U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM

9 posts, read 51,280 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Burlington, NC and we're trying to figure out where to live. Although we've visited Burlington a few times, we don't know the neighborhoods/schools/etc. We're familiar with Chapel Hill from our college days and we know the schools have a great reputation. We have two young kids so schools are important. So what's your opinion...Should we live in Chapel Hill and commute to Burlington? Or live in Burlington and pay for private schools? If anyone makes this commute frequently, let me know what it's like. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,939,390 times
I commute from SW Durham (near Southpoint Mall) to the far weat side of Greensboro daily. While my commute is long, I would say it is relatively stress-free. The freeway moves pretty well in both directions (although westbound 40 is always bottlenecked at Exit 270, but that's going opposite the way your husband would go anyway). Getting back into Chapel Hill can be a bit of a challenge once you get off the freeway, but that all depends on where in Chapel Hill you want to be.

Mike

Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,616,694 times
you can always try the rest of Orange county...look in hillsborough, efland and the orange county side of Mebane. shorter commute into Burlington, but orange county schools...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Mike, thanks for your input. It seems like the commute would be doable if we live along the northern part of Chapel Hill. I think it's about 30 miles from Burlington at that point. Although 30 miles might not equal 30 mins during rush hour.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 AM

31 posts, read 87,075 times
The schools in Mebane and western Orange Co. are better than the schools in Chapel Hill. I'm convinced South Mebane Elementary may be the one of best elementary schools in the state. The money you will save on taxes would pay for private school as well. Eastern Alamance high and Cedar Ridge high are also outstanding.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM

dimecovers3, thanks for the tip about south mebane elementary. We'll be visiting the area this weekend and plan on checking out mebane as a possible place to live. I've also heard good things about Hillsborough (Is that where Cedar Ridge High is?) but that seems to be about the same commute from Burlington as CH.

I'd like to be as close to Burlington as possible while being in a good school system. I'm probably old-fashioned in this but by "good" I mean, a safe and nurturing school where kids are given the opportunity to learn the basics and where families are involved in school activities. Not as interested in test scores, "gifted" education, or language immersion programs...just a solid education in a safe environment. I think this also may be strike against us living in Chapel Hill because I think they stress these options. So if anyone can think of a school that sounds like this let me know.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM

31 posts, read 87,075 times
Hillsborough or Mebane show Chapel Hill for the crime, culture, and education scam dump it is. Move West or Bust!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Just got back from our house hunting trip to the area and we decided to live in alamance county. I think there are plenty of good schools in Burlington and nearby towns (Mebane, Hillsborough) so there's no reason to commute an extra 30-40 minutes to work each day. Thanks for all of your input. We're headed west!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,038,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCarolina View Post
Just got back from our house hunting trip to the area and we decided to live in alamance county. I think there are plenty of good schools in Burlington and nearby towns (Mebane, Hillsborough) so there's no reason to commute an extra 30-40 minutes to work each day. Thanks for all of your input. We're headed west!
Hummmm, part of Mebane is in Orange County, with the subsequent higher taxes.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM

67 posts, read 77,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCarolina View Post
Orange County schools are pretty good. Glad you found a house nearby your jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point