Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,445,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Well beyond city employment, public schools, and two hospitals.....
I must have missed the headlines - that large corporations can't move their headquarters to Winston-Salem fast enough...that educated people are moving into W-S by the droves because the demand is so high. Ummm, how could I have missed such news.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any decent news about business in Winston-Salem for a long, long, long time. Hell, even Winston-Salem Business hasn't updated their website in 2 1/2 years! By the way, how's that double-digit unemployment rate working out for everyone?

Last edited by highcotton; 01-31-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 AM

201 posts, read 591,600 times
highcotton, why do you insist on souring every thread about W/S??? If you live here, I hope you run for "higher" ground soon. If you don't, then go stick your "high" nose somewhere else.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
highcotton, why do you insist on souring every thread about W/S??? If you live here, I hope you run for "higher" ground soon. If you don't, then go stick your "high" nose somewhere else.
You may think what I say is "souring" W-S, but I'm giving my honest opinion. Apparently you have a problem with that.

It doesn't do anyone any good to portray W-S as something it's not. That would be disingenuous, especially for someone who is attempting to obtain fair and accurate information. Maybe you think it's proper to tout W-S in a way that fails to tell the truth. Sometimes what is not said can be more important than what is said...

For your information I lived in W-S for decades and spent a lot of time in Charlotte so I know both cities very well. My primary residence is Dallas, but also own property in NC as well as some other states.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
These are based or headquartered in W-S:
BB&T (financial)
Budd Group (janatorial, landscaping & security)
RJR (tobacco product manufacturer)
Krispy Kreme (doughnuts, retail stores)
Wake Forest University (university)
Lowes Foods (groceries, foods, distribution, retail stores)
Forsyth Tech (community & technical school)
HanesBrands (apparel/underwear manufacturer)

These are not headquartered in W-S:
GMAC's headquarters in located in Detroit, MI
Pepsico's headquarters in located in Purchase, NY
USAirways' headquarters is located in Tempe, AZ
AON's headquarters is located in Chicago, IL
Wachovia was acquired by Wells Fargo with its west coast headquarters located in San Francisco, CA and east coast headquarters located in Charlotte, NC

"There are more, 80% of these are just based in Winston-Salem." Really!
If I may interrupt this arm westling for a minute...I would like to simply point out that "headquartered" doesn't mean diddly. Here in CT, a small state of 3 million people we are a "corporate powerhouse" and have an insane amount of multi-millions/billion dollar companies, but that doesn't mean all of United Technologies, Aetna, The Hartford, UBS, GE, etc etc "employees" work here.

Quite the contrary actually, most of them have larger digs outside of the state, and what stays behind here are the big dollar executives and what THAT has caused is a HUGE gap between the haves and have nots with very little middle class. You can literally go a few blocks and leave public housing and get into million dollar homes.

All I'm saying is, "headquarters" does always mean much of anything.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
You may think what I say is "souring" W-S, but I'm giving my honest opinion. Apparently you have a problem with that.

It doesn't do anyone any good to portray W-S as something it's not. That would be disingenuous, especially for someone who is attempting to obtain fair and accurate information. Maybe you think it's proper to tout W-S in a way that fails to tell the truth. Sometimes what is not said can be more important than what is said...

For your information I lived in W-S for decades and spent a lot of time in Charlotte so I know both cities very well. My primary residence is Dallas, but also own property in NC as well as some other states.
I don't have a problem with someone pointing out pros and cons or "opinions" if you will. But you do seem to go on and on. What may seem to be your "truth" is simply your "opinion" and once stated you should be done. Maybe I am the only one who found offense? If so, I do apologize.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM

322 posts, read 663,000 times
If I may, for the final time on this matter, say that Winston-Salem is a beautiful city with loads to offer anyone who has half an imagination or who puts forth any effort at all to get out and find something in which to get involved. It is certainly not the virtual labour-class wasteland highcotton attempts to paint it, irregardless of how fast anybody is moving there, or regardless of whether or not the people are "educated." It might be interesting, yet pointless reading, to anyone who cares, to compare Winston-Salem to Dallas, Texas in numbers of people per 100 who have a high school diploma, or a college degree for that matter. I do not think that's going to determine whether or not someone moves somewhere.
It is baffling that if you are so overwhelmed by the opportunities or array of activities available to you, say in Dallas, Texas, that you yet have enough time to sit online and visit another city's forum, which you undoubtedly disgust, to gloat and spew negative overtones with more reasons not to move there than good reasons to move there. Opinion or no, it's best to compare apples to apples.
And to even discourage an aspiring law student in another thread with questions about his choice of moving to Winston-Salem by degrading Wake Forests' reputation as "second tier." Only when he has questions about what neighborhoods are best suited for he and his family. In my last reading, Wake
Forest currently ranks 28th in US News & World Report's rankings of national universities, tied with UNC. That's 40 notches above the only ranked school in Dallas, Texas for anyone who likes to compare cities of 230,000 to 1.3 million people.
But I'm not here to talk about Dallas, Texas. Been there, done that...wouldn't live there...it's too hot, dry, and flat. Winston-Salem is not. It has gently rolling topography that is pleasing. Regardless of anyones comparisons on the number of educated individuals, whether or not they might be a redneck or worker-class if they've seen a Saturday night race at Bowman Gray, or what the unemployment rate is, there is plenty to do, and to inspire in Winston-Salem. There is good here, bad there, crime exists in pockets as it does any place, and life goes on. The glass is half full! And jobs are as tight in Winston-Salem right now as they are anywhere in the country, even here in Charlotte. Employers have tightened their belts everywhere, so noone is exclusive.
I'm not here trying to portray Winston-Salem as something it's not, but it is unfair to berate undeservingly just because you may have had a bad experience or a bad taste for some unknown reason. That's your problem. Most of us who give two hoots have lived in other places too. I have learned that you can't blame your happiness, or lack thereof, on another time or place. Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 AM

well put, wsnc62!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
well put, wsnc62!!!!!
amen!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 387,776 times
I love Winston-Salem and think this city has a lot going for it. I have seen it change tremendously over the past 10 years. HighCotton comments are a little on the nut side if you ask me. I agree with wsnc62 comment above.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM

The original poster asked this question; "Since most everyone talks about moving to Charlotte I am wondering what the difference is between the two (the other city being Winston-Salem)?

I suggest that you try to help this person and answer her question (if you really can) by comparing the two cities, keeping in mind that she has lived in Charlotte and therefore already knows what Charlotte offers. Thus far not much has been offered that compares the two cities, and more importantly nothing has been offered that makes W-S stand out as a more desirable place to live. Why is that?

There are a number of things you people can offer to help answer her question. Why don't you people compare the two cities with personal knowledge and factual data about employment opportunities, businesses, corporate headquarters, types of business, income opportunities, cost of living, population increase, public and private schools, public transportation, airports, professional sports, entertainment and activities, parks, shopping, dining, downtown city life, lifestyle and sophistication, city government, arts, crime, climate, traffic, roads, national recognition and reputation, politics, etc., etc., etc.

All some of you want to do is complain. Have you given any thought to answering the original person's question? Why don't you act like you've been asked by the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce and Winston-Salem Business to compare the two cities and answer this person's question? Let's see if the people here complaining can do an effective job of comparing the two cities that makes W-S a more desirable place to live. I'll be waiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point