U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 35,857 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Minnesota to the Greensboro area in the very near future. (My boss wants me there yesterday!) I looked at a home in McLeansville and loved it. My only concern is that almost every other house in the neighborhood is for sale. The sub-division seems to go by two different names: Whitehurst Village and Longmorn Village. I believe the homes were built by DR Horton. Does anyone know if there are issues with these homes causing the owners to get out? Or are they simply trying to make a quick profit?

By the way, anyone want to buy a house in Minnesota?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 PM

902 posts, read 3,217,024 times
There has been a building boom in and around the McLeansville area for the last 3-5 years. Might this be what you're referring to?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 35,857 times
These homes were built 7 years ago. I figured that there were three possible reasons for all of the homes for sale:

1. Due to the housing boom, they are selling for a good profit.

2. Some of the owners may have been caught in the mortgage game where they had low payments for the first couple of years and now are in pre-foreclosure or foreclosure.

3. Something is wrong with these homes, and everyone is trying to get out.

Of course, I'm hoping it's number 1, but I want to be sure before I make an offer.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM

902 posts, read 3,217,024 times
I'm guessing #1 is the likely reason too... seems a bit long for #2 (most ARM's I've seen only go up to 5 years). And #3 - are they by a certain contractor? I do know of some of the bigger contractors... what else do you know of the properties? Can you do a search on the county tax dept site?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,236 times
I'd have to disagree with your hopes. I was once a D.R. Horton home owner in the subdevelopment called Wood Creek. It's located right behind Replacements Ltd. Fortunately, I was able to sell my home (barely, barely breaking even) w/o foreclosure catching me. I however know of alot of people in that subdevelopment that are either letting the banks foreclose on them because D.R. Horton hasn't kept up their end of the agreement with the purchase of their home. There are alot of things that I say, but I don't want to seem as if I'm bashing D.R. Horton. I'll just say, I've had atleast 4 friends that have purchased a home since I bought my home from D.R. Horton and I have referred them ALL to another company.
D.R. Horton has this loan officer that relocated from Florida- he is the WORST person that I have ever dealt with (not returning calls, taking his time to do his work, etc.) and they have a Warranty Personnel named Lee-he's ALWAYS either sick or on vacation when you need something done to your home because it's still under warranty! D.R. Horton has 2 great employees. 1- her name was Nikki T. She was the ONLY reason I bought my home because she went well above her duties. Unfortunately, D.R. Horton let her go because she addressed her concerns of how they treat the home owners! What a pity!! The other is the Head Inspector named Jimmy-what a lovely fellow and he's ALWAYS willing to stop whatever he's doing to look into your issue (or get the right company out to your home that is SUPPOSED to fix your issue).
I'd rather buy from Kavanaugh than D.R. Horton again...as a matter of fact...I DID & so did the 4 friends I mentioned!
D.R. Horton doesn't live up to their word and that's one of the MAIN reasons people are putting their homes up for sale that D.R. Horton makes or just letting their home be foreclosed on...JUST TO GET AWAY FROM D.R. HORTON! Look into Stoney Creek if you're looking...now they know how to fulfill their agreements!

Last edited by stillsearching80; 03-10-2008 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Additions

Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM

52 posts, read 170,589 times
ok...to sum it all up. D.R. Horton sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 81,395 times
I wanted to stick up for DR Horton. I bought a DR Horton home in 2005 and just recently sold it due to a divorce and my house was wonderful. I do think it depends on who you get, but I don't think it is fair to say that the company as a whole is horrible. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 136,545 times
For another perspective, we just bought a home in McLeansville in the Chandler Oaks subdivision (Eastwood homes), which connects to the subdivision by DR Horton. From what I have heard there isn't an issue with the area, just a problem with those who purchased more home than they could afford a few years ago when they approved anyone and everyone for way too much.

We really like the area so far, Alamance Crossing is great shopping just down the road and we drive through the adjoining neighborhoods getting to ours all the time and it's always quiet. Great location for commuting too. We had excellent luck with Eastwood Homes by the way, we got a great deal on an inventory home there if you need an immediate move in home.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM

61 posts, read 219,359 times
There is also some new houses over toward Whitsett/Gibsonville. Brightwood Farms is really nice (K. Hovnanian).

Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM

123 posts, read 483,375 times
D.R has a bad name in TX as well. A buddy of mine went through a horrible ordeal getting them to fix his roof. Apparently the rafters weren't sized correctly and after only two years, the roof started to sag. They also completely covered his recessed lights with insulation. I think the code say's something about insulation not being within 6 inches of the light, or something to that effect. Looks like they're doing just as well in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point