U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 4,351,767 times
Default Fence installation- rules/regulations

Am in Davidson County and want to install a perimeter fence around my property to keep in/out animals.

Using chicken wire or the welded wire (probably this one for asthetics)...just something really cheap and a do-it-yourself project.

Surveyor coming next week to mark my lines but what are the rules/regulations for fencing? How far back from my line? How far from the road?

I've tried to research laws/rules/regs/ordinances but can't come up with anything. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM

101 posts, read 195,624 times
Contact someone at the county level, they might be able to help you out. I live in Davidson County, too, and it doesn't seem like there are too many rules here regarding fences (or anything else) unless you live in a subdivision or a more "upscale" development with a HOA.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

98 posts, read 196,550 times
There generally is very little regulations to fencing. I typical counsel clients to leave two feet between the fence and the property line for maintenance issues (if it is right on the line there is no way of maintaining the front without trespassing on the neighbors property). I did look briefly at the county bylaws and saw no regulations. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I didn't see them. Also beware of HOA rules as those tend to really clarify and regulate fences.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,351,767 times
Just an update- got an email from the county -
If your property is located in Davidson County’s jurisdiction and not one of the Municipalities in Davidson County a permit is not require to build or repair a fence. You may locate the fence anywhere on your property that you wish. We do however regulate the height of fencing in the residential areas of the county. The Davidson County Zoning Ordinance limits the height of fencing to 5 feet in the front yard and 6 feet in the side and rear yards. The Zoning Ordinance does not regulate the style of fence you wish to build.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 AM

That's what I figured. I put in a fence a couple of years ago (without a permit), between my house and a building I have out back, so I could have a place to let out my dogs in the a.m. or at night without worrying about them taking off after a critter or something. I bought pressure treated posts, had my neighbor drill post holes with their tractor and a post-hole digger attachment, then I took fencing and stretched it from post to post and pounded fencing staples into the posts to hold it. It's given me a lot of peace of mind, and didn't cost very much--for about 250' of fencing total it cost around $200, including paying my neighbor for digging the post holes.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM

525 posts, read 1,348,600 times
Hopefully you aren't in a subdivision with an HOA telling you what to put up...

Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Yourhometriad,
If you mean me, no I'm not in a subdivision w/a HOA telling me anything, and frankly wouldn't want to be!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 10,274 times
I am considering a fence installation and I have clear property lines. My question is what is the distance from the hwy center line is required in installing a fence in Davidson County.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM

21,779 posts, read 37,957,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamphillip View Post
I am considering a fence installation and I have clear property lines. My question is what is the distance from the hwy center line is required in installing a fence in Davidson County.
I would contact Davidson County Zoning at 242-2220 for what the distance of the road right away and also they could direct you in who to contact in surveying any buried, gas or cable lines.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 10,274 times
Default To sunny kayak

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point