U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

199 posts, read 280,677 times

Advertisements

Hello all
I am interviewing for a job in Greensboro and am just looking at it blind.
I have never even been to North Carolina and do not know anything about it.

If I were to move over there, I would be working on the Western edge of Greensboro, right off I 40 near the airport.

Tell me anything you know about this area, good or bad.

I will have two kids in high school, so a good school is desirable. To me a good school is one that doesn't tolerate bullies, violence, racism, drugs, etc... I have come to realize no school will be perfect, but some are downright horrible. I also do not think the test scores of the students tell me a whole lot about a school, but it tells me a great deal about the community.

I am most interested in a small town feel with access to the larger metro for choices in shopping and entertainment. I don't like golf communities, lived in one and there was just to much of life focused on golf, maybe I aint old enough for that yet.

Anyway, any information you can give me about a town or community around the west side of Greensboro within a 30 minute commute of the Piedmont airport would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM

61 posts, read 149,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
Hello all
I am interviewing for a job in Greensboro and am just looking at it blind.
I have never even been to North Carolina and do not know anything about it.

If I were to move over there, I would be working on the Western edge of Greensboro, right off I 40 near the airport.

Tell me anything you know about this area, good or bad.

I will have two kids in high school, so a good school is desirable. To me a good school is one that doesn't tolerate bullies, violence, racism, drugs, etc... I have come to realize no school will be perfect, but some are downright horrible. I also do not think the test scores of the students tell me a whole lot about a school, but it tells me a great deal about the community.

I am most interested in a small town feel with access to the larger metro for choices in shopping and entertainment. I don't like golf communities, lived in one and there was just to much of life focused on golf, maybe I aint old enough for that yet.

Anyway, any information you can give me about a town or community around the west side of Greensboro within a 30 minute commute of the Piedmont airport would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jamestown is not too far from there. Population is about 3,500. Jamestown buttresses Greensboro, but it still has a small town feel, although it has seen a lot of development over the last 10 years.

If you lived in Jamestown, your kids would probably go to Ragsdale, which is a good public school. But there are also good private schools. The school system also offers alternative programs for kids that are into arts or really advanced students. Bullying is going to occur at most schools. But NC and Guilford County are pretty progressive when it comes to making learning inclusive.

Overall, this area provides good access to most parts of Greensboro and High Point with Hwy 68 and the new I-840 bypass. And Kernersville and Winston-Salem are just a short drive down I-40.

Good luck. Welcome.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM

138 posts, read 367,881 times
Traffic is not really an issue in the Triad so a 30 minute commute to the airport area allows you to live just about anywhere in the Triad since the airport is centrally located. As NCBarrister said, Jamestown & Kernersville are both popular areas, but don't limit yourself to just those.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 AM

59 posts, read 138,012 times
I would recommend the southwest or northwest side of Greensboro, Jamestown and Kernersville. All of those areas would fit your requiremnts and would be an easy commute to work.
You will be able to find great houing opportunites in any style and price range. It would be convenient to get toRaleigh & Charlotte from those areas.
This link may help with school info:

GreatSchools.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point