Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM

123 posts, read 278,297 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I have a four day visit planned for Winston-Salem in September. What Place's to Visit or things to do would you recommend as a must not miss?
Also any idea on somewhere pleasant to stay? is the Brookstown Inn a nice hotel? We will be looking at houses and trying to get a feel for the area. We being me and my wife both in our early forties, almost moved to Durham 2 years ago but relocation deal did not work out. Have a good feel for NC visited Durham,Raleigh,Chapel Hill and surrounding areas on a few visits just never made it to WS. My wife loves history, gardens and art.
Thank you all. Roughly how long of a drive from the airport (GSO) to downtown WS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
As far as seeing things, you have to go to Old Salem. It is absolutely wonderful!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Hi All
I have a four day visit planned for Winston-Salem in September. What Place's to Visit or things to do would you recommend as a must not miss?
Also any idea on somewhere pleasant to stay? is the Brookstown Inn a nice hotel? We will be looking at houses and trying to get a feel for the area. We being me and my wife both in our early forties, almost moved to Durham 2 years ago but relocation deal did not work out. Have a good feel for NC visited Durham,Raleigh,Chapel Hill and surrounding areas on a few visits just never made it to WS. My wife loves history, gardens and art.
Thank you all. Roughly how long of a drive from the airport (GSO) to downtown WS.
Old Salem, Bethabara Park, Reynolda Gardens, Tanglewood Park

GSO to downtown W-S is around 20 minutes.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Quote:
is the Brookstown Inn a nice hotel?
Oh yeah, definitely.

Quote:
Roughly how long of a drive from the airport (GSO) to downtown WS.
20 minutes. (take Business-40, not I-40).

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Brookstown Inn is great! I used to live a couple of blocks from it. If you stay there, go to Ollie's Bakery, just around the corner, for scrumptious goodies. Mary's Of Course is across the street from Brookstown Inn and a great place for Saturday or Sunday brunch.

You should definitely put the Downtown Art District on your short list, including Piedmont Craftsmen at the corner of 6th and Trade. Plan to eat at Sweet Potatoes while in that area.

Do not miss Reynolda House Museum of American Art. Reynolda Gardens was mentioned above. They are together.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Brookstown Inn is great! I used to live a couple of blocks from it. If you stay there, go to Ollie's Bakery, just around the corner, for scrumptious goodies. Mary's Of Course is across the street from Brookstown Inn and a great place for Saturday or Sunday brunch.

You should definitely put the Downtown Art District on your short list, including Piedmont Craftsmen at the corner of 6th and Trade. Plan to eat at Sweet Potatoes while in that area.

Do not miss Reynolda House Museum of American Art. Reynolda Gardens was mentioned above. They are together.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. My mom just stayed at Brookstown Inn and now plans on doing all of her future visits there. It is a fabulous location in Old Salem. She loved bringing goodies to our house from Ollie's. I don't think I have ever had such a delicious scone before! We always bring her to Sweet Potatoes for an amazing southern meal. They just added a spaghetti dish (not Italian) for only $10 that is to die for. I LOVE their fried chicken. The other suggestions by Roadpony pretty much cover seeing W-S.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
Old Salem is a definate in terms of walking distance from the Brookstown Inn. There is also the Shaffner House near Brookstown, the August Zevely House B&B in Old Salem, as well as a couple of B&Bs in West End if you want accomodations that are out of the norm. Old Salem has its share of history, art, great architecture, and free gardens (as well as strolling thru God's Acre), but not mentioned were the historic Tannenberg Organ at the Visitor's Center, the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (our regional version of Winterthur), and the much underrated Toy Museum (has an amazing collection of rare and antique toys from early America and Europe). The arboretum at Tanglewood can be enjoyed for the $2 park entrance fee; I was there last month with family and it was beautiful. The gardens at Reynolda and Bethabara can be enjoyed for free. There is the Museum of Anthropology at Wake Forest University if you like natural history, and the Winston Cup Museum near the arts district downtown if you like NASCAR. UNC School of the Arts near Old Salem to the south offers various performances in drama, music, and dance on campus as well as the Roger L Stevens Center downtown. There are numerous art galleries in the arts district as well as the Hanes Gallery at Wake Forest. Have Fun!!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM

123 posts, read 278,297 times
Default Review

Short review of our visit.

Winston Salem is a wonderful city, very impressed.

Likes, pretty much everything. Old Salem was just beautiful, Tanglewood park enchanting. Downtown Winston Salem 4th street busy on a Friday night.
Only negative was our room in the Brookstown. Lots of mold in the bathroom yuck! we almost wanted not to stay there, O and Olies bakery was great. Thanks all for those that chimed in, we had a great stay. We will return.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
cool place nearby is stone mountain

Stone Mountain Photo Tour

Address: 3042 Frank Parkway, Roaring Gap, NC 28668
GPS coordinates: 36.3873, -81.0273

Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 36,185 times
i used to work in the top floor of Brookstown Inn. It's a decent place. the sound kinda travels a little bit there.

Across the street from Mary's is a high-end restaurant (forgot the name), and a couple blocks down the road is the Celtic Cafe, and Irish restaurant/bar. There's also a Mexican restaurant a block away.

Your wife will absolutely love walking around Old Salem if she has those interests. There's a fancier restaurant on the ground, too, though i can't give a review. It's walking distance from Brookstown Inn, if you were considering staying at that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point