U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM

29 posts, read 82,491 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this neighborhood, in terms of safety, home appreciation values, and the peck elementary school?

I understand that there are plans to revitalize this neighborhood because of its years of deoterioration but I want to hear from opinions of actual people. All information would be appreciated....

thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:54 PM

902 posts, read 3,216,854 times
Be VERY careful about Glenwood! I have heard of attempts to "revitalize" for years. A large portion of the area is transient rental properties; most streets are safe enough during the day, but after dark is another story.

I would say there is not much appreciation to be had in housing value; most "value" comes from rent profits. The neighborhood is bordered by very ethnic businesses, the coliseum, and is very close to UNCG.. a rather large college campus. For the most part, the college is fine, and a quite a few students rent in the Glenwood neighborhood simply for the nearness. But a lot of landlords take advantage of the ethnic and college population, IMHO.

As far as the school goes, Greensboro is not known for real "inner city" schools, but if it were, this would probably be one of them. I think you can find the ethnic/racial mix on any site that lists statistics. As far as I know, the problem is not so much in the elementary schools, but in the middle and high schools they feed into.

Personally, I think your money can be better spent elsewhere.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
Glenwood isn't known for its safety, that's for sure. There's a lot of crime. Including drugs. The Church of Christ on Coliseum Blvd. used to be a Pentecostal church (of which I was a member) and we had people come in and steal from us (including my purse once) during church services and church parties.

About a month ago, I saw a dead body in the grass next to an Asian store on Coliseum (near Florida St.).

And there was some kind of shooting in the shopping center on Freeman Mill Rd. across from the projects.

No, I definitely would not live in that area.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
As these guys have already said, I'd stay away from that area. I used to deliver pizzas while in College at UNCG (mid 90s) and I always feared for my life delivering to Glenwood area at night. It gets very shady at night with sketchy people walking around. Sounds like it hasn't changed at all in the past 10 to 12 years as a friend of mine got robbed there last year.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 AM

29 posts, read 82,491 times
thanks for the responses. I am not completely turned off by Glenwood as I grew up in an urban area here in NJ and crime is not completely foreign to me. Also, part of what I want to do with my life is dedicate it to the revitalizing of "troubled societies" whether it be through couseling(psychology is my major),recreation, or business proposal,so this may not be so bad for me. I know Glenwood has been trying to repair itself and a part of me thinks that it will happen and I have interest in being a part of it. And when if it does, I think values will dramatically increase, especially if it becomes a historic neighborhood... But I will consider other affordable areas also....

Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,762 times
Thumbs up Glenwood Area

I used to live on Lexinton as a UNCG student. True - I didn't do much walking around in my neighborhood at night. It felt a little scary. I was on Lexington Avenue near Lee Street so I wasn't in the thick of the crime. I was renting from a very fabulous man whose vision was to revitalize his area and make it an artists haven. I haven't heard from him in a long time but when I left he had about 8 homes in the area purchased and undergoing restoration.

I'm looking into buying a duplex on this very street now and I plan to see it through a complete restoration. This neighborhood carries an interesting history. There is no better way to get a neighborhood back on its feet then to have compassionate people buying in that area and committing to keeping it clean and safe.

I'm pro Glenwood and hope for all the best for this area. Its super convenient for students being so close to the campus - and some of the homes are suprisingly beautiful and deserve restoration.

Yay!
Bootsy

Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 19,817 times
Thumbs up News-record article

Hello outtaNJ,
I know this response is a little behind, but I think it's worth posting.
There was an article in the Greensboro News-Record in April called The
green, green grass of Glenwood you may be interested in reading. It gives a more positive outlook for Glenwood from those who have lived there most of their lives. Here is an excerpt from the newspaper archives. You must register and pay for the entire article. Good Luck in one of the first self-contained and charming neighborhoods. You will definitely be an asset to those who are trying so hard to revitalize it.

10. Date: April 15, 2007 | Page D1
THE GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF
GLENWOOD
Byline: TINA FIRESHEETS
Martha Bailiff Bailiff serves as the unofficial secretary and treasurer of the Glenwood Breakfast Club.

The group meets monthly at J&S Cafeteria near Guilford College. They donate money for cards, stamps and memorials for those who are sick or die.

In Bailiff's time, Glenwood was such a tight-knit community that friendships and romances that began in childhood lasted a lifetime. Bailiff, 79, married Bryant Bailiff, "the boy across the...
Complete article | Words: 2757

Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 100,423 times
Been here 52 yrs. I remember when Glenwood was a very respectible neighborhood, full of very good people. It isn't that way anymore! I would stay away from that area. Trust me, you don't want to go there! It's really sad what it's become!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM

627 posts, read 1,863,212 times
outtaNJ you are not going to see any appreciation in Glenwood. I really think it has gotten worse in the last couple of years. It seemed about 5 years ago it was improving a bit, people rehabbing properties and selling to 1st time home buyers. I was over in that area a month ago and certain streets looked just slummy. Trash in the yards, five cars parked in the yard, couches in the yard, houses falling to pieces. That neighborhood is never going to improve until homeowners outnumber rental property. There are a lot of better, affordable neighborhoods in greensboro to look into IMHO.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,125 times
Default Glenwood is Great!

Dear Outta NJ,

I have lived in Glenwood for almost 5 years and I love it. My husband & I were able to buy a beautiful 1920's bungalow for a very affordable price. We wanted a traditional neighborhood close to downtown and UNCG. It is true that we do have some problems with crime, absentee landlords and the like. But I also know that the perception that some people have of the dangers are much worse than the reality. Many of the established neighborhoods & historic districts in Gso that are so popular now had the very same problems in the not-so-distant past.

The efforts to revitalize this area have been steady for years and we are gaining momentum now. The Greater Glenwood Neighborhood Association is currently working with The City of Greensboro on a neighborhood plan to guide this revitalization. You can find out more at:
Glenwood Neighborhood (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Departments/hcd/planning/neighplan/Glenwood.htm - broken link)

We are also working with Habitat for Humanity and other community groups on various projects in Glenwood. We have a core of dedicated community activists that are working hard to make Glenwood into something special & unique. If you want an established "safe" neighborhood, look elsewhere. But if you want a vibrant up-and-coming community where you can really make a difference, please check Glenwood out! You certainly sound like you have an open mind and a positive attitude.

If you want to see what the future of Glenwood might look like, drive down Glenwood Ave. or Lexington Ave. where many of the houses have been restored. There's still a lot of work to be done to realize Glenwood's potential, but I believe it's going to happen.

~Becky Kates
Secretary, Greater Glenwood Neighborhood Association

Last edited by rekates; 09-15-2007 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point