U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 AM

42 posts, read 97,516 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I've made some appointments to see some townhomes and single family homes in the West Salem, Old Salem area. It's a start! I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM

34 posts, read 59,561 times
BPC,

Trust me you are lucky to be moving to WS. It is hands down the best place I have lived. We lived in the West End Highlands and loved it! I recommend specifically the west end or the west end highlands. From either you can walk to Downtown or 5 points where there is a whole foods. Also you can walk along runnymeade which is just about the prettiest street ever. From there it is about 6 miles(along a greenway) to Salem Lake which does have awesome trails as well as the normal trip around the lake. It is a great city to ride bikes around in. If you live in the west end you can also play in Hanes park if needed. The YMCA is right there as well. Also you will be right next to Mock Orange Bikes which is a great bike shop that does rides(MTB & Road) on multiple week nights. They do rides out to Pilot MTN and Hanging rock while not "Rocky Mountain High" they are beautiful just the same.

Finally check out these things: WFU football and basketball, The Mellow Mushroom, Recreation Billards, The opera house, 1st street, burke street pizza, Bowman Gray Stadium on a Summer Saturday night!, mi pueblo, sakura, mary's of course, and krankies coffee. All of the churches are very nice as well.

Finally if you love MTB then go to Scott Kerr Dam in Wilkesboro!

Good Luck,

-Chris-

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 32,303 times
West End and Ardmore are both nice ares to live. Ardmore feels a little nicer and is suburbia, and West End is a little more spread out and has Hanes Park.

A friend of mine just left his condo on 4th and Broad St., which are ok places but awesome that they're a block from downtown. The other condos going up closer to Trade St. I haven't been into, but are more expensive.

NCSA and Old Salem are very close to each other, and you can use 1st Street as that proverbial "railroad tracks." One side is just fine, the other not so much. New condos nearby and the YWCA they just built there is awesome.

4th Street and Trade St. are your places to hang out at in Winston, which is certainly a rough city to live in if you're single, as there's not always a ton to do beyond going to the bar. I can't emphasize enough the horribleness of Winston-Salem for the singles' crowd if you care about that. Winston has Wake Forest, but it's deceptive to call it a college town, since that university is small, not downtown and the students are somewhat cloistered. Downtown is also more for a destination and not a place to just walk around and see what's going on. Even on Friday and Saturday, downtown streets and sidewalks are just about empty, which is frustrating.

Live Music--head to The Garage, a dive bar with a very friendly, bohemian crowd.
Dive Bars--Silver Moon (my favourite place) and Elliott's Revue, though both have been remodeled recently and are nicer.
Yuppie Bars--Finnegan's Wake (great hangout before 10 pm, then crowded with bad service afterward), Foothills Brewery, and Noma (great food, expensive drinks, professional-type crowd). Not that I hate going in these places, but they're the biggest bars in town and attract that yuppie/college student crowd.
Best Late-Night Snack--Burke St. Pizza is arguably the best NY-style pizza in town. The neighbouring Burke St. Pub is where the NCSA and Wake Forest kids go to hook up. Otherwise, there's a build-your-own-burrito place across the street from Hutch and Harris on 4th Street that is awesome.
Dancing--The 411 is a Salsa club without that "club" feel. You can dance with anyone there with no message behind it other than "I like to dance."

I also recommend Single Brothers bar, small and a little higher-end, but really nice. Opera House plays good (not live) music and attracts a lot of Wake Forest kids, and has the strongest pours in town, though Carlisle's is close. Recreation Billiards attracts a young crowd, although they opened their basement, which now has an awesome beer selection. 6th and Vine has live music sometimes, awesome food, and is a nice-looking place.

oh, and Krankie's Coffee is by FAR the best coffee shop in town (both for atmosphere and quality of the coffee), turning into a music/movie venue at night.

lot of words, probably didn't answer a single one of your questions

Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 18,145 times
Hubby relocating to NC for work in Winston Salem off Aureole St.. Looking for a nice low crime area close to his work. Looking to rent a condo/townhome or even rent to own a 2 bdrm home. Relocation will be around April 26th to May 7th!

Any help would be great. Coming from Northern Kentucky area.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,889 times
Sorry to disagree with game05 but I have to on the "wrong side of the tracks" assessment of places to live in Winston Salem. West Salem, Washington park and Sunnyside are all south of First St and are vibrant neighborhoods, with house prices ranging from the $60k's to over a million. These are the neighborhoods that many young people are staking a claim in and finding like-minded neighbors. I know you are looking to rent, not buy, but don't rule out some of the coolest neighborhoods in town as there are plenty of good rentals in these areas as well..

Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 AM

44 posts, read 127,573 times
downtown isnt the only part of town worth living in.

you have lots of options in WS.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM

22 posts, read 46,927 times
Default Ret. USAF 100% DAV heading south/staying east...NC?~!

Jumping in here and getting a good bit of understanding. Covering all the forums about a year ago and now again. Getting close to a move, before our next winter here in Rochester NY area.
Single, female USAF Retiree, 100% DAV - Kids are grown but I watch out for my mother who lives in low income senior housing and I am at a constant between 36-38K but entirely debt free, i.e. if I had an RV my only expense would be gas, food, and a place to park it - lol. So my ret.$ gets its full punch and I also have never bought a home so I have benefit of 1st time & VA buying program benefits, and also get discounts on home taxes.

That being said, here is my goal:
An acre-ish (2-3 if possible) of land, and a house for 100K or less, in an area with lots of nature (trees, streams, rivers, lakes, state parks, etc.), within 40ish min max of a good VA Med Ctr (Salisbury?) and closer to a civilian hospital for my mom, good choice of nondenominational churches within 20 min-ish, but most important is the (1)smaller town (activities and friendly)(N. Wilkesboro?) and (2)countryside and land the house is on.

I can and have lived at every spectrum from nothing to "everything." The area, land & neighbors are vastly more important to me than the house and all it has. I am able to make it into what I want as I go and I love that. Don't get me wrong, not talking about sacrificing fundamental soundness of the house and basics, must be liveable not a fixer upper in terms of foundation, structure, plumbing, elec. etc. Just don't require, fancy materials, skylights, bay windows, etc. I love the country but to be within about 30 min. of a good city definitely not more than 45 min. Also need an area with accessibility to a selection of low-income senior apts. for my mother who wants to keep her own place. Maybe a stretch of smaller towns relatively close together. Seems the larger cities are really not too far from nearly everywhere...

I know I am way at the other end of the spectrum than this forum has addressed but here in Rochester they always say houses are 150-250K which makes me laugh, I understand why, but there is a whole range of houses that are perfectly fine for 50-100K which may need some work but nothing that would take you out of range even if you had to replace something the heating syst. say, and the other basics are fine plus they have land with them because they are a bit out of town. Of course, I don't want ghetto or slum but everywhere I've ever lived had this group of houses - Really appreciate input, this is a huge deal for me. My first owned house ever and I've worked hard to get debt free, I just know there is something just right down there somewhere... Advice anyone?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow1958 View Post
That being said, here is my goal:
An acre-ish (2-3 if possible) of land, and a house for 100K or less, in an area with lots of nature (trees, streams, rivers, lakes, state parks, etc.), within 40ish min max of a good VA Med Ctr (Salisbury?) and closer to a civilian hospital for my mom, good choice of nondenominational churches within 20 min-ish, but most important is the (1)smaller town (activities and friendly)(N. Wilkesboro?) and (2)countryside and land the house is on.
... Advice anyone?
Why not just start with Salisbury, NC itself? It has many of the things you are looking for already. For example, try Realtor.com, and there are several houses on more than 2 acres for under $100K. I will leave it to you to assess their soundness. However, I think you will find that North Carolina's housing market is not quite as depressed as Rochester, NY. That is, the houses under $70K are likely to be foreclosures, mobile homes or very run-down.

Salisbury is near High Rock Lake and Badin Lake and the Uwharrie National Forest. IMO, they are among the nicest areas of the state (other than the far western mountains). Check the maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/iioAq

There is at least one senior housing complex in Salisbury: Fleming Heights Apartments. I think that New York State is probably more generous with senior housing, so I don't think you should expect a "selection" of options for your mother. However, I think you can do the research yourself on other towns where she might find a place, for example with this resource from US HUD: http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/c...ates/nczip.cfm In addition, the local Craigslist advertises senior housing rentals in Statesville, Morganton, Gastonia, etc: http://hickory.craigslist.org/search..._type=&excats= The Statesville place looks nice, and it about 30 minutes from the VA hospital in Salisbury. Perhaps you should place a priority on finding a place for your mother, then look for a place for yourself.

Novant Health runs the general hospital in Salisbury: https://plus.google.com/100055263555...M4SBtATr74C4CA

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-24-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,743,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSF View Post
Recreation Billards
did you go there before the makeover?! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point