Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 PM

41 posts, read 59,668 times

Advertisements

I am leaving Reno, NV tomorrow morning, and heading East. I plan to buy a house, and I want to find a place that is more affordable than Reno.
(I also want to move east where there are trees and green grass) But aside from
just affordable housing, I want a place that has potential to appreciate.
I could pick Indiana, for example, which has very affordable housing.
But their home appreciation is nil, even negative in many areas. North Carolina
seems like a good fit for my criteria. Do you all want another outsider coming in? I have spent months researching Indiana, until finally deciding to not go there. I do not have the energy to undertake another research project,
namely North Carolina. I think I will just fly by the seat of my pants, and show up! If you would, please give me an idea of what area I should go to
based on the following information. I am a charter bus driver in Reno.
I also have a truck driver's CDL. I hope to be doing commercial driving in
North Carolina. I can only afford a 130-140K house. I don't want to
live in the slums, and prefer a nice older neighborhood (or new neighborhood
if the prices are right). I really am leaving tomorrow. Whatever ideas or
insights you can give me would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
There are quite a few trucking companies in and around the Greensboro/High Point area. Don't know if you have checked into any yet, but you'll find quite a few.

As far as housing, you can probably find something small and older in your price range. Just be very careful of some of the older neighborhoods; take a drive through them at various times of the day.

I don't recall... are you coming alone or do you have family in tow? That can make a big difference in what you are looking for.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 PM

41 posts, read 59,668 times
I am coming alone. I am single and have no one else to worry about. On the other hand, North Carolina is a long ways from Nevada. I only wish I could get
an idea of what the area is like before going there. I suppose I can always browse this forum looking for insights, but like I said, I'm tired of researching.
If all I can find is something small and older in North Carolina for my price range (130-140) I might be well-advised to go somewhere where I can afford a nice house, such as Indiana. UNLESS there are nice smaller cities
in North Carolina where housing is cheaper, yet the city is not isolated.
One quick question, are there a lot of roads in North Carolina that are
narrow, two-lane? I have never been to NC, but this has always been
my impression. And if so, does this make for frustrating driving in your state?
What is the terrain of Greensboro like? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Greensboro is in the Piedmont (central) area of the state. We have "rolling green hills", but nothing too large. The further west you go in our state, the bigger the hills get until you're in the mountains, which are about 2 hours from here.

You can get a pretty decent/nice new construction home in your price range. It will more than likely be a "cookie-cutter" home, but that's not bad if it's your first home. You can always get something more unique a few years down the road.

There's been quite a bit of road construction (and still is) in Greensboro, so I don't think there are a lot of 2-lane narrow roads. It just depends on where in Greensboro you live and how far away from town you are.

The area of town with the best reputation is northwest Greensboro, but western, southwest and southern Greensboro aren't bad, depending on the neighborhood. With Southern Greensboro, the further south (moving towards Randolph County) the better.

You should first check out homes in the 27407, 27408, 27410 and 27455 zip codes. Pleasant Garden is also very nice.

If you want to live away from the hustle and bustle (though it may not be as busy as Reno), check out Stokesdale, Pleasant Garden (as I already mentioned), Climax, Julian, and other small communities in Rockingham and Randolph Counties. You might also like McCleansville (east of Greensboro), Mebane (Alamance County) or Graham (Alamance County).

As you can see, there are plenty of small towns around Greensboro to look into.

Guilford County taxes are higher than those in surrounding counties (not sure about Forsyth County, to our west), so if that concerns you, look outside of Guilford County.

Just a little FYI, the mountains are about 2 hours west of Greensboro and the beach is about 4 hours east. (Probably 5 hours if you want to go to the Outer Banks.) There's plenty of things to do outdoors (hang gliding, llama treks, rock climbing, white water rafting, canoeing, kayaking, cycling, fishing, boating, etc.), so if you're into that, you should enjoy NC.

I wish you all the best.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Thumbs up Best Regards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is that rain View Post
I am leaving Reno, NV tomorrow morning, and heading East. I plan to buy a house, and I want to find a place that is more affordable than Reno.
(I also want to move east where there are trees and green grass) But aside from
just affordable housing, I want a place that has potential to appreciate.
I could pick Indiana, for example, which has very affordable housing.
But their home appreciation is nil, even negative in many areas. North Carolina
seems like a good fit for my criteria. Do you all want another outsider coming in? I have spent months researching Indiana, until finally deciding to not go there. I do not have the energy to undertake another research project,
namely North Carolina. I think I will just fly by the seat of my pants, and show up! If you would, please give me an idea of what area I should go to
based on the following information. I am a charter bus driver in Reno.
I also have a truck driver's CDL. I hope to be doing commercial driving in
North Carolina. I can only afford a 130-140K house. I don't want to
live in the slums, and prefer a nice older neighborhood (or new neighborhood
if the prices are right). I really am leaving tomorrow. Whatever ideas or
insights you can give me would be great. Thanks.
Is that rain;

Wish you the best!
"May the Wind be always at your back"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point