U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times

Advertisements

I am moving with teenage children who like to ski and snowboard. We live somewhat rural right now. Low poplulation usually equals low crime. Living in a welcoming and friendly community is our #1 priority. Are there mountains there....I have no idea what to expect. Living at the "tip of the mit" in MI right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM

69 posts, read 144,686 times
There are several great small town environments / rural areas on the outskirts of Greensboro. I live in Gibsonville, which I lovingly refer to as Mayberry It is a 10-20 minute drive to shopping/dining both in Greensboro and Alamance County. Other areas might include Pleasant Garden to the south & Browns Summit to the north of Greensboro. Living in Guilford County equates to a 2.5-3.5 hour drive to a variety of mountains to the west and NW both in NC and VA, and a 3.5-4.5 hour drive to a variety of North Carolina & South Carolina beaches. It is a great place to call home in my humble opinion.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 25,208 times
Even downtown greensboro has a small town feel compared to most of the north. Just the overall difference of the general population in my opinion. There are tons of small towns in and around the Triad area, too many to list in reality. It all depends on what you are shooting for in regards to your daily routine, drive times, winter is short the mountains a few hours away, schools, etc... but you also have the ocean when the snow season isn't happening. Cost of living varies a good bit depending on which little "town" or side of town you live on. The prices are all more than fair whether renting or buying.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 AM

21 posts, read 59,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilfordtrans View Post
Even downtown greensboro has a small town feel compared to most of the north. Just the overall difference of the general population in my opinion.
I disagree. I grew up in the South and have lived up North in Maine, Illinois, and Minnesota. I currently live in Greensboro. It's got more cars on the road than any place up North I've lived. Downtown G'boro is pretty congested during the day. It doesn't feel rural at all. West Friendly, West Market, Battleground and New Garden are always crammed full of cars. I would say Browns Summit is a lot quieter, if you're looking for a place right next to G'boro. Kernersville is a bit farther afield, but still pretty close. Then, you've got Reidsville and Lexington if you're looking to drive a lot.

To reiterate, Greensboro is about as rural as Charlotte.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM

59 posts, read 137,724 times
lundbythebay,
There are many areas on the outskirts of Greensboro and in the county that would have more of a rural feel. We still have plenty of farmland surrounding the city. We are about two plus hours to the mountains and ski areas.
Tell us a little more about what type of home you are looking for. Pretty much everything from subdivisions to homes with acreage is available.
I guarantee just what you are looking for is available here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point