U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 1,923,934 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Lexington, so I can tell you that the humidity is not exceptional there- it's the same all over the south. You will get used to it after a while, but there will be a time in july/aug where you will feel like you are walking thru jell-o every day.

When I grew up there, there wasn't much for kids to do, but there is much more now. Jobs aren't exactly plentiful, but if you don't mind the drive to HP/WS/GSO (about 30 mins) then you will be fine.

Depending on where you live (lots of trees or tall grass) the ticks won't be a problem. Our dogs had them occasionally but we lived near a field of tall grass that only got mowed once a year (Walser road) which is now mostly developed.

The thing about the weather is, we have it all. So you will def need the AC during the summer months, and the heat during the winter months. But there's less snow (mostly icy stuff) and there's a few weeks in spring and in fall that you can leave the windows open and not run your air or furnace. Which is nice. And it's beautiful here.

The YMCA is great, the parks and recreation department runs football, baseball, soccer, etc. not to mention other things so you can definitely keep the kids busy. When I was young, I was the only skateboarder in the town for a long time but that's definitely changed (it's been a good 20 years since I graduated!) so I bet you guys will have lots of stuff to do.

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times
my family has lived in Denton since the early 1800s. It is a VERY close knit community. It is a wonderful place to live and hasn't changed much. Some people want it to change, but hopefully it never will. To SUNNY: Mystery Hill??? Its called Gravity Hill. If you like to drink, you have to go across the river to buy beer and Tville for liquor. There are virtually no blacks and a handful of hispanics. I personally get fed up with northern implants coming in and thinking they will change the way of things, but thats the way life goes huh? I wouldn't recommend Denton for the average housing development, soccer mom type of people. If you don't feel comfortable with your kid camping, fishing, and riding a 4-wheeler, North Davidson is the place for you! Also, if you move to denton, I hope you love Bojangles. Not like..I mean passionately love, because that's the only fast food and the only restaurant opened passed 10...can you say BUFFALO BITES??!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 11,845 times
Denton is a lovely little town. Very good people and beautiful scenery. It looks the same as it did probably over 60 years ago. The only thing I don't like about Denton is that every year there are more and more outside liberals moving in and trying to change our way of life. As long as I've lived here I have seen a total of 1 black and maybe 2 or 3 mexicans. Moving from California to Denton will be an extreme culture shock and will be very hard for ya'll to get used to. For example, out there you have movie stars, beaches, and shopping malls; here in Denton we have bbq, a fall festival, and the largest tractor show in the southeast. However, if you're willing to take time to be accepted and get used to things, you probably will be fine.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,955,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntrybumzz View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help out with information with the Denton/ Lexington area. My family is considering moving from So. California to this area of N.C. We are used to fast paced city life and are ready to settle down to a simpler lifestyle. I am worried that my two boys 12 & 10 will not find enough to do and find themselves bored. Is this a friendly and safe area to raise our children? How about the schools and sports available. My boy's are very active in baseball, skateboarding and bike riding (BMX racing). Can anyone give me a realistic view on the weather. We are not use to bugs or humidity and can't quite get the true meaning of this. How long does this type of weather usually last? How concerned should we be with fleas and ticks for our animals (3 big dog's and 1 cat)? I hear that you have to have your airconditioning on 24/7 during the summer months, how much can we expect for a utility bill for say a 2000 sq ft home? In winter time would we need to run the furnace 24/7 as well?

Thank you so much for all of your help?

Shelli
It's been a few years since your post, did you move out this way?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonz2220 View Post
my family has lived in Denton since the early 1800s. It is a VERY close knit community. It is a wonderful place to live and hasn't changed much. Some people want it to change, but hopefully it never will. To SUNNY: Mystery Hill??? Its called Gravity Hill. If you like to drink, you have to go across the river to buy beer and Tville for liquor. There are virtually no blacks and a handful of hispanics. I personally get fed up with northern implants coming in and thinking they will change the way of things, but thats the way life goes huh? I wouldn't recommend Denton for the average housing development, soccer mom type of people. If you don't feel comfortable with your kid camping, fishing, and riding a 4-wheeler, North Davidson is the place for you! Also, if you move to denton, I hope you love Bojangles. Not like..I mean passionately love, because that's the only fast food and the only restaurant opened passed 10...can you say BUFFALO BITES??!
I know he hasnt posted in awhile but does anyone have directions
to Gravity Hill near Tuckertown DAM?

thanks
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point