U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 AM

31 posts, read 87,142 times

Advertisements

I sure do love this place!

What we need now is a world class YMCA! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 PM

116 posts, read 332,266 times
Wasn't there a plan to put a YMCA across from Walmart on Mebane Oaks.

(I know the city wanted to, I don't know if they got the funding.)

Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,631,877 times
i dont think the YMCA is ever going to happen. there is one in Burlington and Mebane just redid the Rec center

Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,439,269 times
Be careful about wishing for too much in the way of "world class" amenities. What makes Mebane charming is its small-town atmosphere. You start bringing in "world class" facilities and before you know it, there's a "world class" gym and a "world class" hotel and a "world class" this and a "world class" that. Traffic, population, and taxes increase...and all of a sudden Mebane is no longer Mebane, it's just another city.

People LIKE the fact that there araen't hundreds of folks driving in to Mebane to use it's "world class" facilities. You really cannot have it both ways and get BOTH small-town charm AND the amenities one expects of larger places.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM

We need a public pool for folks to swim laps. I'm not going to pay at the two pay for view pools. Time to get going on it. Which reminds me................has anyone used the tennis courts???? They are awesome!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM

there are TALKS of a pool when /IF the white building gets going, but i believe you will still have to pay a fee. right now though, you can join the Milleniuim gym --it has a lap pool

Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,052,517 times
Hummmmmm, I have thought that the white building could be used as artist studio sites, plenty of room, put in functional baths & bath rooms a few partition walls and w/the large window area, be plenty of natural light. Seems like a collective (co-op if one prefers) of artists and artisans would be good for downtown, and put the "White Elephant" to some use.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmmm, I have thought that the white building could be used as artist studio sites, plenty of room, put in functional baths & bath rooms a few partition walls and w/the large window area, be plenty of natural light. Seems like a collective (co-op if one prefers) of artists and artisans would be good for downtown, and put the "White Elephant" to some use.
hey Dusty, hope you are doing well

actually there WAS an artist co-op downtown, and they closed in September --unfortunately they weren't getting enough business. BUT some of the artists are trying to do it again at a different location.
the WHITE building is supposed to become a mixed use building with Apartments/Condos and retail. supposedly they need to get it done by the end of 2010.
we ARE getting a bowling alley though...where the old lowes foods downtown used to be--Washington Street.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
hey Dusty, hope you are doing well

actually there WAS an artist co-op downtown, and they closed in September --unfortunately they weren't getting enough business. BUT some of the artists are trying to do it again at a different location.
the WHITE building is supposed to become a mixed use building with Apartments/Condos and retail. supposedly they need to get it done by the end of 2010.
we ARE getting a bowling alley though...where the old lowes foods downtown used to be--Washington Street.
Wow, that's nice, now if they would just put in a couple of reg. size pooltables......, I haven't shot pool in so long, I am seriously off of my stick. There is one table in one of the bars downtown, but, I haven't done the bar scene in a long time, a day or two at least.

And Dime is right, the courts are really nice!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm no bowler, but I'm willing to learn.........and I like the Charlie Sheen shirts. They say this new AMF bowling alley is going to be T.V. tournament quality...........with video games and eats. I know we will try to support it once a month.

They have great pools in Hillsborough at Sportsplex, but we need our own.

Whatever happend about that go cart track I read someone was going to build off Trollinger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point