U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

30 posts, read 89,672 times

Advertisements

I am married and we have 3 children ages 10, 9, and 5. I am looking for a very family oriented area. I have lived in Charlotte before and loved it but am considering Winston-Salem since it is a little closer to family, still a couple hours away but an hour closer. Since most everyone talks about moving to Charlotte I am wondering what the difference is between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM

109 posts, read 351,326 times
The difference is Charlotte is a bigger city of 700,000 compared to Winston-Salem's 230,000. It all depends on what you are looking for. The Triad (Greesnboro, High Point and Winston-Salem) area combined are about the size of Charlotte. Charlotte has more shopping, dining, entertainment, than the Triad and real estate is a bit more pricy. Winston-Salem is a nice mid-size city that caters to families. If you were single, I would say No to Winston-Salem.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,875,450 times
Charlotte vs. Winston. That's a tough call. Like a previous poster, If I were single with no kids I would choose Charlotte without hesitation. The smaller atmosphere of Winston maybe better for you, though. The issue is how important is it to be a little closer to family? Would you like to see them often? Is their support necessary or do you just want to socialize with them more? It seems like, in either city, your family is not geographically close. I would choose Charlotte over Wintson if I were you because of greater amount of shopping and culture. But you can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I would choose Charlotte over Wintson if I were you because of greater amount of shopping and culture.

More shopping, yes. More culture? No way.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 AM

109 posts, read 351,326 times
I would not think that Charlotte was much on the culture scale either. Winston-Salem has way more culture than Charlotte anyday.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
I would not think that Charlotte was much on the culture scale either. Winston-Salem has way more culture than Charlotte anyday.
What "culture" are you talking about?

If you are referring to society culture (inherited ideas, beliefs, attitudes, values, feelings, behaviour and knowledge, which constitute the shared bases of social action) then it is my opinion that Winston-Salem's culture is extremely narrow compared with Charlotte. A wider and more diverse sociology culture in Charlotte is the result of much higher population growth with people moving into the area from other parts of the country.

If you are referring to fine arts and art terms (artistic, social pursuits, expression, valued tastes, the arts, manners, dress, etc.) then it is my opinion that Winston-Salem doesn't compare at all to that of Charlotte. Charlotte is headquarters to a healthy number of corporations and much of the growth of the city has been due to the financial sector and financial industry support services the city has been able to build over the years. Unlike Winston-Salem, the thousands of employees and their families employed by these major Charlotte companies naturally have a higher culture standard and are more involved in defining the city's overall culture to a much higher level than that of Winston-Salem.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM

112 posts, read 253,644 times
Winston Salem is a great place to raise a family. Compared to Charlotte, i like the smaller size, more genteel pace, and easier commute (almost no traffic in W-S).

Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Unlike Winston-Salem, the thousands of employees and their families employed by these major Charlotte companies naturally have a higher culture standard and are more involved in defining the city's overall culture to a much higher level than that of Winston-Salem.
"naturally", eh? Yep, all those trucking companies, waste management firms, and grocery store chains employ a lot of "cultured" people, for sure.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
"naturally", eh? Yep, all those trucking companies, waste management firms, and grocery store chains employ a lot of "cultured" people, for sure.
Yes, naturally!

Here's Charlotte's business profile (I'll let you provide Winston-Salem's business profile for comparison!)

Here's the full list of Charlotte's 957 Million Dollar Plus Corporations (I'll let you provide Winston-Salem's list for comparison!)

Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM

I'll help you with the website for: Winston-Salem's Chamber of Commerce

I'll help you with the website for: Winston-Salem Business (http://www.wsbusinessinc.com/whoshere/employers.html - broken link)

By the way, you'll notice that Winston-Salem Business was last updated way back June, 2007. Ummm, maybe someone might want to tell Bob Leak that's 2 1/2 years ago! Oh, also remind him that Dell decided to leave W-S.

Minus the two hospitals, the public school system and the W-S city government - the handful of major employers that Winston-Salem has remaining are very limited with most jobs being for uneducated, labor-type employees.

Last edited by highcotton; 01-29-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point