U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 24,156 times

Advertisements

Hi I've lived in NY almost my entire life and I'm looking to move south a little. Looking for someplace that's warmer (very little to no snow at all would be ideal), where the people are friendly, the area must be safe, very little crime as I live alone. I am self employed and work out of my home. Would like a small town with a larger city close by. What is Greensboro like and the surrounding areas? Also, about health insurance, is it affordable in NC? Thanks so much for any info you can provide!

Oh, forgot to add I'd like someplace cheaper to live than NY - but any state other than CA fits that bill, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYhater View Post
Hi I've lived in NY almost my entire life and I'm looking to move south a little. Looking for someplace that's warmer (very little to no snow at all would be ideal), where the people are friendly, the area must be safe, very little crime as I live alone. I am self employed and work out of my home. Would like a small town with a larger city close by. What is Greensboro like and the surrounding areas? Also, about health insurance, is it affordable in NC? Thanks so much for any info you can provide!

Oh, forgot to add I'd like someplace cheaper to live than NY - but any state other than CA fits that bill, right?

Did you read this thread? It has a lot of good info:
Good/Bad areas in Greensboro, NC

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Greensboro--or anywhere in NC--does not fit the bill of "very little to no snow at all". There are usually 2-3 snowfalls per winter, and this past year in particular, Greensboro got walloped twice, I think.

I found this climate snapshot for Greensboro/Winston-Salem. It says the avg annual snowfall is about 9 inches (altogether). I'm sure you could find similar things by searching the right terms.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

138 posts, read 367,080 times
In comparison to a place, New York, that typically measures annual snowfall in feet, I think Greensboro's 8.8 inches annually would qualify as "little to no snow".

Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM

59 posts, read 137,691 times
Don't let the snow scare you off. We typically have very little each winter.
Greensboro is a great area to live. I lived in Jersey and worked in NYC for many years before moving to GSO twenty years ago. I wouldn't go back.
Greensboro has almost anything you could be looking for, is centrally located in the stae, so easy to get to the mountains, beaches, Raleigh and Charlotte. It's got many safe areas and certainly is safe for a single person.
There may be more to do in Charlotte and Raleigh, but higher home prices and more crime for sure.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Greensboro does tend to be Youth oriented, with the colleges and Universities, students make up a fair percent of the cities population. Also, concerts, university and college music departments, stage plays, many parks and street festivals and a revitalized downtown area. If you get bored in Greensboro, you may be lacking in imagination. Good coffee shop on Tate Street. Good coffee roasting company out Market Street, great selection and will roast to order, friendly shop staff.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 AM

69 posts, read 144,671 times
I've seen many, many New Yorkers move to the area and be quite happy here, and I agree - with the exception of this year the winters are pretty mild.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Greensboro--or anywhere in NC--does not fit the bill of "very little to no snow at all". There are usually 2-3 snowfalls per winter, and this past year in particular, Greensboro got walloped twice, I think.

I found this climate snapshot for Greensboro/Winston-Salem. It says the avg annual snowfall is about 9 inches (altogether). I'm sure you could find similar things by searching the right terms.
???? Little or no snow is exactly right. Compared to Upstate NY where it can start snowing in September and go thru april or may, we got nuttin. The most I can remember in years was Jan. 2nd 2000 where we got 14 inches. This winter cannot be used as an example of the kind of winters we usually have. Mostly we will get 2-4 inches and it melts in a day or so. That's mild.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 25,206 times
I spent most of my life in NY upstate and a few years in the city. I like the fact that the seasons change and the winters are mild at their worst. I think it is a great option but it ultimately depends on the life you want to live. Overall quality of life in my opinion is through the roof. Time exists here, people are great all in all. I could have moved anywhere in the world and this fit the bill for where I am at for this period in my life. If you give some examples of places you like upstate or in the surrounding regions of NYC I could give you some more direct comparisons etc...

If you move much further south the summer will be a bit more intense and winter slightly less so. Mountains and beach a few hours each way if you move somewhere near the TRIAD. good luck on wherever you chose to relocate. You will not miss NY, I rarely think about even visiting at this point minus a few lifelong friends. All depends on what you want out of life.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,138,691 times
I am surprised Greensboro gets over 8" of snow per year. I have always noticed the mountainous areas in Va get tons of snow, while the Piedmont area of NC usually gets a slushy snow and much more ice. Of course, this past winter was an exception with huge snowfalls! Myrtle Beach SC is only a little over 3 hours drive from GSO, Palm trees finally & one of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast. Even Myrtle got snow this year! Go figure the weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point