U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Triad, NC
254 posts, read 826,028 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
I would chose Winston. Last year when we were down there drove over to Gboro and were not impressed at all. But to each his/her own. And I know this is a frequently debated comparison on this forum and strong opinions are voiced.
I have lived in both Gboro and W-S, and currently reside in W-S because I prefer walking to my office. Clearly, there are many things to consider when picking where to live.
I had only suggested Gboro to ensure that you had at least considered it (I assume you're looking only at urban options).
For me, if not for my desire not to drive to work, I'd not have sold my home in Gboro and relocated. But, obviously, each person has his/her personal wants/needs when deciding on a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Triad, NC
254 posts, read 826,028 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Okay, fair enough. If I misinterpreted your post or overreacted, I apologize. But your words seemed to clearly say that Greensboro has everything Winston has, without the negatives. And to that I say BS. Seriously, you know 20-30 people who have moved to Winston, and all but one regret it? I find that highly unusual, and quite contrary to my empirical evidence (which consists mostly of conversations with many people who live here and love it).
To each his own. I don't find it unusual at all, as my neighbors here have told me the same thing. I would take this to mean that you and I must associate with different types of folks.
The only W-S residents I've ever met who "love it" are people who were born here and have always lived here.
And, although perhaps an exaggeration, I do think it's safe to say that the reference from my initial post is somewhat accurate. Parks, trails, arts, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, good schools and colleges, and low crime rates are all to be found in equal to greater quantity/quality in Gboro, and without certain disadvantages, such as W-S traffic and sprawl. But let's be honest, the two are quite similar due to their proximity to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 AM
 
2,650 posts, read 6,092,287 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
To each his own. I don't find it unusual at all, as my neighbors here have told me the same thing. I would take this to mean that you and I must associate with different types of folks.
The only W-S residents I've ever met who "love it" are people who were born here and have always lived here.
And, although perhaps an exaggeration, I do think it's safe to say that the reference from my initial post is somewhat accurate. Parks, trails, arts, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, good schools and colleges, and low crime rates are all to be found in equal to greater quantity/quality in Gboro, and without certain disadvantages, such as W-S traffic and sprawl. But let's be honest, the two are quite similar due to their proximity to each other.
Sorry, but your post really baffles me. First let me say that I have nothing at all against Greensboro. I think it's a great place to live, and it's proximity to Winston makes living here better because it's a short drive to take advantage of all Greensboro has to offer. However, I do take exception to your comments which seem to paint Winston in an unfavorable light compared to Greensboro. And while I certainly respect your right to your opinion, I wouldn't want those seeking information about the two cities to get the impression that everyone shares that opinion. For example, you claim that Winston has worse traffic and sprawl, but for the life of me I can't see why anyone would say that. Greensboro has many congested/sprawl areas, such as High Point Rd., Wendover, NC 68, Battleground Ave., etc. I find getting around Winston to be much easier and convenient than Greensboro. Other than the Hanes Mall area, most of Winston has virtually no traffic issues except maybe for 15 minutes of "rush hour".

You say the only people you've met who love Winston are life-long residents. Well, I'm one who wasn't born here, and I love it. Most of the people I know love it here too, and no, they were not born here.

Again, you have a right to your opinion. But in my experience, not many people share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Triad, NC
254 posts, read 826,028 times
Reputation: 124
I think we've gone off-subject, but again, it appears that we must associate with vastly different folks. My original point wasn't that W-S is terrible, but that the vast majority of people who have voiced their opinions to me on the subject much prefer GSO to W-S. That end of it isn't scientific. I do also find it odd that the people with whom we associate must hold such strong opinions of these towns, but in opposing contrast. You say that most non-native Winston residents you know like the town, and yet I have struggled to find such people. I'm not daft enough to believe there are none, but when a subset (transplants who prefer W-S to GSO) out of hundreds (all transplants who've provided their opinion to me) contains a small number of people, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the people in that subset probably represent a minority of the total population. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Now, if we're talking traffic, for instance, then it does become scientific, as W-S has vastly greater commute times for intracity travel. Greensboro has a few arteries that become clogged at rush hour but rarely at off-peak times, whereas W-S has several major and minor roads that are congested even at off-peak times (e.g. Hanes Mall Blvd. and Stratford). US 52 is congested for hours each day, as is Business 40. Traffic is just one example that quickly comes to mind because researching Triad commutes is part of my job. But, again, it's all subject to each individual's wants and needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Greensboro
627 posts, read 1,864,582 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I love good food and to cook too. I really miss Trader Joe's, but I have heard rumors one is coming to Greensboro and there are now 3 in Charlotte. I have found going to Whole Foods, Costco, Piedmont Farmer's Market and balancing things out with Harris Teeter & Lowe's grocery store keeps me feeling pretty satisfied. I have also started to get a few things at World Market. I don't think I could live in an area that doesn't have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's! I have to make more stops now, but after a year I have figured out how to do it in a way that doesn't feel like I am running all over town.
There has been a rumor for years about either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods coming to Greensboro. I think there is a slim to none chance of that happening anytime soon because Harris Teeter has a lock on Greensboro. There are more HT's in Greensboro than any other city. TJ and WF knows that the demographic that they need to have a successful store has been monopolized by HT. It makes the area much less appealing for TJ and WF to open a new location here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,867 posts, read 6,666,753 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
We are trying to decide between moving to Columbia S.C. or Winston Salem. I noticed there is a Whole Foods in Winston which would give Winston the edge since cooking is my hobby.
Are there any other upscale food markets in Winston?
I find the entire debate between arbyunc and cohaagen baffling because the OP never indicated that he/she was even considering Greensboro.

To the OP’s original question… although I have never lived in Columbia, I have visited there in the summer and find the heat much more oppressive than Winston-Salem. I grew up in Raleigh and lived in W-S three different times after college for a total of nearly 20 years. This is no reflection on my present location, but I miss W-S a lot and would move back in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
 
40 posts, read 97,638 times
Reputation: 25
Hey, thanks for the comment. Yes, I assume that the heat in Columbia would be pretty extreme. We will probably wind up in W-S. And yes, I have never considered Gboro although I did live there for a year in my twenties.
I think W-S is a pretty city with lots going on in the arts. Also my son is very interested in music and good that NC School for the Arts is there.
Right now sitting in my office in Midtown Manhattan I am just glad it is in the mid fifties today and that winter is finally coming to an end.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Triad, NC
254 posts, read 826,028 times
Reputation: 124
Ha... Just forget I recommended Greensboro. Not knowing at the time how familiar you were with the area, I was only making sure that you realize that there are other options so close to W-S. Believe it or not, most people outside of NC do not. In my travels, I've met people all around the country (and even a few internationally) who have at least heard of W-S, but very few outside of NC who have heard of GSO. I've always found that odd, given the city's size and the fact that it had a national reputation well into the 70s.

I was once in Jacksonville, Fl speaking to an economic development group and said something about Greensboro, and one woman said, "I thought you said you were from NC."
She thought I was talking about Greensboro, Florida, a town with MAYBE a few hundred residents. I've seen that scenario repeated dozens of times. THAT is how poor Gboro's name recognition is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
 
109 posts, read 351,570 times
Reputation: 75
I've seen that scenario repeated dozens of times. THAT is how poor Gboro's name recognition is. I remember several years ago Murphy in the Morning was interviewing Rue McClanahan. Rue asked Murphy what city he was calling from and he so proudly said Greensboro, NC. Rue said I have never heard of Greensboro, NC, but I have been to Winston-Salem many times. Are you anywhere near Winston-Salem she said. I found this very amuzing since everyone is always so up on everything Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM
 
676 posts, read 2,803,823 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
About slow food movement and also about the Harris Teeter place. I was in Winston about 10 years ago and went into a really upscale grocery store and that must have been it.
I LOVE Trader Joes. We have them here in Connecticut. Good to know at least that TJs is thinking of opening again in Winston. I didn't know they had been there and left.
I am originally from NC [ Elkin] lived in NYC and CT since the 1980's but am retiring and moving back to the South and warmer winters. I have always liked Winston and my perception is that it is more "with it" and liberal/sophisticated than Columbia SC. However being 2 hours from the beach and in a city with a River Walk, Zoo, and Botanical Gardens sounds good too.
We are renting a beach house in Foley Island in June and will check out Winston on the way down and Columbia.
I am sorry for the confusion, but I am not from W-S and I meant I miss my CA Trader Joe's! It took me less than 1 hour to get to the Charlotte Trader Joe's, so I have stocked up a couple times. I know people who do it once a month. It sounds like you are familiar enough with the area to not face any shocks. I moved here blind, so my adjustment period took a bit longer....Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top