U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,107,911 times

Advertisements

^ Fair enough, I'll give you some comparisons (I have lived in both Charlotte and Winston-Salem). Disclaimer: The following is mostly based on my own personal opinions and experiences, so it may not mean squat to you.

- Charlotte is a lot bigger, and more spread out than Winston-Salem. For me, this is a big win for Winston. In Charlotte you can pretty much automatically subtract an hour (or more) from each day for dealing with traffic and distance. That's an hour you could be spending with your family, or doing hobbies, or getting more work done, or whatever else you'd prefer to be doing besides driving around. Same is true for trips to the grocery store, or the mall, or the movies, or wherever else you may need to go.

- Winston-Salem has much more historic charm than Charlotte. It has an identity, whereas (to me) Charlotte does not. It's like Charlotte always wanted to become the next Atlanta, as opposed to being comfortable with what it is.

- The Arts are more prominent in Winston-Salem (relative to other things).

- Winston-Salem doesn't have major professional sports teams, with their ridiculously high ticket prices, half-empty arenas, and thug-like "role models". We do have great sports competitions here though, if you're truly a sports fan. Things like ACC sports, Davis Cup tennis, and minor league baseball.

- I find the people of Winston-Salem to be friendlier and less pretentious overall than Charlotte people. Sort of the "old money" vs. "new money" thing. We know Winston-Salem is a great place to live, and we don't have an overwhelming and obnoxious need to justify its worth to anyone else.

Hope this helps answer the OP's question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,107,911 times
[note to the OP, and other normal people]

As you know, Charlotte is not a bad place to live. I enjoyed my time there, and I admit my prior post is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, yet it does ring true for me. Thing is, it's all a matter of your personal situation. For me, I prefer Winston but I could easily live in Charlotte again and not mind at all. Both cities have their pros and cons, and trying to argue that one is "better" is pointless. Charlotte is a more fast lane, bigger city kind of place. Winston-Salem is a bit slower, but offers excellent quality of life. No need to praise one at the expense of the other, as I believe most could call themselves lucky to live in either place.

[/note]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point