Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 31,666 times

Advertisements

We are moving from NJ to Austin and are planning on stopping in NC to purchase furniture for basically an entire house. We don't have the luxury of time of waiting for a piece of furniture to be made or customized, so we need to go to places like clearance centers and outlets where we can buy the furniture that day and walk out with it. We are looking for good quality furniture at a good value. Nothing extremely luxurious, but we want it to last a long time and don't want to spend a fortune. We have some questions about furniture shopping and the area:

1. Hickory vs. High Point - which is going to offer the biggest selection for cash and carry stores?

2. Do stores accept credit cards? If they accept checks, is there a problem with out of state checks? We would pay in cash, but hate the idea of having to travel with a large sum of cash.

3. What are normal shipping costs....is there a general rule of thumb like a percentage of the amount spent? We are able to rent a truck for just over $600....is that cheaper or more expensive than it would cost to ship a household's worth of furniture?

4. I have read that most clearance and outlet stores offer 50-80% off of manufacturers suggested retail price. How does it work in terms of negotiation - do they automatically list the discounted price or is that something you have to negotiate? How low do you start the negotiations? If the piece has minor damage, it is reasonable to ask for more $ off and if so, how much more?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice! We are looking forward to our furniture buying adventure!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I think the days of inexpensive furniture made in NC are probably over. Most of those NC manufacturers have stopped making their own furniture but continue to use the warehouses to sell the imported stuff from China. They're may be some small scale manufacturing in NC and you still may get a good deal but the big manufactures, just like the auto parts manufacturers have left for the far East.
Maybe if we still made, autos,furniture,TVs, clothes,shoes, etc,etc we might not have 10% unemployment. (sorry for the political rant. You are looking to buy furniture, my bad)

Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,078 times
Default Start in Hickory and then head up US 321

Hickory has the largest retail furniture market space in NC and the Catawba County area still produces a major part of the upholstered furniture market.

North Carolina Furniture Outlet Stores at Hickory Furniture Mart

On the northwest side of Hickory at I-40 and US 321, begins the "20 Miles of Furniture Road", the name representing the drive up into Caldwell County to Lenoir on US 321. Lenoir was previously the "Furniture Capital of the World" and today is where Broyhill, Century, Bernhardt, Thomasville, among many others still produce NC made furniture.

20 Miles of Furniture

From Lenoir, it is a short drive on US 64 towards Morganton (Burke County) where Henredon is still making their beautiful furniture.

Hope you enjoy your time in Lenoir. For an excellent restaurant meal, try Buzzards in downtown Lenoir

Lenoir NC Casual Dining Restaurant - Buzzards Restaurant & Bar

and for a wonderful historical experience, visit Revolutionary War General William Lenoir's home, Fort Defiance.

Discover more about Fort Defiance in Lenoir North Carolina, and other attractions nearby.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:46 PM

23 posts, read 58,025 times
I have lots of questions to ask, can so one tell me where an international food store is( the closest one to Hickory),(2), where I get get a good hair stylist who can braid (3)good swim team,piano and dancing classes for my daughters. I just moved to the mountainview area of hickory and I do need help, thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chide View Post
I have lots of questions to ask, can so one tell me where an international food store is( the closest one to Hickory),(2), where I get get a good hair stylist who can braid (3)good swim team,piano and dancing classes for my daughters. I just moved to the mountainview area of hickory and I do need help, thanks in advance
Hi, Chide,
You should start a new thread in the main NC forum. This sub-forum is read mostly by people in the Triad, which is 1-2 hours from Hickory.

Welcome to Hickory.

I think the schools have swim teams. You could ask the coaches there, or try the YMCA. The schools or teachers might also be able to help you connect with other families whose children take piano and dance lessons.

For the braids, you could ask someone who gets theirs braided the way you like - even strangers in the grocery store are usually happy to talk.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
I have a designer friend who sells only furniture made in NC. She has a great leather company called Bradington Young that she sells less than any furniture store I have priced. I have a sectional in our rec area and it is over 15 years old so I do plan to buy this brand again!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:13 AM

23 posts, read 54,348 times
Check out the Hickory Habitat for Humanity RESTORE near downtown (go to the back warehouse). They get brand new furniture donations from factories.Also check out the Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams outlet http://www.mgandbw.com/faq.aspGood luck with your move!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 31,666 times
So it seems like we have a couple of votes for Hickory and nothing for High Point. I thought High Point was the "Furniture Capital of the World". So for the factory outlets in Lenoir......they are open to the public and are direct factory outlets? Will they offer better deals than a place like Furnitureland South?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,957 times
As far as I know, Furnitureland South does accept personal checks. I don't know about out of state checks. The website will probably give you that information. They have a credit card that they try to market to you. We did not have a good experience there.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 8,963 times
Hi.. I tried sell my furniture in to cash, so I can move out ASAP. but the craigslist is so awful, people keep flag on me that I cant sell I did post 17 times on Craigslist.. I need to leave, this furniture is not free.. I want to sell it cheap to make you happy. This furniture is not damage at all... Where Can I go for cash into used furniture... I need cash for gas to drive out of this State. email is [email]ai8487@gmail.com[/email]. or text 336- nine eight seven-99 three one.. If you know someone need nice and beautiful furniture here,, TRUST ME !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point