U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,115,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
this has to be the most helpful group of people in any forum...You guys make me smile

Just another reason why NC is so great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
Hear, hear! Someone who has the intestinal fortitude to tell it like is. The only thing I disagree about is Chapel Hill. I'm from there. AFAIC, it took a huge nosedive when Money Magazine rated it the #1 place to live in the USA years ago.

So much for those ratings that people seem to put so much stock in.

P.S. "Right to work" states are more accurately labeled " hire and fire at will" states.

Regards,

Cassie
A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-10-2006 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 09:48 PM

49 posts, read 211,589 times
Thumbs up You guys are great!

All this info is much appreciated. All your post are very helpful.

I'm thinking to rent at the Nissan Apartments at 310 W 4th Street. Anybody familiar with them and the area?
Seems like a good location until I learn to drive. Also, I saw on the city website that there seems to be a lot of folks who ride bikes and that you can hook your bike on the bus. Any bicycle riders out there?

Thanks everybody

Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,843,456 times
Wow...sounds like you got a really centralized location. Don't know the apartments themselves, but you really can't get a more convenient location, geography-wise.

You're like a couple of blocks from the main county library. And you're real close to Salem College...was that where you wanted to study nursing?? If so, you can practically walk there. Winston-Salem State Univ is also about a bicycling distance from there too, so that's a plus as well.

Good luck! We need all the nurses we can get in this country!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 AM

463 posts, read 1,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be.
Yes, I know. I was being funny/facetious. Mostly the latter

Last edited by Yac; 08-11-2006 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,652,944 times
- while NY is a HIGHLY unionized state, if you are not protected by one and many are not, we too are an at will state ... you can be terminated for any reason ... most companies here have policies with regard to what is cause for termination to protect themselves from the law. (most probably due in other states too) but there are always creative ways employers can find to terminate you without breaking the law.

IMO, in any state unless you are part of a union, there is no "safe" or "Secure" employment anymore. Our business climate in the US has changed. Someone even told me now law firms are starting to higher a lot of their admin work OVERSEAS-

Old 08-13-2006, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,876 times
I don't live there, but know the area well. I've done a lot of work up there. I'll try to give my complete look into the city from jobs to nighlife and anything else I can think of. Feel free to add to the list, if i missed anything. It is a nice place to live. It is ranked as one of the top 50 places to live by Mercer and the cheapest place to live in the United States among cities selected. Your money will go far.

Winston-Salem is experiencing job growth in a variety of fields. The city just gained it's third Fortune 500 company. It will begin trading on NYSE next month with $4.7 billion in revenue. Only Charlotte has more Fortune 500 headquarters than Winston-Salem in the Carolinas. Winston-Salem led all of North Carolina in 2005 in job growth. Currently, Winston-Salem leads the 12 county metro area in job growth. The Clearing House Company that processes over a $1.5 trillion in bank transactions daily has just opened a location in Winston-Salem. They are currently hiring. Exhibit Works is about to open their southern location in the city. They design and make the exhibit displays you see at trade shows. And GlycoMark is considering the city for a biomanufacturing facility. The eastern end of downtown is a hot growth area with their Piedmont Triad Research Park. There's always a new company or construction over there. The downtown is also experiencing growth. Of the Triad's three cities, Winston-Salem is the one that feels the most like a city. Living in downtown, you will experience that. There are numerous condo developments underway. One will be a 22 story highrise with retail and a huge city park.

The Nissen Building was the state's tallest building and Winston-Salem's tallest building when it was built and remained the tallest in the state and city until Winston-Salem's ReynoldsAmerican Tower was built in 1929 at Fourth and Main. People call that one the little Empire State Building. Winston-Salem was the state's largest city back then. The Nissen Building was an office tower built by the founder of Nissen Carriage Works. It is now all apartments and very nice ones! Quiznos Subs, Bruegger's Bakery & Cafe and Dilworth Coffeehouse are leasing the ground floor retail spaces at Nissen Apartments. You will have to visit Mellow Mushroom Pizza next door too. Very nice place and always packed. In the evenings during the summer, you'll enjoy three nights of live music in the streets each week, first Friday gallery hops year-round within walking distance of your apartment and all the nice people who call the city home. Burke Street, Fourth Street and Trade Street are where it's at in Winston-Salem. I like Speak Easy Jazz on 4th, which is also near Nissen Apartments. The Steven's Center also has independent movies in an old silent movie theatre used for perfomring arts and films. If you like film, be sure to visit the annual River Run Film Festival. This will take place right at your front door. Winston-Salem is nicknamed the Festival City and you'll see why during the spring, summer and fall. You can also walk from your apartment to Old Salem. Old Salem is a downtown neighborhood of houses, businesses and churches from the 1700's. Very historic and touristy. There are plans for a rail based streetcar system that will run on 4th and take you to Baptist Medical Center, but it won't be in place until 2010 at the earliest. The city is currently working to make the place more bike & pedestrian friendly. You'll see new bike lanes soon. Council is making new sidewalks a priority. The hospitals are growing fast and Winston-Salem is tops in the state in medical care with the 2nd and 3rd largest hospitals. You name the medical field and you can work in there. Baptist is a research hospital. If you are into medical research, it is worth looking into.

I could keep going on and on. It is a nice place and I've considered moving there every time I visit.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 PM

49 posts, read 211,589 times
This is for everybody asking about W-S. The posts in this thread are great.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGIRL View Post
Hello. I'm from NYC. I'm thinking about moving to Winston-Salem to study nursing. What's life like there? Any tips for a near middle-age single woman with no kids who is relocating as a student? Do I need to learn to drive? Do I need to know anything special being an African-American? Any suggestions on where to worship? Thanks everyone.
Why would you move from the city to study nursing in Winston-Salem? Last I checked, there were more colleges/universities/community colleges in the 5 boroughs than in the entire state of NC. plus you will pay out-of-state tuition until you establish residency - takes 1 year.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper View Post
.... I am from Akron OH, looking to move near Raleigh to study nursing. Good luck to you!
Why??? Do you have a scholarship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point