U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,481 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm interviewing for a job in Winston-Salem and am interested in the area, specifically the cultural offerings. My wife and I (both in our mid-20's) currently live in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago, and I'm interested if Winston-Salem has any similar areas? This would hopefully contain older, well-kept housing stock, walkable neighborhoods, and non-chain restaurants. Any suggestions on the area/neighborhoods? Areas to avoid? We're definitely not into vinyl-siding suburban areas (its just not us)! We'd welcome any input and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,250,583 times
If you targeted the West End, and worked your way West through Country Club Road, Robinhood Road, the Beuna Vista and Reynolda neighborhoods, Peace Haven Road and beyond, you'll probably find something to your liking.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM

273 posts, read 850,553 times
I think the stock answer for you is to check out the West End and Ardmore (Washington Park for older homes, however, not so much on the amenities). West End is just that, on the west end of downtown with plenty of non conventional restaurants and cafes and large victorian/1900 era homes. Ardmore is more eclectic with it's home selections, you can find newer builds, 50's ranchers and 20's storybook, you name it the style is there. Ardmore is very walkable and offers the ability to walk to the grocery, however, not so many restaurants. You'll find the prices higher in the West End, than Ardmore. When we moved here a couple of years ago, we chose a quiet suburban neighborhood and looking at it again, I would probably have tried Ardmore for more of a walkability factor. You'll find a lot of info on here if you search for those two key terms. Post any new questions you may have.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,481 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for those suggestions - we'll check it out!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank84 View Post
Hi,

I'm interviewing for a job in Winston-Salem and am interested in the area, specifically the cultural offerings. My wife and I (both in our mid-20's) currently live in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago, and I'm interested if Winston-Salem has any similar areas? This would hopefully contain older, well-kept housing stock, walkable neighborhoods, and non-chain restaurants. Any suggestions on the area/neighborhoods? Areas to avoid? We're definitely not into vinyl-siding suburban areas (its just not us)! We'd welcome any input and thanks in advance!
Why anyone would leave chicago for here is beyond me, but having done the same thing more than 30 years ago (before either of you were born )
lived off Broadway&Addison near old Wrigley Field.

My daughter lived here: Winston Salem Apartments Nissen Building Apartment and loved it. Short-term lease agreements.
Others: Living Downtown

Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Well, it ain't Chicago, but for its size Winston-Salem has a lot to offer. Big on the arts, visual and performing, a number of good local bars and restaurants, and friendly people. The downtown is becoming a nice after-hours/weekend destination after years of neglect, and there are tons of neat things to do in the regional area (e.g., mountains, wineries, camping/hiking, athletic events, etc.). And we're only about 3 to 3 1/2 hours from the coast. I think you'll find it to be a great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point