U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 AM

40 posts, read 97,581 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between moving to Columbia S.C. or Winston Salem. I noticed there is a Whole Foods in Winston which would give Winston the edge since cooking is my hobby.
Are there any other upscale food markets in Winston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM

870 posts, read 1,967,087 times
There is a Fresh Market as well. You might want to check out Slow Food Piedmont - Links to Slow Food Organizations, Local Food Discussion Groups and Resources

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM

676 posts, read 2,801,625 times
I love good food and to cook too. I really miss Trader Joe's, but I have heard rumors one is coming to Greensboro and there are now 3 in Charlotte. I have found going to Whole Foods, Costco, Piedmont Farmer's Market and balancing things out with Harris Teeter & Lowe's grocery store keeps me feeling pretty satisfied. I have also started to get a few things at World Market. I don't think I could live in an area that doesn't have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's! I have to make more stops now, but after a year I have figured out how to do it in a way that doesn't feel like I am running all over town.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Default Good to know

About slow food movement and also about the Harris Teeter place. I was in Winston about 10 years ago and went into a really upscale grocery store and that must have been it.
I LOVE Trader Joes. We have them here in Connecticut. Good to know at least that TJs is thinking of opening again in Winston. I didn't know they had been there and left.
I am originally from NC [ Elkin] lived in NYC and CT since the 1980's but am retiring and moving back to the South and warmer winters. I have always liked Winston and my perception is that it is more "with it" and liberal/sophisticated than Columbia SC. However being 2 hours from the beach and in a city with a River Walk, Zoo, and Botanical Gardens sounds good too.
We are renting a beach house in Foley Island in June and will check out Winston on the way down and Columbia.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM

254 posts, read 825,239 times
I've found that most conversations with people about whether to move to City X or to Winston, the real decision should be between City X and Greensboro (assuming the choice is between cities and not taking suburban bedroom communities into account). Quite simply, Greensboro has all of the positive aspects that Winston has, lacks most of Winston's negatives, and is close enough to Winston that anything in W-S worth doing is easily within a 20-40 minute drive.
That said, Columbia is an alright town, but let's be honest - the choice between Anytown, SC and Anytown, NC is rarely a choice at all.
As for "upscale" markets, I like Fresh Market well enough, but Whole Foods is seriously overpriced, is it not? It's been years since I have needed to worry with how I spend my money, but each time I shop at WF I feel like I should've first spoken with my accountant.
The Triad does have a fair number of good meat markets, international markets, fish markets, etc, not to mention our farmers' markets, although the options are diffuse. I'd like to see more good delis. While it may require more driving, I prefer the products at such places to those I find at WF, Fresh Market or HT. However, there are certain things for which supermarkets are better, and for those, I enjoy Fresh Market, HT, Super G and World Market.

Oh, and while being 2 hours from the beach is nice, living in the Triad has the advantage of being just 4-5 hours from better beaches and 1-3 hours from our gorgeous little mountains. Also, I wouldn't make the assumption that Columbia has a less liberal/sophisticated atmosphere than Winston, but then I've never spent more than a few days at a time there. From what I've experienced there, Columbia is one of the (very) few bright spots in a very dismal state.

Last edited by cohaagen; 03-08-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Agree that WFs is pricey and I would not do ALL my shopping there- just certain items. Also reading books etc about mass market meat production horrors, what little meat we eat, I'd rather buy top drawer. Also WFs is just such a pleasant experience for all the senses just being there [except wallet].
Thanks for all the comments. I have not lived in NC for a long, long time so just checking my assumptions.
Since we are a lesbian couple with two adopted Asian children and moving from a liberal part of the US to the South, I have reservations about anywhere in SC; but I HATE winter too.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
I've found that most conversations with people about whether to move to City X or to Winston, the real decision should be between City X and Greensboro (assuming the choice is between cities and not taking suburban bedroom communities into account). Quite simply, Greensboro has all of the positive aspects that Winston has, lacks most of Winston's negatives, and is close enough to Winston that anything in W-S worth doing is easily within a 20-40 minute drive.
This has to be dumbest thing I've read in a while. Are you seriously suggesting that one should never consider living in Winston-Salem over Greensboro? If so, that's quite laughable.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Default WS or Gboro

I would chose Winston. Last year when we were down there drove over to Gboro and were not impressed at all. But to each his/her own. And I know this is a frequently debated comparison on this forum and strong opinions are voiced.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM

254 posts, read 825,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
This has to be dumbest thing I've read in a while. Are you seriously suggesting that one should never consider living in Winston-Salem over Greensboro? If so, that's quite laughable.
I guess the best way to explain would be that, of the dozens of people/families who have moved to the Triad after asking my advice, most who settled in/around Gboro have been generally to ecstatically pleased with their choice, whereas there was only one (of perhaps twenty to thirty) who settled in/around W-S who did not quickly regret the decision (but she works at Baptist).
So, no, I wouldn't say that no one should consider W-S over Gboro, but it's been my experience that more people not from the area who settle here are pleased with Gboro than with W-S. Obviously, one should consider all options.
Just an empirical observation.

And by the way, I would counter that the dumbest thing I've read in a while would be your utter failure to understand my initial response, and the accompanying overreaction you provided.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
^ Okay, fair enough. If I misinterpreted your post or overreacted, I apologize. But your words seemed to clearly say that Greensboro has everything Winston has, without the negatives. And to that I say BS. Seriously, you know 20-30 people who have moved to Winston, and all but one regret it? I find that highly unusual, and quite contrary to my empirical evidence (which consists mostly of conversations with many people who live here and love it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point