U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,439,478 times

Advertisements

"I expect a tourism boost from this and it could help attract employers and new residents. It does build the name of the city and connects it with a popular sport. It is amazing how the biggest and best things to help attract people to the area are already here and often unnoticed.

If you are reading this from outside Winston-Salem and thinking of visiting, don't forget to look at the Winston Cup Museum on your visit. I also enjoy Old Salem."

WSTB Winston-Salem :: View topic - Madhouse on the History Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM

236 posts, read 490,673 times
Default Move to Winston-Salem

I currently live in Winston- Salem in zip code 27104. Which is a good area with good schools. Next year I will be moving to Charlotte. I need a place where I can further my career. This is a very nice city to live in. Many places close anywhere from 10pm-12am. Everything moves slow here except for the traffic. I think you will enjoy living here in Winston-Salem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I haven't accepted yet, still waiting on some other responses.

But it's an excellent school, well-respected, and they offered me a very generous scholarship.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM

12 posts, read 56,814 times
Quote:
My wife and I might be moving to Winston-Salem this summer, so that I can go back to school. We'll be moving from the Dallas area, and I just wanted to try and get a general idea of life in W-S.

Can we rent a house that is pet-friendly (we've got 2 dogs and a cat) with a fenced backyard? About how much? I'd like to stay under $1500 if possible.

I'll be at Wake Forest, so what are some good areas around there?

My wife is a teacher, elementary / middle school math and science, few years experience. Any thoughts on her job prospects?

What's life like in W-S? I'm looking forward to somewhere with real seasons (it was 77 degrees here today, utterly ridiculous!), and a lot less than 6.5 million people.

Is it pretty much like any bigger city with chain restaurants and strip malls, or is it a little more unique? Dallas has to be the king city of strip malls and chain restaurants and Walmarts, so somewhere with local business and shops and restaurants would be cool.

Educate me please!
Winston is a great place to live and raise kids, we moved here 5 years ago from SE. Florida, People are very friendly (its the south) No rush hour traffic. The population is about 220,000, the seasons are awesome and we have them, great color on the trees in the fall, winter is mild it may be 60 one day and 35 or 40 the next. We had the most snow since we have been here in December with about 5 inches an expect it again Friday but it's gone pretty fast, the town will be pretty quiet during the storm, spring is nice and summer can be hot or mild very low humidity and farmers sell produceon the side of the road, you can pick berries at certain places on the honor system by putting money in a jar!
Downtown winston is revitalized with summer concerts 2-3 nights a week, many art studios and galleries and great locally owned restaurants, yes we have the chains to. The west side of town is in my opinion the best to live west winston, Clemmons, Lewisville. Couple of hours from the mountains, 2-4 from the beach. Sunday is very quiet until about noon, this is the bible belt. People wave at neighbors and strangers say hello in the stores even if they dont know you, and if your at a traffic light it's considered rude to block on coming traffic at an intersection, and rude to honk your horn. Overall we love it. Welcome to the best kept secret in the south.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM

5,010 posts, read 13,171,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konakai View Post
winter is mild it may be 60 one day and 35 or 40 the next.

That's the only thing holding me back, really. I want a real winter.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Quote:
That's the only thing holding me back, really. I want a real winter.
"Real" winter - or as much of a real winter as is possible in the South - is less than a two-hour drive northwest in the Boone/Banner Elk area. You get the benefit of experiencing it when you want to, but not having to be in it when you don't. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM

5,010 posts, read 13,171,292 times
Well, we are coming up next week!

We are going up to Virginia on Thursday for a bit, but will be back later on that day, and then have a thing at Wake for Friday morning but free that afternoon and evening.

Any thoughts on what we should do?

Also, is the Hanes Mall area decent to stay in?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:

We are going up to Virginia on Thursday for a bit, but will be back later on that day, and then have a thing at Wake for Friday morning but free that afternoon and evening.

Yes, the best place for you to stay is in the Hanes Mall area. There are numerous motels and restaurants, along with the mall itself, in that immediate area. WFU is just 5-6 miles up Silas Creek Pkwy from where you will be staying.

Have a good trip, enjoy your stay and I wish you well with your "thing" at WFU.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
"Real" winter - or as much of a real winter as is possible in the South - is less than a two-hour drive northwest in the Boone/Banner Elk area. You get the benefit of experiencing it when you want to, but not having to be in it when you don't. To me, it's the best of both worlds.
Ironically, a lot of NC is getting a major dose of "real winter" this weekend, including the Triad.

Enjoy your visit next week!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Since no one local living in W-S replied to your query about things for you to do while in W-S, I will reply from here in the Dallas Metro area where you are.

Of course one of the first things you'll probably do once in Winston-Salem is to locate WFU. If you are staying around Hanes Mall WFU will only be five minutes away. You can visit Reynolda Gardens, which is on the corner of Silas Creek Pkwy and Reynolda Rd, which happens to be the main entrance to WFU. You can also visit Historic Bethabara Park, which is only a few miles away to the north. Downtown W-S is not far away from WFU to the southeast, which you will want to visit. While downtown you should visit Old Salem, which is just a mile or so south. About ten minutes from where you'll be staying, southwest down Hwy 158 (Stratford Rd) is Clemmons, where you should visit Tanglewood Park (http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Tanglewood/ - broken link).

Hopefully this will help you!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM

201 posts, read 519,148 times
Quote:

I have lived in NC all of my life. I despise the Bowman Gray races!!! Nascar races are a different story!

Anyway, I love NC and I say it with pride. We don't have many hotels but yes the Hanes Mall area is probably your best bet, 2nd would be the Wingate downtown. You MUST visit Hanes Mall, it is one of the largest malls in the Southeast.

All of the places HighCotton mentioned are great if you like tours and want to learn about our history. If you are looking to visit neighborhoods for possible housing options, let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Yes, our winters are short but this one has proven to be unique with all the cold temps and snow. As a matter of fact, watch our forecast closely as they are calling for more wintry stuff near the end of the week. Which means many of the places mentioned above may be closed! We are ill equipped to handle this amount of snow so you will find the town almost shuts down with bad weather!

Have a safe trip and enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point