U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,921 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help out with information with the Denton/ Lexington area. My family is considering moving from So. California to this area of N.C. We are used to fast paced city life and are ready to settle down to a simpler lifestyle. I am worried that my two boys 12 & 10 will not find enough to do and find themselves bored. Is this a friendly and safe area to raise our children? How about the schools and sports available. My boy's are very active in baseball, skateboarding and bike riding (BMX racing). Can anyone give me a realistic view on the weather. We are not use to bugs or humidity and can't quite get the true meaning of this. How long does this type of weather usually last? How concerned should we be with fleas and ticks for our animals (3 big dog's and 1 cat)? I hear that you have to have your airconditioning on 24/7 during the summer months, how much can we expect for a utility bill for say a 2000 sq ft home? In winter time would we need to run the furnace 24/7 as well?

Thank you so much for all of your help?

Shelli
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM

222 posts, read 848,929 times
Culture. Shock. I don't know where to begin to tell you how it might be for you. Lexington is a small town and Denton is a dot in the road. I have a friend that just this school year moved her children from South Davidson(Denton) to East Davidson (Thomasville) for the reason that more sports are offered and so her son will have to compete for playing spots on the teams, not to mention AP classes.

Friendly and safe? Yes, but I think 'outsiders' would be viewed with some caution. It is an area with generational ties, so you may find things rather cliquish.

Weather. Very humid, you will have to run your A/C all the time in summer and heat in the winter. As far as bugs go, yes, they are there. I'm not sure how to answer that question. Fleas and ticks are a concern for animals that go outdoors. Of course, you can treat them with Frontline from the vet.

I would say for hottest and coldest months, your electric bill would run $200-250/month. That would be for 1-2 months in each season.

Feel free to pm/email me if you have any other questions. Have you visited the area? You may find that an area like Clemmons may suit your needs just as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for the info you gave me. We have been to Denton and Lexington back in April. We really like High Rock Lake and just bought a piece of property there. We wont be building a house on it for a few years so we are looking at the surrounding area's. We are going to look into the community that you had mentioned.

Thanks again for you input.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
He hit it rather well. I find CA residents probably of any state has the most challenge to deal with the humidity because you have dry heat verses sticky but it only bad for about 3 months rest is just mild and you will like having 4 seasons but little snow and when it does snow it gone in a day or two.

You probably find a good deal on finding a home with actual yard. Far as your kids if they enroll in aliot of the schools extra curricualar activities like sports, band etc.

Denton isnt a very diverse population
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15263.png (broken link)

but Lexington is.

If you got the funds maybe invest in a boat or jet ski for them to use during the summer and mild fall.

Something that else is common in the area is ATV riding.

It is a close nit community but population is also sparse. I think your kids will do ok with this because local kids will be like ok cool someone new to hangout with. Also boys scouts is a good option as well.

I know it will be awhile before you move there but have a local tell you the directions to "mystery Hill" in Tuckertown (around corner of Denton) and the story behind it. Supposely this ghost pushes your car in neutral at bottom of this hill up the hill it great in the fall when the corn fields are high gives it a more eery feeling oh yeah go at night lol.
You also will be near Uwharrie Forest and they have various activities there
Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/ - broken link)

In the fall be cautious of your kids in the woods that surround Denton. Hunting is very popular in that area.

It is a great area to get your kids in touch with nature and you should definite treat them out for a day in Charlotte so they can enjoy some urban fun. (about 45 min to hour away on highway 49).

A great area to move to enjoy life with your family over the hustle bustle that urban life can distract you from. It also a safe community to raise a family.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Wow! You gave me a lot of great info. THANK YOU SO MUCH! My boys will be so excited to hear that ATVing is popular out there. They've been bugging me for years about getting motorcycles. The boat idea is right on target, we look forward someday to owning one.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
No problem I dont mind helping you out i know this thread section has less activity than the other threads wow you got two years I think you stated I dont think I could wait that long lol the anticipitation would kill me.

I grew up in Lexington but I know that whole county on back of my hand esp the backroads lol they are just fun to drive on just got to be careful at night not to hit a deer. hehe

I understand the boat deal it on my wish list as well so right now I settle with my kayak it easier to get in and out lol
Maybe you will become friends of other lake owners who will take you out on High Rock lake which is best at first because it a lake you need a depth finder and occasiaonal tree stump in the water.
I dont know if your building on the lake but if not there is loads of designated swimming spots to park and go take a dip around denton nc and southmont nc.
If you want to rent a boat you will need to go to Badin Lake (by Uwharrie Forest) also very close to you probably 15 minutes to one of the marinas that offer pontoon rentals.

I tried to find motocross info for you but it was a little challenge I know Lowes Motor Speedway has a dirt track that has had events in the past. And there is motocross parks east and west in this state. There is also Motorcycle atv trails in the Uwharrie Forest
Uwharrie Off (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/uwharrie_off.htm - broken link)

I guess you already research the area so you know what the state offers and have time to find out more If your kids like zoos there is one in Ashboro about 15 minutes from Denton but dont go when weather above 85 due to heat and animals will be hiding from heat as well lol. Places to check out in Charlotte is Discovery Place DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover
National Whitewater Center
US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\\\ (http://www.usnwc.org/default.asp - broken link) I freaked first time I whitewater but that was because I seen to many movies lol .

If you get urge for deeper mountains other than the Uwharrie blue ride is about 3 hour trip and if you get craving for the coast the beach is about 3.5 to 4 hours from Denton. Outer banks are really cool for windsurfing, wind boarding and hang gliding. about 6 to 7 hours but our waves dont even compare to so cal. and you can ride 4x4 cars, trucks on most of the beach.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM

107 posts, read 89,500 times
shelli, i grew up close to lex and denton. why dont you check out clemmons or arcadia because there is tanglewood park that has a great bmx track open to competition, and all sorts of other things.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM

26 posts, read 94,372 times
Having relocated myself I can hear what you are saying - I'm originally from NY. A simplier lifestyle would be an understatement. However, if you what quiet, except for the birds and crickets and you cannot reach out and touch your neighbor. I can't talk to activities for your children since I do not have any. There is a web site for NC Education - you can check on the best schools there. I have two dogs and a cat - and the best advise there is - Frontline and keeping them out of any tall grass. The summer's are very hot and humid but the long falls are wonderful. Your utility bills will probably average about 200 -300 depending on the type of fuel.

Keeping all of that in mind I love it here. I think it is a matter of what you are use to. I think it would be a great place to raise children.

May I suggest taking a vacation and visting for awhile before you make such a big leap.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 PM

19 posts, read 53,318 times
Wow! I have read all this info and I am intrigued. My family is moving to the Clemmons area and would like some info on that area if anyone has the time. We are moving from Maine. I have family in Raleigh and have seen the humidity and heat, but I am sure you have not seen a blizzard and 30 below weather in NC either. Please let me know about Clemmons or surrounding area. Thanks so much

Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,297 times
Post Curious 2 Know

I lived in Lexington from 1989-1993 and from 1996-2006, and I really loved it there. But Sunny got me with: "I know it will be awhile before you move there but have a local tell you the directions to "mystery Hill" in Tuckertown (around corner of Denton) and the story behind it. Supposely this ghost pushes your car in neutral at bottom of this hill up the hill it great in the fall when the corn fields are high gives it a more eery feeling oh yeah go at night lol." For the length of time that I lived in Lexington, I've never in my life heard of that, would love to take a peek at it, but would probably be scared to death. I think Lexington is a very nice place to raise your children, that's why I moved back their in 1996 from Charlotte, so that my children could go to school there. To me it was much safer than the schools in Charlotte. However, I left Lexington because there were no good jobs available around there. If things were to change for the better with the job industries, I would be right back down there. What I loved the most is that everybody is friendly, and if you live there long enough, if you don't know somebody by their name, you would know them by face. My kids were in a lot of activities there dealing with the school system, YMCA, and the Boys & Girls club. They were always involved in many activities. It wore me out taking them from time to time, but I did it, so that they could enjoy their life. I wish you the best with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point