U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM

747 posts, read 1,578,066 times

Advertisements

I read quite a few folks on the forum taking about oppressive humidity in the Greensboro area, but the statistics tend to disagree. Am I reading this chart correctly that average humidity is only 57% in July and the highest is onlyt 58%? Doesn't sound too oppressive to me?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 AM

254 posts, read 825,335 times
Anyone that complains about humidity here has apparently never been to Florida, Alabama or Mississippi. I spent last summer in central Alabama. Every day by 9 a.m., humidity was above 80% and the temperature had already passed 85 degrees. Most days were above 90% humidity and 90 degrees. But it never rained! Five minutes standing in the shade were enough to drench anyone from head to toe.
No, humidity is not bad here. Some days, it gets humid, but never oppressively so. Of course, I grew up here.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default Perspective

I think it's all about perspective -- if you're from Florida or anywhere else in the Deep South, it's not bad. If you're from Vermont, then maybe it's bad. I lived in Greensboro for several years (and I'm a native Floridian) and wouldn't classify summers as oppressive by any means. Some years may be hotter than others, but it all depends on what you're currently acclimated towards. I found the summers to be milder and certainly shorter than FL and Georgia.

I will say, however, that coastal NC - and perhaps even the Raleigh area - appear to be hotter than GSO ... or at least are more humid.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I think it's all about perspective -- if you're from Florida or anywhere else in the Deep South, it's not bad. If you're from Vermont, then maybe it's bad. I lived in Greensboro for several years (and I'm a native Floridian) and wouldn't classify summers as oppressive by any means. Some years may be hotter than others, but it all depends on what you're currently acclimated towards. I found the summers to be milder and certainly shorter than FL and Georgia.
I will say, however, that coastal NC - and perhaps even the Raleigh area - appear to be hotter than GSO ... or at least are more humid.

I split my time between Miami and Raleigh and can tell you that Raleigh feels like a desert compared to Miami.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,348 times
I never understood the complains about the humidity, it's not that bad.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM

69 posts, read 144,671 times
It is relative - I've lived here my entire life, and never thought anything about it. But flying into Durham one summer coming back from CA, I could feel the humidity in the plane! It all depends on what you're used to. The same as the fact that I was amazed by the lack of mosquitoes in CA because they seem like our state bird at times.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 AM

59 posts, read 137,691 times
The heat in the summer can be bad, averaging 85-95 in July and August. The humidity can be high during those months, but in general is not opressive. Florida is much worse (sorry Floridians). The fact is everything is air conditioned, so whether at work, home, in the car, at a store or restaurant, you'll rarely be out in the heat/humidity.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
I dislike July/August here about as much as Jan/Feb. I find myself inside more than I want to be during those 4 months. I am an outdoorsy southern CA person, so I am having a hard time adjusting to the mosquitoes, humidity and cold. However, as many have said it is all relative because I know there are many places far colder and humid than NC. I also find it extremely hard to not have my windows open with fresh air. The other day when it was 45 or so, I actually opened up my whole house for some fresh air. I do it in the summer until about 10AM too. It drives my local friends crazy!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I dislike July/August here about as much as Jan/Feb. I find myself inside more than I want to be during those 4 months. I am an outdoorsy southern CA person, so I am having a hard time adjusting to the mosquitoes, humidity and cold. However, as many have said it is all relative because I know there are many places far colder and humid than NC. I also find it extremely hard to not have my windows open with fresh air. The other day when it was 45 or so, I actually opened up my whole house for some fresh air. I do it in the summer until about 10AM too. It drives my local friends crazy!
If you look on the bright side of things....
  • You can go swimming at night because the humidity keeps the air warmer at night
  • You can actually go in the ocean without freezing to death
  • When you open your windows, the air is less polluted
  • You can afford a home with more windows and more land for times you want to be outside.
...just trying to look at it differently.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,248,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I never understood the complains about the humidity, it's not that bad.
I agree. I've always lived somewhere along the East coast and I've never felt it to be all that much worse. And I hardly ever encounter mosquitos, gnats, or horseflys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point