greensboro to the west. Alamance Crossing has stores, retaurants, Barnes and Noble and a movie theater with more stores being added. Across the street from that is a Target, Best Buy, Ross, Starbucks and other stores and restaurants. There is also a smaller outlet area nearby and the new Tanger Outlet Mall will be in Mebane.

I suppose it depends on what they are looking for. When we were researching moving to North Carolina we knew we wanted a smaller city and an area not as crowded as where we came from-South Florida. We have an annual Christmas parade and vendors and entertainment are in the downtown area after. If you don't get there early, you don't get a good view because of the crowd. It draws a lot of people as do most of the local Christmas parades. In the summer they have weekly outdoor concerts which are very popular. And our tax rate is great-they didn't go up this year!

There are many nice cities and towns in the area. I will say we did look into Mebane and liked it. But at the time there was nothing available to us in what we were looking for in a house. One newer development at the time didn't have any open lots. I do remember the sales agent telling us that he lived in Mebane and loved it but it was starting to grow as more people moved from Orange County there to escape the taxes. And part of Mebane is in Orange County.

So it would be totally subjective to your friends. They need to drive around and get a good idea about area. We are happy but we are older and don't require much of a night life. We are in the middle between the Triad and Triangle. Close to some of the best hospitals in the country. And yes we are considered Triad. Orange County starts the Triangle area.

So I think Graham is a very nice place to live and if your friends like the area and choose to buy and build, they will like it.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM

321 posts, read 797,848 times
Catrick... the subdivision they were looking in is Coble Estates, but realized that it is too far from things. You mentioned you were in a newer development, closer to 85? Can you suggest any other subdivisions/areas to look at?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,202,463 times
That's the only other new development in Graham that I know of. Other cities have new developments but I think a realtor would be of more help. I didn't think Coble Estates was that much further away from the highway than I am. It is east and south of me.

Our builder went bankrupt and we still have lots for sale but I believe you have to find your own builder. Our lots are also on the smaller side.

You might also look up Alamance County new developments. That's what we did a few years back when we were doing our research. And every one in Alamance came up. Might be worth a try.

Good luck to your friends.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM

31 posts, read 87,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
The only downside to Mebane is I've heard the schools still aren't great there. We lived in Raleigh for a little while, but visited down in the Alamance/Orange County area and were not impressed with the schools at all.

Sorry to dispute your analysis, but South Mebane elementary and Eastern Alamance HS rock! Cedar Ridge High in Orange blows the doors off anything Chapel Hill is selling..............

Move to Mebane, visit downtown Graham............. and thank us later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point