U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM

273 posts, read 850,724 times

Advertisements

I'm going to jump in also. Most of the things to "Don't expect" in highcotton's post are most of the reasons my wife and I decided to move here. I personally grew up in a town of 100 people, moved to Columbus, Oh for school, then moved to Houston, Tx. While there are not nearly as many "things to do", there also isn't the population here to support it and I recognized that. I like the feeling of a smaller town, but still have the convenience of a city. I like that I don't spend two hours a day in traffic. I like I don't have to worry about rear-ending every wannabe rappers Bentley. As to the miserable failure of downtown, it's growing and it continues to grow despite the down economy. I agree with giving the op all aspects of the city, good and bad, but who cares if you're not going to see Ferrari's and Mclarren's every day. Go drive by the Ferrari or Lamborghini dealrships in Greensboro.

Dislike's of living in NC are the taxes; state income, personal property (you pay a yearly tax same as your house on your cars, boats, toys).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,443,017 times
Be sure to go to Bowman Gray Stadium in downtown Winston-Salem for the Saturday night races. You'll get a good feel for much of the areas' population.

In fact, The History Channel is running a special about Winston-Salem's Bowman Gray Stadium (called Madhouse) each Sunday night at 10:00 EST, 9:00 CST. I suggest the OP watch it tomorrow night at 9:00 to get a flavor for some of the local people around Winston-Salem. It's really funny...

Madhouse - History.com

Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
While there are a few nuggets of truth in High Cotton's posts, I feel like this poster comes across as a half-empty glass sort of person. The Bowman Gray Stadium reference is entertaining but there is a far different side of W-S that the OP is likely to see as a WFU grad student with a spouse who is a teacher. Smitty's Notes is one of the best web sites to get an overall flavor of social/cultural/volunteer opportunities for young (under 40) professionals in W-S.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
While there are a few nuggets of truth in High Cotton's posts, I feel like this poster comes across as a half-empty glass sort of person. The Bowman Gray Stadium reference is entertaining but there is a far different side of W-S that the OP is likely to see as a WFU grad student with a spouse who is a teacher. Smitty's Notes is one of the best web sites to get an overall flavor of social/cultural/volunteer opportunities for young (under 40) professionals in W-S.
Sure there is a different side, you're absolutely right. I did not mean to imply that the entire city is like how The History Channel portrays Winston-Salem. I, nor my family, are even remotely like that. However, there is a goodly amount of people in the area that is indeed like that... Like any city anywhere there is a percentage of the population that are professionals, which he and his wife will seek out.

That said, with the OP attending graduate school at WFU and his wife hopefully teaching school it is unlikely they will encounter much of that "side" unless his wife teaches school in one of the bad schools. My guess is that he'll be very busy 7 days a week for the first year or two during the school year...and will probably intern most of the summer. In other words, I doubt seriously they ever go to Bowman Gray Stadium for the Saturday night races!

By the way, I'm a glass half-full type of person. But there's no need painting a picture of W-S that is too grandeur.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM

302 posts, read 537,269 times
You gotta compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges. I think the request of the original poster was for what Winston-Salem has to offer, not for what it does not. It is a city of just under quarter million, compared to how many million in Dallas? Sure it doesn't have a zoo....nor does Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, or any other city in North Carolina. However, it is within close driving distance to the one zoo North Carolina does have, in Asheboro. I don't think racing at Bowman Gray Stadium is necessarily indicative of the majority of residents of Winston-Salem, nor does it paint the city as the epicenter of southern hickness. Charlotte as the most populated city in the state could claim that as one of it's selling points with Lowes Motor Speedway, and now the NASCAR Museum. Sure,
RJ Reynolds is not what it once was, but it has downsized and changed over the years just like all other companies that have basically gone global, and Winston-Salem is no longer a one or two horse town run by a handfull of plant owners or entrepreneurs like it was during the twenties and thirties. The ecomomy has diversified just as it has in other cities all over the state, and country.
There is plenty for young and old to do in Winston-Salem, if you have half a brain and an imagination. It does not cater to any age group. Winston-Salem is simply more laid back, and not as agressive as it should be in leadership and job recruitment, as well as tooting it's own horn as other cities do. The glass is only as full as you see it.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Sure there is a different side, you're absolutely right. I did not mean to imply that the entire city is like how The History Channel portrays Winston-Salem. I, nor my family, are even remotely like that. However, there is a goodly amount of people in the area that is indeed like that... Like any city anywhere there is a percentage of the population that are professionals, which he and his wife will seek out.

That said, with the OP attending graduate school at WFU and his wife hopefully teaching school it is unlikely they will encounter much of that "side" unless his wife teaches school in one of the bad schools. My guess is that he'll be very busy 7 days a week for the first year or two during the school year...and will probably intern most of the summer. In other words, I doubt seriously they ever go to Bowman Gray Stadium for the Saturday night races!

By the way, I'm a glass half-full type of person. But there's no need painting a picture of W-S that is too grandeur.

High Cotton, I 100% support and agree with your original detailed description of Winston-Salem. I feel it is accurate and not negative at all. Probably a 100 years ago W-S was a vibrant city in NC, but it feels a bit tired and run-down now. I think this is a fine place to make a pit stop for college or for career growth, but we hope to move on in a couple of years. We actually came for a teaching job and my husband is at one of the bad schools. I jokingly tell him he is in the trenches while I live in my little, isolated bubble......I am not miserable here, but definitely miss the 'grandeur' of other cities. You can make a good life here.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Let's see what Smitty's Notes has to say about Winston-Salem's tourist attractions:

Tourist attraction:
Winner: Old Salem
Runner Up: Reynolda House and Gardens
Honorable Mention: Downtown Arts District
Best Quote: There's just something about the Coffee Pot in Old Salem. I could hang out there forever.

This reminds me of that old song - Is That All There Is? The answer, unfortunately is - Yes. That really is all there is!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM

273 posts, read 850,724 times
Quote:
Let's see what Smitty's Notes has to say about Winston-Salem's tourist attractions:

Tourist attraction:
Winner: Old Salem
Runner Up: Reynolda House and Gardens
Honorable Mention: Downtown Arts District
Best Quote: There's just something about the Coffee Pot in Old Salem. I could hang out there forever.

This reminds me of that old song - Is That All There Is? The answer, unfortunately is - Yes. That really is all there is!
Yes that really is it. Have fun trolling.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Yes that really is it. Have fun trolling.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,177,860 times
Quote:
Also for the OP, you will not find people in any other state in the U.S. that is as proud of their state as Texans are.

I'm well aware of that.

It's one of the factors in wanting to leave.

And going to a much smaller city won't bother me at all. I've spent almost 30 years packed in with 6.5 million other people. Being somewhere I can breathe will be a huge relief. My wife and I are the type to be perfectly happy walking our dogs in the park for a couple hours, then coming home and reading a bit before watching a movie or two. When we go out, we usually go to dinner, a movie, maybe catch a concert if it is in town.

Really, if we need to do something exciting, we'll drive to D.C. and spend a few days, or something like that.

Besides, I highly doubt I will have much time for anything, being a first-year law student. To be honest, W-S wouldn't be my first choice. I'd prefer New England, but Wake is such a good school, I do enjoy the little bit of North Carolina I've seen, my wife likes it in NC, and Wake was also nice enough to bless me with a sizable scholarship.

So right now, a lot is pointing us in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point