U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:45 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,048,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
I work at UNC Greensboro, and in my opinion, any houses in the 30K range that you could live in while fixing (if you could even find one!) would be in pretty dangerous neighborhoods. You would have to drive through them to see for yourself. GSO has a downtown farmer's market a couple of days a week, and there is a huge one that's open every day off I-40 on the way to Kernersville. There aren't that many natural food stores, at least that I've been able to find, and I've been here about 5 years now--there's a Deep Roots Market a couple miles down Spring Garden Road from UNCG but the selection is limited. There is a Whole Foods store in Winston-Salem that's pretty good. People here tend to eat lots of fast food, quanity over quality appears to be the rule. Also, I heard over winter break that some out of state developer is trying to put up some massive student housing complexes in a quaint neighborhood near UNCG and the residents are fighting it--you'll see signs all over the lawns in that area, beware because the city will definitely side w/the developer on that one.
I have no idea what a LGBT community is, so can't help you with that--and don't make enough money at UNCG to go to coffee shops, bars, movies, etc.
Would it be safe to assume the above in not including Tate Street Coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Yes Maam, kkkatey, it really isn't as big a trick as you might think. I grow two rows of tomatoes, sometimes three (I live on tomato sandwiches for about 3 months a year), a row of yellow squash, a row of zucchini, half a row of jalapenos, half a row of Poblanos and another half a row of a yellow (I forget the name of it until I see it on the seed packet) and half a row of cukes. Three, sometimes four full rows of a variety of white sweet corn named "incredible" (more than lives up to it's name, it is so sweet that I will often eat two or three ears raw before I get them back to the house) another row comprised of cantalopes and sugar baby watermelons. About every other year I do a row of pumpkins. I get almost everything I need at an agricultural co-op. There is one in GSO, reasonably close to UNC-G, DM me and I'll tell you the name (they frown on advertising here). Oh yeah.....a good tiller is worth the investment.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkatey View Post
Dusty Rhodes - you water a 1/4 acre garden with a can!? Impressive! Almost as impressive as the 3 acres of space! I am an avid gardener, but I only got serious about growing fruit and vegetables and storing them for winter a couple of years ago. But I know that a lot of things that grew for me in NC won't grow for me now, so really looking forward to being back!
LOL, actually we have 11.26 acres with a creek, mostly hardwoods and the clearing. You can not see the house from the road, nor the road from the house. In winter sometimes I can actually see the lights of my closest neighbor. We and the dogs, one cat and a spoiled bird really do like living here. We can tire out the dogs, [(3) Dreifus, the large GSD male, father of Jorja, spayed female GSD and one (Leilu) genuine rescue mutt puppy, also spayed], getting them to chase and retrieve various flung objects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point