U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 PM

21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times

Advertisements

I want to do some research of Quaker records at Guilford College. Are the available records on microfilm or original? Do they allow you to do your own research of the records or do you have to request it from employees of the library?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
I don't mean to sound like a smart aleck, but have you tried asking the GC library?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I don't mean to sound like a smart aleck, but have you tried asking the GC library?
As a matter of fact, no. I normally post on the Charlotte board. Considering some of the questions that are asked there, I didn't think that these questions would be considered stupid & inappropriate here. People on that board answer questions in a helpful manner & frequently add tips.

I thought that the odds were good that someone in the area does or has done research on this topic, & I also figured others might come along who wondered the same thing. I believe that that is what the spirit of the boards is supposed to be.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I normally post on the Charlotte board. Considering some of the questions that are asked there, I didn't think that these questions would be considered stupid & inappropriate here.

Yes, the Charlotte board often contains questions that are considered stupid & inappropriate here.

Just kidding! I do think you're overreacting a bit here. Roadpony is a worthy poster, and I don't think any malice was intended at all. Perhaps you had run into a road block with the library, or need their contact info. I think Roadpony was just trying to understand whether you had tried to contact them so we can better address your questions.

Last edited by arbyunc; 01-22-2010 at 05:49 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yes, the Charlotte board often contains questions that are considered stupid & inappropriate here.

Just kidding! I do think you're overreacting a bit here. Roadpony is a worthy poster, and I don't think any malice was intended at all. Perhaps you had run into a road block with the library, or need their contact info. I think Roadpony was just trying to understand whether you had tried to contact them so we can better address your questions.
My OP was short & concise. There is nothing to figure out. My point in asking here rather than to privately ask the school's library is this.

I am doing genealogy. Records of some of my ancestors are in their records back to the 1760s. That would include James Mendenhall, for whom Jamestown was named. I am decended for one his sons from his first wife, who also went to Georgia, where James died. The Georgia records are in the library, as well as the North Carolina records.

I know a lot of other people, native to NC & other areas who are interested in researching there. I will pass the information to the people who I know.

That means plenty of people who I don't even know also have the same questions. They might go to Greensboro on a day trip or as tourists, but they are wondering the same things. For that reason I thought that I would ask some very simple questions.

Also, I asked because I am used to people not just being helpful and answering questions, but also throwing in some helpful tips.

Is that plain & clear enough? Is there a reason that I am being asked to justify a very simple post?

If someone else has already asked these questions, then the helpful thing is to tell me & I will search the board more thoroughly. If my thread lies dormant for 6 months before someone posts an answer, that's OK with me.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Is there a reason that I am being asked to justify a very simple post?

Geez, calm down. No one asked you to justify anything. You posted a question, Roadpony asked a very logical follow-up question, and you thought she was somehow attacking you. I defended her because I know her to be a cordial and helpful poster on this board. There's no need to take offense at anything she said.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Geez, calm down. No one asked you to justify anything. You posted a question, Roadpony asked a very logical follow-up question, and you thought she was somehow attacking you. I defended her because I know her to be a cordial and helpful poster on this board. There's no need to take offense at anything she said.
I'm quite calm.

I did not attack anyone, but did respond to a post that seemed to me to be unnecessarily abrasive. She went over to & posted on the Charlotte board & her question was answered in a helpful manner.

K&W makes a difference in people lives

Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Hege Library - Guilford College

Reference Services: Consultation Request, Library Instruction, Citation Resources

Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Hege Library - Guilford College

Reference Services: Consultation Request, Library Instruction, Citation Resources

Thanks! It says that I can search the meeting records, on microfilm, during library hours.

Quaker Records

This is helpful too. This shows that they do have the Wrightsborough & Deep Creek records. There are several other meetings involved with my research, but these are the 2 most important.

Quaker Meetings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point