U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

We were thinking about switch our old electric water heater out for a gas water heater. We do not currently have any gas running into the house. However, PNG says that so long as we are connecting either a Water Heater or a Furnance then they wouold run the line from the street to the outside of the house for Free. Great! I'm thinking since the distance from the side of the house to where the water heater would be is only about 18' (and almost a direct line), then the installation should not be too bad. In additioin, since I know that it will also have to be vented, the spot for the water heater is in the basement (no need to crawling around) right beside an old oil furnace chimney. The chimney can be used for the venting (drop the needed pipes striaght down). BUT, when PNG sent someone out to give me an estimate on how much the installation would be I got quoted almost TWO THOUSAND dollars! (not including the water heater). Is this normal? What should the average cost of running the gas line into the house normally run? At that sort of cost I am not sure it would be worth it to switch to gas.

Anyone have any help here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
I don't know what the normal price is, but my father paid about that price to run gas lines into his house. I believe he paid even more than $2000. I will try to remember to ask him the price and details next time I talk to him. He HATES electric stoves, so the price was worth it to him! I made myself learn to love electric stoves for that kind of money.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 PM

69 posts, read 144,671 times
Default Water Heater / Electric to Gas

2K huh? Ouch. My water heater just went out last week after only 27 years, and I thought about doing exactly what you're doing. Usually PNG wants to do whatever they can with installation on gas logs, etc. so that you get busy using their gas. I would try to negotiate with them on the install price and re-emphasize how much additional product you'll be using. maybe talk to some local licensed contractors about this - it shouldn't cost that much considering you've pretty much got it figured out and there doesn't sound like any major curve balls to work around. Its not rocket science and about as easy as running any other type of plumbing. Do you want to put in a tankless out of curiosity? Some people swear by them - they'll cost you about $1200 instead of $250, but I've heard they'll save as much as $80/mo on your power bill which easily pays you back in a year. Well good luck and let us know what you do & how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point