U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,271 times

Advertisements

Trying to get a handle on how many New Yorkers around Winston-Salem. Would also like to know how long you have been there. Would also appreciate any advice on areas in which to relocate. I am especially interested in communities along old highway 52 that runs from Mount Airy to Winston-Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM

101 posts, read 313,765 times
What do you consider to be "Upstate New York"?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Default upstate ny

We are from a little village called Copenhagen. Most people are more familiar with the city of Watertown which is about a 15 min. drive.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 AM

A lot of times on these forums, people who are from "upstate" are from the Albany area, or even south of that--down towards NYC. I would consider Copenhagen "Northern" NY, I grew up in Pulaski, and lived in Ellisburg, too. I used to work at JCC in Watertown, I've never been to Copenhagen, but I'm familiar with Lowville which is very similar to Pulaski. I've lived in Davdison County since 2006, I'm located about 20 miles south of Winston-Salem. There aren't too many "yankees" around here, and people notice my accent when I go into stores here--some comment on it, some don't. Most people here think that New York means New York City, they have no idea how remote places like Oswego, Jefferson, and Lewis counties are. It's actually quite bustling here in comparison to where you're from.

I only go to Winston to shop once in a while, or take art classes at a place called Sawtooth. I've only been to Mt. Airy once, it's a smallish town that has fallen on hard times, like lots of others around. I know there is a huge hispanic population around there, and all the related crimes that go along with that. The scenery in this part of the state is very similar to northern NY--except the snowfall amounts are nothing in comparison.

If you are relocating and hope to find a job, I would definitely say to secure employment before moving. The unemployment rate here is about 12-15% and there doesn't seem to be any sign of improvement.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 PM

cny2cny
Thank you very much for your reply. Happy to hear from another "Northern New Yorker". Yes, I should have stated that I was from northern new york. It's true, most people expect that we all hail from nyc. I am disabled from an on -the- job injury and my wife has arthritis which has been causing her more pain and discomfort over the years;hence, the desire to relocate to a milder climate. We visited Wilkes and Surry Counties 2 years ago and thought that we might one day relocate. Disappointed to hear about the high unemployment rate, we have adult children and grandchildren that are watching what we are going to do. I think should we relocate some of them won't be far behind. Wife and I are arriving next week to check out some areas along route 52 like King, Rural Hall, and over to Walkertown. We also would like to learn more about communities near Clemmons.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM

dharris688: As long as finding a job isn't part of your relocation plan, you should be ok. I don't know too much about King, Rural Hall, or Walkertown, sorry I can't help you with those towns. I know 52 from Lexington to Winston, that's about it. Clemmons is a built-up nightmare, in my opinion. They didn't really plan for all the growth, and there's way too much traffic and too many developments there for my taste. Good luck to you in your potential move--I hope the weather improves a little bit for your visit, it's been pretty cold all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point